Thread: 2021 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe '70s

2021 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe '70s

there are many things about this that are historically inaccurate but I don't give a rat's patootie It does not have a maple neck, no volute, no pancake body and the top is only 2 pieces. It may even have the wrong tuners but I don't care. When these were announced, I was intrigued. Thin Lizzy's sound was mostly Deluxe in the early days. A very good player in a regional band (Fox out of Berlin, NH, if anybody is familiar with them from the early-mid '70s) had a red Deluxe and I always admired his tone, wish I knew his name. Google didn't seem to hit on anything.

It's hard to believe it's been over a month already. Time has been flying by even if I haven't been busy (not by choice, had to rest and heal my back.) I did find a good electrical outlet to plug my amp into, and have been playing maybe not as often as I wish because my brother is working from home during the day and I try to be a good neighbor and not play late at night. I got some Presonus Eris 3.5" monitors and have them plugged direct into my audio interface. Turns out I don't even need to use the computer to hear the guitar through them. This is a whole new era for me, as I can play anytime, really, without worrying about the amp blaring. This guitar has been growing on me, hard to say if it's honeymoon fever but I'm thinking it's a keeper.

Pics

I took this under the kitchen overhead LEDs that are sort of blue-ish, seems to make the red darker

this in natural light is redder, which is closer to actual

the fretboard on this guitar is as nice or nicer than many CS Historics I've seen
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: 2021 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe '70s

Les Paul Deluxes of that era had necks of mahogany. I owned an original from 1974. It had a miserably-matched three-piece top with very little "dish" to the contours but after retrofitting it with a pair of "adult-sized" humbuckers it was a pretty nice-sounding instrument that served me in good stead for a number of years, at its ballsiest best through my Marshall Super Lead Plexi.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

interesting. some guy had said Deluxes of that era had maple necks. I've personally haven't seen that many in hand and the few that I saw looked like mahogany to me. Probably another internet 'factoid'.

! like that! The first Les Paul that I actually enjoyed playing was a 1970s Deluxe. The mini humbuckers worked for me.

Townshend made me love those. Wow.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

There were a couple years that they had maple necks.
    Most of them did have the pancake body, though. It's hard to say if the switch to a one-piece makes a difference in the sound though.
    |I did see that and I'm intrigued - though I don't forsee getting one in the near futur - unless |I hit the lottery or something. (I'm still in negotiations for a Epi Junior to replace the guitar I sold last month...)
    Still kinda kicking myself when |I was working at GC (before they became the behemoth they are now) we would get tons of 70s deluxes in, ranging from about $1000 to $1500. But at the time, aside from the pancake body, I didn't appreciate mini-buckers, or even P90s.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

thought the natural light in the living room was particularly inviting today