Thread: Molded hard case catch repair

Forum Member

Molded hard case catch repair

I have a strat/tele deluxe molded hard case but two of the catches are broken - the main part is fine, but the plastic innard bits which lock the catch have gone. It looks like I could drive out the hinge pin and replace it if I could find the parts, but Google has not been my friend. Anybody know if it's possible to get these parts and from where please?

Re: Molded hard case catch repair

I received a guitar in a case by G&G that had one of its latches broken. I inquired about a repair and was sent a replacement case instead. They said repairs weren't worth the time and trouble. Probably not the answer you were hoping for...

Welcome to the forum!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Forum Member

Thanks for the welcome! You're right- I was hoping for something different. I don't imagine anyone's going to replace my case for free, sadly. Do you know who makes the molded ones? It doesn't look like G&G and maybe they'd have the parts, but it's probably a bit of a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    Thanks for the welcome! You're right- I was hoping for something different. I don't imagine anyone's going to replace my case for free, sadly. Do you know who makes the molded ones? It doesn't look like G&G and maybe they'd have the parts, but it's probably a bit of a long shot.
    Is it the original case that came with the guitar? Fender generally sources their cases, and there should be some identifying mark somewhere on it. You may have to look closely near latches, or inside near the neck pocket, but rarely is there a case without some form of manufacturing imprint. Failing that, you could reach out to Fender and ask them. Maybe not for parts, but for who the manufacturer is/was, and take it from there.
    Striving to be ordinary

Yours was probably made by SKB

Do what us working musicians have done for years: Duct tape.

Other than that, drill the rivets, use a solvent based glue to put a piece of PVC plastic where you need it, re-drill and re-rivet. When you glue in the patch you will also melt some of the Styrofoam. Put the patch in from "underneath" or the tongue and groove aluminum "seal" on the case won't line up and you'll need to bend it and it will look wierd.

In reality, if it bugs you just upgrade to a road case or a wooden Fender one. Fender molded cases are pretty much junk to begin with.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

TFF Stage Crew

It's hard to imagine exactly what you are looking for without a photo, but you might have some luck if you try some different search terms such as "instrument case hardware", or "drawbolt". Here is a link to a website where you might find something you can use:
    https://www.parts-express.com/search...relevance:desc
    Here's another:
    https://www.drawbolt-lock.com/products.html

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    In reality, if it bugs you just upgrade to a road case or a wooden Fender one. Fender molded cases are pretty much junk to begin with.
    +1

The G&G (or earlier Victoria Luggage) case is a pretty tough cookie. I personally witnessed one fall from a U-haul trailer traveling at 55 mph. It bounced too many times to count then slid on the asphalt for a hundred meters or so. The Tolex covering was toast but the structure with all the hardware remained intact. And the Stratocaster contained within was completely unmolested, not even out of tune.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Yours was probably made by SKB
    I missed this when you posted it, but it turns out you are absolutely right. Their lifetime guarantee applies to the Fender branded cases. They sent me two free replacement catches from the US to the UK and didn't even charge me postage. I am blown away by how brilliant they have been, and my case is back to full working order :)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    It's hard to imagine exactly what you are looking for without a photo, but you might have some luck if you try some different search terms such as "instrument case hardware", or "drawbolt". Here is a link to a website where you might find something you can use:
    https://www.parts-express.com/search...relevance:desc
    Here's another:
    https://www.drawbolt-lock.com/products.html
    Thank you for the links :)

I missed this when you posted it, but it turns out you are absolutely right. Their lifetime guarantee applies to the Fender branded cases. They sent me two free replacement catches from the US to the UK and didn't even charge me postage. I am blown away by how brilliant they have been, and my case is back to full working order :)
    That's an awesome success story! Congrats!
    Striving to be ordinary

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    That's an awesome success story! Congrats!
    I should have thanked you too - you're the one who told me to contact Fender, which is how I got in touch with SKB, so thank you!

I should have thanked you too - you're the one who told me to contact Fender, which is how I got in touch with SKB, so thank you!
    It's what we do here on our little community. You're welcome. Stick around and enjoy the view.
    Striving to be ordinary