Thread: Guitar and RV Traveling

Guitar and RV Traveling

With all the coronavirus lockdowns still in place, traveling has become a challenge. I have to burn some vacation time, so I'm thinking of renting an RV and driving to and through some national parks and forests. I'd probably take my KLŌS travel guitar, but I have options. Have any of you done something like this? I've not gone RV-ing before, so I have to learn about hookups, filling water, emptying refuse, etc. I also have to learn about security, which means keeping my guitar safe. Any ideas?

(And yes, I could post this on LPF, but threadjacking occurs there more than here).
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: Guitar and RV Traveling

Never did. But I think you got it figured out already: you should take a guitar that can endure the traveling and, if possible, be "expendable" (if it gets stolen you won't suffer much). I have no idea how safe are RVs but you can't be too cautious.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Never did. But I think you got it figured out already: you should take a guitar that can endure the traveling and, if possible, be "expendable" (if it gets stolen you won't suffer much). I have no idea how safe are RVs but you can't be too cautious.
    +1

If you plan for a worst-case scenario and nothing calamitous occurs, you'll never be disappointed. Leave the Rolex at home and wear a Seiko instead. Likewise, eschew the Gibson and bring an Epiphone. You should also take a firearm with you and keep it conveniently stored in the vehicle. As well, draw up your proposed itinerary with the planned route and schedule then arrange with a family member or friend to check in daily so in the event of some unfortunate event they'll be able to notify the authorities who will have a starting point to begin a search. And keep your phone fully charged. Have a pleasant and safe journey.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Very good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    If you plan for a worst-case scenario and nothing calamitous occurs, you'll never be disappointed. Leave the Rolex at home and wear a Seiko instead. Likewise, eschew the Gibson and bring an Epiphone. You should also take a firearm with you and keep it conveniently stored in the vehicle. As well, draw up your proposed itinerary with the planned route and schedule then arrange with a family member or friend to check in daily so in the event of some unfortunate event they'll be able to notify the authorities who will have a starting point to begin a search. And keep your phone fully charged. Have a pleasant and safe journey.

Great advice, @phantomman! I have found up to this point the route planning the hardest. I've penciled on my calendar the time frame, and since I've not done this before, am researching renting RVs and different types of camp grounds. As a rookie, I'm probably better off sticking to KOA (Kampgrounds of America, for our foreign friends) rather than strike out and try my hand at boondocking. Still, planning a route with drive times and stay times is a bit of a challenge...
    Striving to be ordinary

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

It might be very beneficial if you invited someone along as a "co-pilot" to share the joy of the journey and help with driving and navigating. Have you given that any thought or do you prefer a solo sojourn?
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    It might be very beneficial if you invited someone along as a "co-pilot" to share the joy of the journey and help with driving and navigating. Have you given that any thought or do you prefer a solo sojourn?
    There is no one in my life right now that I would ask along. I've become adjusted to being a solo player (both in life and on guitar).
    Striving to be ordinary

RV rentals are booked pretty solid from what I hear. I'd start planning and reserve one. A buddy of mine rents them and he is booked solid for months. The better rental places also give pretty good advice on travel tips. Likewise, I hear campsites are booked out quite a ways. Sounds like a really cool adventure. An alternative is pick one (or two) spots and do a deep-dive. We spent 11 days at the Grand Canyon and really enjoyed the experience.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

If RVs are all taken, you might consider a van and stays in motels. That's the way we traveled when we went from home in Conn up to the Acadian forests in Maine. It was one of the greatest trips.

After 10 miles, you'd throw me out of the moving vehicle, but if I lived closer, I'd hop in with you, and we'd have some adventures.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    If RVs are all taken, you might consider a van and stays in motels. That's the way we traveled when we went from home in Conn up to the Acadian forests in Maine. It was one of the greatest trips.

After 10 miles, you'd throw me out of the moving vehicle, but if I lived closer, I'd hop in with you, and we'd have some adventures.

Now, that I do (did before COVID) a lot. And I think I'd find it more pleasant and practical than RVing, considering you wouldn't need to worry about water, rejects and finding safe places to anchor a nomad RV and rest.

I love to plan a trip, drive my own car, eat at roadside restaurants and gas stations and stay at inns and hotels along the way. I don't know the costs of renting an RV but maybe it's roughly the same as doing the motel route.

You'd have to take care of sanitizing each place, though. The few times I did it after this pandemic situation started, I used Lysoform spray cans to clean all the surfaces of the room and leaving it with the door and windows open for like 15 minutes before I entered and unpacked. I also brought my own coffee machine (in case there's none in the room) and ordered my own food so I didn't have to dine or have breakfast near anybody.

I did long drives with many stops too but mostly 100 mile trips to play with the band. COVID aside, this is my favorite kind of trip.

I've decided this is not the time to experiment. I still want to explore the idea of RV camping/traveling, but right now, I don't want to book two weeks off from work and not have a plan.

So, the first thing I'm going to do is take some much needed time off from work and spend some time in a mountain cabin rental. I'll still have the benefits of the great outdoors, but because I won't be locked into setting up and staying in camp, I can drive around the area exploring, and then retreat to the cabin for meals and some down time with my guitar.

Still, I'm going to visit one of the two local RV dealers in the area to get an idea of what is needed. I have no problem driving a truck-style (Class B or Class C), but I haven't driven a bus (Class A) and may want to see about a test drive, as well as to see room, features, and the hows and whys.

I think I'm not yet ready to pull into a lot, set up camp and stay there for a while.
    Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I've decided this is not the time to experiment. I still want to explore the idea of RV camping/traveling, but right now, I don't want to book two weeks off from work and not have a plan.

So, the first thing I'm going to do is take some much needed time off from work and spend some time in a mountain cabin rental. I'll still have the benefits of the great outdoors, but because I won't be locked into setting up and staying in camp, I can drive around the area exploring, and then retreat to the cabin for meals and some down time with my guitar.

Still, I'm going to visit one of the two local RV dealers in the area to get an idea of what is needed. I have no problem driving a truck-style (Class B or Class C), but I haven't driven a bus (Class A) and may want to see about a test drive, as well as to see room, features, and the hows and whys.

I think I'm not yet ready to pull into a lot, set up camp and stay there for a while.
    Sounds like a good idea to at least look into what's needed.
    I'm no RV expert - most of my camping has been via foot in the mountains or on bicycle - but I'd think that if you are going solo, there's really no need for a bus-sized rig. A smaller van or pickup - based unit should be plenty adequate. Not to mention more affordable, easier to manoever and park.
    Depending on your itinerary, you could alternate campgrounds with full hookups with a night or two at Walmart parking lots. They aren't the most picturesque parking spots, but Walmart, for all their faults, are normally tolerant of campers parking overnight.
    B|ut also good to take time in spots to explore what;s around again by foot or whatever.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    Sounds like a good idea to at least look into what's needed.
    I'm no RV expert - most of my camping has been via foot in the mountains or on bicycle - but I'd think that if you are going solo, there's really no need for a bus-sized rig. A smaller van or pickup - based unit should be plenty adequate. Not to mention more affordable, easier to manoever and park.
    Depending on your itinerary, you could alternate campgrounds with full hookups with a night or two at Walmart parking lots. They aren't the most picturesque parking spots, but Walmart, for all their faults, are normally tolerant of campers parking overnight.
    B|ut also good to take time in spots to explore what;s around again by foot or whatever.
    I kind of like the idea of boondocking (or "dry camping"). My co-worker is retiring next year and he and his wife are buying a Class A motorhome and will spend the first year or so primarily boondocking. The feeling of freedom this provides is quite something, but as I mentioned earlier, one has to know how much you need in the way of propane, water, generator power and so on in order to not find yourself all of a sudden without heat, food or water. That's partly why I think it's best to start small and slow before jumping in.
    Striving to be ordinary