Thread: Orange Drop in a Jazz Bass

Orange Drop in a Jazz Bass

A friend on a bass site posted that he put an orange drop .047 in his to tame the treble. He said that it "brought the bass to life." So I went on the web and found that there were pages upon pages of arguments about whether caps make any difference. Now I'm confused--my Jazz Bass is treble-y, but when I use the tone knob and turn the bridge pickup down slightly, the treble is not a problem. My question: why would I need an orange drop capacitor if I can eq the bass to get a deep and rich bass sound? Do the capacitors do more than roll off treble?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Orange Drop in a Jazz Bass

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    A friend on a bass site posted that he put an orange drop .047 in his to tame the treble. He said that it "brought the bass to life." So I went on the web and found that there were pages upon pages of arguments about whether caps make any difference. Now I'm confused--my Jazz Bass is treble-y, but when I use the tone knob and turn the bridge pickup down slightly, the treble is not a problem. My question: why would I need an orange drop capacitor if I can eq the bass to get a deep and rich bass sound? Do the capacitors do more than roll off treble?

I used to have some good info - but found this - and it is in line with my memory (hmmmmm?)
    https://www.fralinpickups.com/2017/0...pacitors-work/

This one is ok too
    https://www.guitarrepairbench.com/gu...tar-capacitor/
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Thanks, Kenny. Have you done this to any of your basses?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Thanks, Kenny. Have you done this to any of your basses?
    I used to use different values, and tried different types of caps. I honestly can't tell if one brand sounds different but can tell you that the values do affect the sound.

I used the sprague in the ones I re-wired, because they are supposed to be better. I noticed that most fenders and even my Suhr have typical caps. They all sound good.
    Keep in mind like anything - you get 10 caps marked same value - they may vary. How much can you hear? IDK
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>