Thread: Traynor Bass Amp Speaker for Strat/Tele play

Forum Member

Traynor Bass Amp Speaker for Strat/Tele play

Good day, friends! I have a mid 70s Traynor Bass Mate YBA-2B. 25W 15" combo with 2xEL84s and 2x12AX7s. It's not bad for clean tones but looking to brighten it up to get it closer to Fender amp territory - an uphill climb, for sure. The stock speaker is very dark, naturally. Hello, it's a bass amp! But wondering what my options are for a 15" speaker replacement. Obviously it's not gonna sound like a classic Fender amp but with the right combination, I think it could sparkle with a strat or tele. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Traynor Bass Amp Speaker for Strat/Tele play

There are several viable options to put some shimmer into that Traynor.

Your "modern" choices include speakers from Eminence or Weber, specifically the former's Legend and the latter's California series.

Vintage picks are just as feasible with JBL's D130F or the Jensen P15P being my top choices (I own several 15-inch Fender combos).

Bear in mind that rare-earth magnets (ie: alnico) compress and overdrive a bit more smoothly than the ceramic types but either motor will brighten up the rig significantly.

Be sure to match the impedance of any replacement speaker to your specific amp model.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Welcome to the forum! I admit, my eyes crossed when reading your introductory post. I thought I was reading a foreign language. Well, for me it actually is a foreign language, since what I know about amps is plug in, turn on, crank out.

But there are some super smart people here about stuff like that. I see @phantomman has already responded, and he has more technical knowledge than I will ever have; you're in good hands!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Welcome to the forum! I admit, my eyes crossed when reading your introductory post. I thought I was reading a foreign language. Well, for me it actually is a foreign language, since what I know about amps is plug in, turn on, crank out.

But there are some super smart people here about stuff like that. I see @phantomman has already responded, and he has more technical knowledge than I will ever have; you're in good hands!
    Thank you! I was a member years ago but couldn't find the correct email/user/password combination to get back in. So I started fresh. But much appreciated.

I've got an old Radio Shack orange frame 15" guitar speaker, I believe they were actually rebranded Utahs, which Fender had used in the past. How they are regarded, i can't say. At this point, I'm probably never going to build a 15" cab for it.

I kind of bought it in a spur of the moment nostalgia purchase. I used to hang at my little local Radio Shack constantly as a prepubescent/tweener, mooning over speakers, connectors, adaptors. I wish I had gotten into the electronic kits and learned about circuits and amplifiers, so I could be like Phantomman.

Welcome to the forum. I hope your search goes successfully and if so, you are reminded that the rules are pics or it didn't happen
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    There are several viable options to put some shimmer into that Traynor.

Your "modern" choices include speakers from Eminence or Weber, specifically the former's Legend and the latter's California series.

Vintage picks are just as feasible with JBL's D130F or the Jensen P15P being my top choices (I own several 15-inch Fender combos).

Bear in mind that rare-earth magnets (ie: alnico) compress and overdrive a bit more smoothly than the ceramic types but either motor will brighten up the rig significantly.

Be sure to match the impedance of any replacement speaker to your specific amp model.
    Thanks for the reply! Eminence Legend is on my radar and will consider the other recommendations. As far as overdrive goes, I lean on pedals and not so much the amp. My board consists of MXR Comp, Boss Blues Driver and various mod/reverb. So the clean sound is of upmost importance.