Thread: If you were going to get one offset, which one?

If you were going to get one offset, which one?

oops, I was thinking of making this a poll but I don't see that option

the return of studio1087 and his purchase of a squier jazzmaster got me wondering. Yes, I know, i was just talking about downsizing But, when I do pare down some duplicates, there's always room for something different, yes, no?

doing a little googling, it appears that the jazzmaster is the one offset that shares a 25.5" scale length with the two dominant fender models, the strat and tele. The mustang and jaguar share a shorter 24" scale length. The duosonic can be 22.5 or 24 inch scale lengths although it looks like only the original vintage had the former, the recent reissues had the latter.

One thing that gets me mildly concerned were the number of people who said nothing less than 10s for strings due to the bridge/trem. I put 9s on my Fender scales and for now, can handle it but admit that I have been thinking of going lighter. That said, Jazzmasters aren't on my radar for their legendary solo sounds but rather the jangly rhythm. Who else has a JM and what role does it fill for your playing needs?
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Re: If you were going to get one offset, which one?

A couple of years ago we shared the stage with a Doors cover band and their guitarist played a Jaguar. The tone he got was KILLER, and he was playing it through nothing really fancy, a Peavey classic 30.

Needless to say I talked to him after the gig about buying the guitar. I ended up not doing it because it had a very odd flaw, someone had managed to tighten the neck screws so hard the neckplate was crooked, one of the corners diving into the wood (!!!). I have no idea how someone could actually do that but it certainly didn’t look ok. Otherwise, it was a very desireable guitar and I would have bought it over a jazzmaster.
    Last edited by S. Cane; 06-30-2021 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Typos. I need to stop posting from my phone

I saw someone refer to a Gibson Explorer as an offset. If so, this is the one I'd choose.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I saw someone refer to a Gibson Explorer as an offset. If so, this is the one I'd choose.
    Willie, you evil genius you, of course. that's perfect. It'll replace my SG. Mwuahahahaha
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Just don't try to play it while seated.

The Explorer is even worse than a Flying V.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Just don't try to play it while seated.

The Explorer is even worse than a Flying V.
    So I’ve heard. I’ll probably never get one. Truth be told, it’s much more likely I’d buy an Explorer-type bass ŕ la Entwistle. Long live The Ox.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Fender Jazzmaster first; Fender Jaguar second.

At least, that's how I did it!
    Born in Fullerton, California in 1952

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
    Fender Jazzmaster first; Fender Jaguar second.

At least, that's how I did it!
    Like you, I favor the Jazzmaster -- both for its standard-scale fretboard and its more user-friendly controls. But what always stopped me was the fact that the offsets are heavier than the Strat and Tele, plus their shitty bridge/tailpiece combination. The Player JM corrects the latter to an extent by addlng some angle to neck/body interface but it's still saddled with that marginal-design tremolo. Curtis Novak used to wind some pretty tasty coils for the JM -- should I ever decide to push forward with a build, those would be the pickups I'd use. Wtih "Beach Boys" cosmetics (Oly White and tortoise shell).
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."