Thread: New to Fender, Twin Reverb Reissue or is there a decent alternative?

Forum Member

New to Fender, Twin Reverb Reissue or is there a decent alternative?

New to the forum, currently using a Marshall Code 100, I’ve wanted a BF Twin Reverb ever since I played through a friends in ‘69. But now it is primarily just for jamming at home or small venues, and I do not want to pay that price. I’ve read tons of opinions on the original vs the reissue, but again the price is a consideration...want the tubes but not looking for THE best...

So I’m looking at used reissues, but also wondered if there is another Fender model that would give me a similar tone? Do two 12” speakers give a better sound or depth than one, or do two just give more volume?

Thanks all!

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: New to Fender, Twin Reverb Reissue or is there a decent alternative?

There's not much call for 100-watt boat anchors these days. If you want to save your back and knees, try a Deluxe Reverb. It'll break up much earlier on the volume control than a TR and keep a chiropractor unemployed.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Truth be told, if you're looking for an at-home amp, or even small venue, don't go with the Twin. Too big, too heavy too loud to get to that sound.
    |I would probably say to go with a Deluxe Reverb or something like that - similar tonality, but smaller, lighter, and quieter.
    |Another option might be the Tonemaster series - they're digital, but sound pretty good, and they do have built-in attenuator.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    There's not much call for 100-watt boat anchors these days. If you want to save your back and knees, try a Deluxe Reverb. It'll break up much earlier on the volume control than a TR and keep a chiropractor unemployed.
    Yes I remember carrying one a couple blocks 50 years ago, they are heavy! But it would be rare that I would move it out of the house so weight is not a deal breaker...

Is that the Tone Master Deluxe Reverb with the digital processor you are talking about? Or an earlier all-tube model?

[EDIT] I see jrgtr42 differentiated between the tube DR and the digital tone master. So I will look to see if there are any tube DR’s out there...
    Thanks guys!

A Tonemaster amp is like a cellphone......in two or three years it'll be obsolete and you'll be buying another.

But a vintage Deluxe Reverb is FOREVER.

Just sayin'......

If you're using the Twin at low volumes it's a really clean amp, for sure. Like others here, I'd say get a Deluxe Reverb if you are dead-set on having tubes, but in reality - most modern modeling amps do the Fender clean thing so well it's just not worth lugging a Twin or DR around if the clean vibe is what you seek. The Line 6's have the clean Twin sound nailed for a lot fewer potential hernias.

I've carries one for backup for years, sometimes using it in stereo with a DRRI, and honestly, you can't really hear the difference between the two. It's been a sturdy and reliable road warrior.

YMMV,

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

I’ve enjoyed the Marshall Code 100, decent American (Fender) and British (Marshall) tones in this modeling amp, and very versatile with so many presets and custom sounds. A great amp for the jamming I do with friends as we cover so many different sounds...Ihave not tried a Line 6...I wonder how that compares to the Code? I will check that out as well just out of curiosity...

This “tube amp urge” is probably that middle-age thing (60’s version!) and I’ll just have to decide if I need to pursue that...
    Thanks all...
    Last edited by crmoores; 05-31-2021 at 06:32 AM.

If you're merely trying to satisfy your curiosity, try a Deluxe Reverb re-issue (not the Tonemaster variant). To most, it satisfies every expectation of what a Fender tube amp is capable of. It won't break the bank and I think you'll find it to be a "keeper". The stock speaker is nothing to write home about but replacements are plentiful and reasonably priced.