Thread: How is a Fender 2x12 cabinet packed?

Forum Member

How is a Fender 2x12 cabinet packed?

I'm new to TFF - glad to be here!!!

I'm building a 2x12 cabinet that is a replica of the late 1960s Fender extension cab, used by Showman, Bassman, etc.
    I have built the box, and I have the speakers, and I'm getting ready for final assembly.

If you know very specifically what else goes inside, I"d love to find out! For example, 1) is there a board that gets positioned in the middle to separate the speakers?
    2) Is there any fiber fill to put in? Did Fender do that in the late 1960s?

In essence, I'd like to build it exactly how it was done back then. I don't want to use current practices to enhance the sound in any way.

Could you let me know if you know exactly how the inside of the box was prepared?

I'd be grateful - Corey

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: How is a Fender 2x12 cabinet packed?

Fender built a number of multi-speaker cabinets in various configurations during the '60s -- 2 x 10, 2 x 12, 3 x 12, and 2 x 15. I have built clones of them all "professionally" (that means I was paid, and very well, to make them). For the 2 x 12 layout, Leo used three specific designs, all of them bass-reflex type. The original 2 x 12 was what's come to be known as the "small box", an enclosure measuring 21"H x 32"W x 11˝"D. This box was common to both the Bassman and Bandmaster (also built with a single 12 for use with some early BF Showman's). The baffle board was un-ported and the interior was stuffed with sheets of fiberglass damping material. It was partitioned into two separate chambers, each with its own speaker. In mid '66 Fender developed a larger version of this design for use with the Bassman. It was oriented vertically and measured 28"W x 38"H x 11˝"D and utilized a single port in the baffle board to enhance the bass response. This model was short-lived and replaced by what's called the "big box" in early '67, with the dimensions increased to 30"W x 40"H x 11˝"D. It too was ported and stuffed with fiberglass and was common to both the Bassman and Bandmaster. Like the previous variants the interior was partitioned.

Feel free to contact me via e-mail and I'll be happy to send you construction pics.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

And this is why I love this board!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Forum Member

Awesome stuff phantom man! I will email you!