Thread: The Sunday Thread For Mid-Year 2021

The Sunday Thread For Mid-Year 2021

Can you believe it? Today is Sunday, June 13. We are now half way through the year already! As Sérgio has sadly reminded us, COVID is not gone yet, but it seems like it's on the run now. Vaccinations and past exposures have now brought us to herd immunity, according to estimates.

Not really a tie-in, but since I mentioned Sérgio, who is Brazilian, I went to see baseball game yesterday in which the only Brazilian in the majors is playing: catcher Yan Gomes, who is making a name for himself by throwing out runners who attempt to steal a base. After two days of torrential rain, the clouds flew away and we had a gorgeous day for baseball.

I'm on a Clapton kick again, and I'm working on "my" version of Before You Accuse Me. Believe it or not, even though I play a lot of blues or blues-based music, I've never focused on blues shuffle, so I'm really digging this foray into the realm.

Likely a quiet day for me today; I spent the week teaching, so now it's down time. Next week is a "tweener" so I can rest up before doing it again. Might go for a bowl of pho for lunch. The rest of the day is lazin' day.

Good and happy Sunday to all!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: The Sunday Thread For Mid-Year 2021

It's a beautiful morning, but we had a morning that could have been tragic. My little cat is a weird runt of a thing, and I love her so much. My girlfriend has two large and sweet dogs, and we've been trying to get them used to Luna. The dogs rushed when we opened the door and grabbed the cat. One picked her up and shook her, and Sherry and I got into the middle of it. It was chaos and loud, and I jumped into it and felt teeth go into my skin, but I didn't give a shit because I had to get that cat away from them.

Good news is, we finally got her away from them; bad news, our hands are scratched and bitten. My fingers got the worst part of it, my left hand absolutely shredded. I've put peroxide on them and bandaged up and will keep an eye on them. If it had gone south, my heart would have broken. Fortunately, I don't need stitches. That's something, at least.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Woah! That's a little more excitement than I'd like first thing in the morning.

Start of a beautiful day up here in the northeast. Going to be taking photos of a bunch of used gear I'm selling. Bass guitars, amps, maybe a pile of guitar necks and bodies too.
    Then off to the pistol range to shoot a few rounds. Gotta stay familiar with 9mm. Nothing worse than being in a situation where you need it, only to find yourself fumbling around with the damn thing.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

looks like a decent day on tap. some friends are gathering today down in Lowell, and of course I find out after I spent my entertainment budget already. If not for that I'd be there with bells on. Was planning on grilling and chilling.

I got the electrical testing kit and found 2 receptacles in the whole house that are properly wired, one in the living room and the other down in the basement. I plugged my amp into the good receptacle in the living room and it was vastly improved noise-wise, apart from the rusty playing.

My brother was in Florida all week and gets home 1AM Monday morning, fortunately I don't need to pick him up at the airport. He told me the other day that he was going to be home THIS morning at 1AM so I waited up for him. Finally around 3, I figured he was wrong and I went to bed. LOL.

My back is getting better, I walked some this week and must get out more. I did some laundry last night and fixed the fallen closet rod in the weird extra closet off the living room. I put about 20 pounds of clothes into trash bags. I have no idea what's the status of clothing donations is anymore, or if I should just throw them in the trash. I moved the damn things twice already, have worn none of it in years. This is just the start of the clean out. I would have been doing it all along but for healing the back.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Well it was an early wage (1st number this am was a 4). As we didn’t have rehearsal Thursday, had to do that this am. Back from playing and relaxing a bit. Then it’s to try to finish a strat rebuild. Then learn some leads for next weekend.
    Work has been busy enough that the end of weekdays, I haven’t felt like dealing with the rebuild. After that, I have a new guitar build that’s almost there. Need to wire it and set it
    up.
    Mark

I haven’t been here in a bit because of those events that happen in life with an older parent. My mother passed away last Sunday after a couple of weeks of ambulance trips and emergency room visits so today is a day of just sitting and sipping some scotch. My wife and I are also in the middle of remodeling our kitchen and a couple of bathrooms so the passing of my mother added a bit of “helter skelter to an already frantic time.

Nice to see that this forum is back in business.

Sorry to hear about your mom, Laker. My condolences.
    Striving to be ordinary

We just move our 27 year old son out yesterday! We're empty nesters! My wife is having knee replacement surgery on Friday. We're looking forward to the end result.

My condolences to you Laker!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I'm on a Clapton kick again, and I'm working on "my" version of Before You Accuse Me. Believe it or not, even though I play a lot of blues or blues-based music, I've never focused on blues shuffle, so I'm really digging this foray into the realm.
    I've played mainly blues for almost 40 years and I find that the most frustrating thing about shuffles is so many drummers say they don't like blues because it's too easy then they can't play a simple shuffle!

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I've played mainly blues for almost 40 years and I find that the most frustrating thing about shuffles is so many drummers say they don't like blues because it's too easy then they can't play a simple shuffle!
    I thought I’d toss this out there for you; how a shuffle should be played by a drummer that knows how to play it. This is a good friend who’s father was the best drummer I ever worked with.

Wow, lots of stuff happening to everyone!

@Oldstrummer: Fred, I didn't know there was a Brazilian playing in the major league. I like baseball and consider myself a Yankees fan since I first read Ernest Hemingway's 'The old man and the sea'. I'll definitely look Yan up.

@Willie: Jeez, man! That was rough! I hope those pups were vaccinated. Take care, brother! And I'm glad Luna got away with that!

@Tele-bob: Bob, good to know you're a shooter too. I just got my new membership in a shooting range. Catching up with the sport and hell, there's been so many changes. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place: either I'll grab a Taurus TS9 or a Colt 1911 if I can get my hands on one.

@danthebluesman: Dan, what gear have you been plugging in and using, lately?

@blackonblack: Man, I can't even hear someone talking about rehearsing, it gives me the itch. Can't wait to get together with the guys and just play guitar again.

@Laker: Rob, sorry to hear about your mom, my deepest condolences, my friend!

@Don: Best of luck to your wife, irmão. Hopefully everything will go fine. Prayers from Brazil.

As for me, I didn't do much today. Yesterday was Valentine's Day in Brazil and I dined with my wife at home, we made Fondue and had it with many different varieties of cheese and some nice Jamón Serrano (Spanish curated ham). It would have been very nice if we weren't so concerned about my bass player, who is still in Intensive Care. Covid is still a concrete and horrible threat here, as vaccines are slow paced. Our drummer is having a bad time with depression because of this.

Hopefully, better days are to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    I thought I’d toss this out there for you; how a shuffle should be played by a drummer that knows how to play it. This is a good friend who’s father was the best drummer I ever worked with.

These guys make blues look easy!

These guys make blues look easy!
    I think that's the greatest compliment for a blues band. If they make it look easy, then they're doing it right.

Just to let you know that Craig isn’t a “one-trick pony” here’s a little more of his abilities.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Sergio

my playing went the other way with COVID with the gigs I have mainly, church gigs.
    I think I had 6 or 7 weeks off last year, most with at least one rehearsal. Needless to say, a main portion of the time the audience was virtual. In a way that was a benefit as it provided more video tape for me to review and hone stage prescence.
    Mark

My condolences, Laker. No matter how old our parents are, it's hard to lose them. It helps me a lot to remember the good times. I hope you can find some peace in that eventually.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post

......and in spite of the guitar player's relentless tendency to push the tempo, the drummer holds down an awesome, solid groove. He really does play a great shuffle!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Sergio - I've been using the FSR Princeton Reverb (15w, 12" speaker) with my CV70 Strat. I've got to try the newer guitars now that I have an outlet that isn't hideously noisy. I've just been lazy and I have to admit, the Strat is just so darn comfy and fun to play, and it's pretty much the lightest guitar I have and I'm taking care of my back.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    @Oldstrummer: Fred, I didn't know there was a Brazilian playing in the major league. I like baseball and consider myself a Yankees fan since I first read Ernest Hemingway's 'The old man and the sea'. I'll definitely look Yan up.
    Sérgio, I'm happy to report that your countryman Yan Gomes went "yard" in the first inning, hitting a grand slam home run (his first since 2018, and his fourth ever), which gave the Nationals a comfortable lead and let the team settle in for a much-needed win.

Gomes has never been known as a slugger, but this shot was a no-doubter, going an estimated 400 feet at over 100mph.
    Striving to be ordinary

Sérgio, I'm happy to report that your countryman Yan Gomes went "yard" in the first inning, hitting a grand slam home run (his first since 2018, and his fourth ever), which gave the Nationals a comfortable lead and let the team settle in for a much-needed win.

Gomes has never been known as a slugger, but this shot was a no-doubter, going an estimated 400 feet at over 100mph.

just checked it! Wow, now I need a Nationals jersey!

https://www.mlb.com/video/yan-gomes-...ft-field-x6691

Here ya go, Sérgio. If you want me to get one and ship it to you, send me a PM.

Here's the video of the Slam. I think the one you posted was an earlier shot.

https://www.mlb.com/video/tyler-ande...=CMS_FIRST&p=0
    Striving to be ordinary

Here ya go, Sérgio. If you want me to get one and ship it to you, send me a PM.

Here's the video of the Slam. I think the one you posted was an earlier shot.

https://www.mlb.com/video/tyler-ande...=CMS_FIRST&p=0
    Thanks a lot, Fred! I appreciate it, really! But I think I can find the jersey here, so I can save you the trouble. But thanks, indeed!!!

As for the home run, yes, it's one from May. I was referring to having found him on the MLB website. Great!

Gomes did it again! Bottom of the second inning, his 399 foot shot gave the Nats a 1-0 lead they'd never surrender.

https://www.mlb.com/nationals/video/...r-field-olr0rp
    Striving to be ordinary

And again! The fourth place Nationals were playing the first place Mets and in the bottom of the ninth inning, it was a scoreless game. Juan Soto drew a walk and advanced to third on on a hit by Ryan Zimmermann. Gomes stepped up to the plate and knocked a game winning single into left field, to give the Nats their fifth straight win. Three more games this weekend, and if they continue to play well, could move up in the standings nicely.

Gomes has been the player of the week, in my opinion.
    Striving to be ordinary

Baseball, because soccer wasn't boring enough for some people.

The play in baseball is so slow these days it's hardly the same game it was when I was young. I've tried to watch a modern game, it's painful.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post

The play in baseball is so slow these days it's hardly the same game it was when I was young. I've tried to watch a modern game, it's painful.

Chuck
    You, fisherman! I bet you wait hours before getting a bite sometimes--boooooorrrrrrringgggggg. Just f'ing with you. I love baseball, but due to the length of a game, I usually only watch one or two a year--and then to play a psychological game of figuring what the pitcher's/catcher's/manager's strategy is.

Soccer I can watch all day. I enjoy it.

But I despise basketball and football. Pull out your slings and arrows now.

I'm not a big sports fan (besides F1 racing and motocross/Supercross), but I will watch and enjoy almost any sport in moderation.

I'm not a big sports fan (besides F1 racing and motocross/Supercross), but I will watch and enjoy almost any sport in moderation.
    I really get into flat track racing on the old vintage bikes or stuff like the Springfield mile. Occasionally we get out to Road America for the bike races.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post

If you think baseball is slow now, you should have seen it before they instituted a lot of the "time saving" rules: Limited mound visits, man on second to start overtime innings, time between pitches, to name a few.

On the other hand, with the money involved, there is a standard time between inning halves (two minutes), and the instant replay (which I hate) that tend to add time to a game. Still, when you figure a football game lasts three hours, with only really about 22 minutes of actual action, a three hour baseball game doesn't seem so long. As a fan of the game, I understand that strategy plays a large part, and changes with every pitch.
    Striving to be ordinary

If you think baseball is slow now, you should have seen it before they instituted a lot of the "time saving" rules: Limited mound visits, man on second to start overtime innings, time between pitches, to name a few.

On the other hand, with the money involved, there is a standard time between inning halves (two minutes), and the instant replay (which I hate) that tend to add time to a game. Still, when you figure a football game lasts three hours, with only really about 22 minutes of actual action, a three hour baseball game doesn't seem so long. As a fan of the game, I understand that strategy plays a large part, and changes with every pitch.
    Went to a game in Boston once - 98 degrees in the stands. The first inning took an hour and a half. The Marlins got something like 17 runs in the first inning. Needless to say, we left early.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    Went to a game in Boston once - 98 degrees in the stands. The first inning took an hour and a half. The Marlins got something like 17 runs in the first inning. Needless to say, we left early.
    Under those circumstances, especially if I were a Red Sox fan, I'd leave, too!
    Striving to be ordinary

Soccer is only boring in countries where they have no big rivalries. Try watching a Brazilian or English game and we’ll talk. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Soccer is only boring in countries where they have no big rivalries. Try watching a Brazilian or English game and we’ll talk. :)
    what was the fairly recent world cup were it was Germany against Spain? I watched the whole series from start to finish and became a soccer fan ... as much as an Americanized sports fan can be What a freaking great series. It took the better part of a year. Those Dutch, I was worried for a while there. Until it was finally those two. My best friend's wife is from Madrid. She for the most part can take sports and leave them, but her grandfather was basically a mascot of Real Madrid. Thankfully he lived long enough to see them win. I was so freaking happy to see that.

Because of Covid, the whole thing has been one big hot mess. Hopefully in the next series things will be back to a resemblance of normal.

Under those circumstances, especially if I were a Red Sox fan, I'd leave, too!
    actually senility is creeping in - the Red Sox scored all the runs.

How I ended up spending Father's Day...

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    what was the fairly recent world cup were it was Germany against Spain? I watched the whole series from start to finish and became a soccer fan ... as much as an Americanized sports fan can be What a freaking great series. It took the better part of a year. Those Dutch, I was worried for a while there. Until it was finally those two. My best friend's wife is from Madrid. She for the most part can take sports and leave them, but her grandfather was basically a mascot of Real Madrid. Thankfully he lived long enough to see them win. I was so freaking happy to see that.

Because of Covid, the whole thing has been one big hot mess. Hopefully in the next series things will be back to a resemblance of normal.

Oh, and let me tell you something. World Cup matches are nice, and all. But trust me, the best Country vs Country match will never beat an English, Brazilian or Argentinian high level rivalry club vs club match.

I have seen several soccer games that were just breathtaking, technically and emotionally... Believe me, it's nothing like what our daughters play at school

I remember two occasions. One, I was studying in Argentina and watched a River Plate vs Estudiantes de la Plata, I nearly went deaf with the cheering of the Argentinians. The other was when I had just watched the Brazilian national team play some other country on the TV, and right after the game the TV channel broadcast a Flamengo vs Fluminense, live from Rio de Janeiro. Man, it was like switching from a badminton game to a UFC edition