Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Compressed air vs Contact Cleaner vs WD40

  1. #1
    Forum Member Sérgio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Ever heard of José Carioca?
    Posts
    3,560

    Compressed air vs Contact Cleaner vs WD40

    I was reading about guitar maintenance and came across this article about cleaning pots and switches. It recommended compressed air.

    I always use contact cleaning spray. And Saw more than one tech use WD40 but since it leaves some grease after it does its thing, I'm not sure it's ok for pots.

    What are your thoughts?

  2. #2
    Forum Member OldStrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,618

    Re: Compressed air vs Contact Cleaner vs WD40


    I keep a can of CRC QD (for Quick-Dry) Contact Cleaner handy for just this reason.
    Striving to be ordinary

    Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

  3. #3
    Forum Member Don's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    10,866

    Re: Compressed air vs Contact Cleaner vs WD40

    I suppose you could try compressed air first, but I use DeoxIT D5. No lube. Lube or no-lube is open for debate. I haven't heard of pots being damaged when either D5 or F5 is used in small quantities, though I've never seen an original pot track with lube on it. D5 can wash out the damping grease on the shafts and make pots feel loose, though.

    I use DeoxIT F5 on sliders. They slide really poorly when dry.

  4. #4
    Forum Member Tele-Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    6,352

    Re: Compressed air vs Contact Cleaner vs WD40

    Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    I was reading about guitar maintenance and came across this article about cleaning pots and switches. It recommended compressed air.

    I always use contact cleaning spray. And Saw more than one tech use WD40 but since it leaves some grease after it does its thing, I'm not sure it's ok for pots.

    What are your thoughts?
    WD40 is NOT a lubricant. It is a solvent that also displaces water.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

  5. #5
    Forum Member OldStrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,618

    Re: Compressed air vs Contact Cleaner vs WD40

    Crucial life lesson: If it moves and it shouldn't, duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, WD-40.
    Striving to be ordinary

    Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

  6. #6
    Forum Member Offshore Angler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    New York Finger Lakes Area
    Posts
    7,634

    Re: Compressed air vs Contact Cleaner vs WD40

    Here's my tip:

    If a pot is giving you trouble - replace it. For the 10 minutes it takes to replace it why screw around? If it failed once it will fail again.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

  7. #7
    Forum Member Tele-Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    6,352

    Re: Compressed air vs Contact Cleaner vs WD40

    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Here's my tip:

    If a pot is giving you trouble - replace it. For the 10 minutes it takes to replace it why screw around? If it failed once it will fail again.
    Now try that on an ES-335 or similar guitar where you have to fish the guts out through the F hole. My Heritage has a bad volume pot and I have to try "fixing" it first! LOL!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

  8. #8
    Forum Member Offshore Angler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    New York Finger Lakes Area
    Posts
    7,634

    Re: Compressed air vs Contact Cleaner vs WD40

    Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob View Post
    Now try that on an ES-335 or similar guitar where you have to fish the guts out through the F hole. My Heritage has a bad volume pot and I have to try "fixing" it first! LOL!
    If you play a 335 your "asking for it"! You do need to be a glutton for punishment to play them. Who needs their man-boobs pinched by their guitar just so they can pretend to be Larry Carlton?

    PS, in all seriousness the old fishing line trick makes it a lot easier.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

  9. #9
    Forum Member Sérgio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Ever heard of José Carioca?
    Posts
    3,560

    Re: Compressed air vs Contact Cleaner vs WD40

    Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Crucial life lesson: If it moves and it shouldn't, duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, WD-40.

    I also heard this one: "Girl, if your boyfriend doesn't know what WD40 is for, you need a real boyfriend"

  10. #10
    Forum Member ch willie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,265

    Re: Compressed air vs Contact Cleaner vs WD40

    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    If you play a 335 your "asking for it"! You do need to be a glutton for punishment to play them. Who needs their man-boobs pinched by their guitar just so they can pretend to be Larry Carlton?

    PS, in all seriousness the old fishing line trick makes it a lot easier.

    When I'm playing my Casino sitting down, my teat squashes like it's in a mammogram clamp.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

  11. #11
    Forum Member Sérgio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Ever heard of José Carioca?
    Posts
    3,560

    Re: Compressed air vs Contact Cleaner vs WD40

    Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    When I'm playing my Casino sitting down, my teat squashes like it's in a mammogram clamp.

    I hate playing guitar sitting down exactly because of that

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •