Thread: J-Station Tricks

J-Station Tricks

I've had this thing a long time, and last night I actually read the manual and found you can easily modify the compression and the noise gate from the unit.

You also switch off cabinet modeling on all presets with one setting.

Any other quick tricks you guys know of, or even tricks in general I can try?
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

fezz parka
    Since I use it for recording, I always use the J-Edit software. I don't use it to drive an amp or anything like that. I also have the the J-Edit software and my presets loaded on a laptop, along with a USB midi interface. I use this for doing sessions at other studios. It makes for a real portable setup. A double gig bag with a Tele and a Strat, a laptop, and an anvil briefcase with the J-Station inside. I love having all of those "amps" in one box.

Hum. Laptop..

Gotta figure out how to do that... What about interference. I know when I get close to my computer I get all kinds of noise. Is it less with a laptop?
    Photoweborama

fezz parka
    I can get some 60 cycle noise, but I just turn to the left or right and it goes away. Kinda like playing a LP Junior in a neon filled bar.

Originally posted by fezz parka
    Since I use it for recording, I always use the J-Edit software. I don't use it to drive an amp or anything like that. I also have the the J-Edit software and my presets loaded on a laptop, along with a USB midi interface. I use this for doing sessions at other studios. It makes for a real portable setup. A double gig bag with a Tele and a Strat, a laptop, and an anvil briefcase with the J-Station inside. I love having all of those "amps" in one box.
    Ok, let me ask you this, do you just plug into the board then and they just go for it? No complaints about needed an amp to mic? Anything like that?
    Photoweborama

OK, lets just take this one step further. I know the J-Station sounds great, but I never really had anything to compare it against except my RP100 and that's no comparison at all. I just went off everyone’s word it was so much better.

I've heard complaints about people going into studios with amp modelers and how bad the mix sounded. Are they really that much better than a POD that recording engineers would see that big of a difference?

I mean, do you go into a studio and the engineer say, "Oh great, an amp modeler" and you plug in and blow their minds? They tell clients not to use modelers, except the J-Station?

I'm hoping to pickup another one of these since they are being discontinued eventually. I don't want to be without one.
    Last edited by photoweborama; 11-12-2003 at 09:44 AM.
    Photoweborama

fezz parka
    Hey Mark,

Let me put it this way, a tweed deluxe (or any great amp), with a great mic in front of it, is going to blow away the J-Station. But the real question is, how much better is it? You've heard my stuff, if you didn't know what it was that I was using, would you say it doesn't sound like an amp? I have guys say that I've got great tone on a recording, but when they find out that I used a modeller, they say I should have used an amp, it would have been so much better. Once again, how much better?

You'd be so surprised how many cats are using modellers, whether it's a pod, or Amp Farm in Pro Tools, or a J-Station ( BTW, I've got amps. Plenty of 'em. ) I haven't had one engineer balk at me usung the J-Station. I bring in my laptop, the J-Station, and three guitars, plug into the board and let her rip! It's quick and easy.

If I had all the time in the world, and I was painting my masterpiece, I'd use my amps. They sound so good. But I'm usually on a deadline. So I use the modeller. It's just too easy.

Ok, this makes sense. So if by chance I ever do record in a real studio, I can walk in with my J-Station and hold my ground.....so to speak...
    Photoweborama

PHOTOWEBOWABE

HI YOU CAN DO GREAT RECORDINGS USING AMP MODELLERS
    I HAVE A VERY OLD SANS AMP WITH 6 DIP SWITCHES AND IT WILL MODELL LOTS OF FAMOUS AMPS DECENTLY AND I USE IT ALL THE TIME IN STUDIO WORK BECAUSE ITS FAST EASY TO USE AND IN A LITTLE TIME I AM ON TAPE RECORDED
    ITS OK
    I DO WITH WHA I GOT EQUIPMENT WISE ALSO
    I ALSO LIKE FEZZ GOT A GOOD ARSENAL OF AMPS TO USE AT MY PLEASURE
    BUT MY SETUP TIME IS QUICKER THIS ROUTE AS A SESSION GUITARIST
    NO JOKIN
    I AINT EMBARESSED BY THIS PEDAL LOOKIN TOOL I BOUGHT

IT DOES A GREAT JOB I KNO HOW TO USE IT
    YOUD BE SURPRISED AT THE THINGS I USED MY AMP MODELLER WITH AND FOR

IVE RECORDED COUNTRY MUSIC DISCO STYLE MUSIC HARD ROCK MUSIC MY SANSAMP TECH 21 IS A GREAT LITTLE PIECE OF GEAR
    I BEEN USIN MINE SINCE 93
    I LOVE IT
    I ALWAYS USE IT SOMETIMES I HIDE IT IN A AMP AND DONT TELL ANYONE ITS THIS SANSAMP GIVING MY LITTLE PEAVY BANDIT SHIT AMP THIS HUGE SOUND FROM A LITTLE 15 WATT AMP

LMAO
    USE WHA YOU GOT MINE IS A ORIGINAL TECH 21 SANSAMP VERY RUGGEDLY BUILT BUT ITS JUST ONE THING NO REVERBS OR ANYTHING BUT AMP MODELING
    IT LOOKS LIKE A DISTORTION PEDAL BUT ITS MUCH MORE

EVER HEAR NERVANA
    KURT USED ONE IN HIS RIG AS HIS SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT TONE

YUP HIS MESA BOOGIE PREAMPS WERE SET TO CRYSTAL CLEAN SETTINGS HIS SANSAMP AMP MODELLER WAS HIS TRICK OF HIS TRADE
    ITS A GREAT ITEM AMP MODELERS ARE GOOD TOOLS IF USED RIGHT
    JUST DONT TELL ANYONE YOU USED ON ON A RECORDING AND LET THEIR EARS TELL YOU THE DIFFERENCE

GOOD LUCK

BLUELOU
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS