Thread: Random Thoughts II--Non Sequiturs Welcom

Random Thoughts II--Non Sequiturs Welcom

My Random Bass Life

1. I need some serious jamming time with a band to get used to playing the G&L JB-5. I play it a bit at home, but I need to jam to get a feel for the bass.

2. A year ago, I played mostly with a pick; now, my digits. It makes me feel freer to take chances not just in how I use a pick or not but in the way I hold the bass and have a vague but powerful "feeling" of having more control.

3. I had a moment's thought of trading my AmPro P Bass for Musicman Stingray. I played the pp out of my P, and I'll just shut up about it from now on. It was my number one for three years, and now, I play the AmPro parts JB I assembled more than any.

Random and Polarizing Thoughts:

Precisions, Rics, and Gibsons seem very percussive to me. Percussive and thuddy. Rics are only raspy if you use rounds and play only the bridge pup.

I love my JB but they sometimes sound like you could grate an apple on their tones.

Laklands and Alembics are great, but I've never played either.

Music Man and G&L: Couldn't outright duplicate Fender's instruments, so they started selling unique shaped and voiced guitars from the 7th dimension of the multiverse. Nah, they took what they could. Leo, after all....
    Last edited by ch willie; 06-12-2021 at 07:38 AM.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Random Thoughts II--Non Sequiturs Welcom

I keep making the mistake of looking at my right (strumming/picking) hand. I use my thumb a lot, so I notice the rest of the fingers when not in use are splayed out all across the pickguard area. I think it looks goofy.

But when I to make it "look good," I sound bad.

I have to keep reminding myself it's the music that counts, not the appearance.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!