Thread: Phaser vs Univibe

Phaser vs Univibe

So, I just got a pretty good phaser. I intend to use it to do some psychedelic stuff like late Hendrix songs and even Tame Impala inspired noodling.

Now, the univibe is also a great effect. I know it's not the same thing as the phase shifting but my question here is: do you guys think I should have a univibe-like unit in my arsenal or since I got a phaser, I can fake most of the univibe situations?

Re: Phaser vs Univibe

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    So, I just got a pretty good phaser. I intend to use it to do some psychedelic stuff like late Hendrix songs and even Tame Impala inspired noodling.

Now, the univibe is also a great effect. I know it's not the same thing as the phase shifting but my question here is: do you guys think I should have a univibe-like unit in my arsenal or since I got a phaser, I can fake most of the univibe situations?
    I have a univibe - and it is a good pedal. they are different in sound though and enough to make a noticeable difference. That said, the univibe can definitely be versatile. the Phase can fatten the sound just as subtly if you like. I sometimes do sound for a couple of solo acoustic guys and can add just enough to fatten and se-sterilize the acoustic for them. I don't usually tell them I do it when I think it would make the sound better, and they wouldn't have the ability to change it or even hear it out front.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

TFF Stage Crew

Phasers are cool, but speaking only for myself I was never able to get a good Uni-Vibe approximation from one.
    At different times I've had & used Uni-Vibes & Rotovibes. Very swirly. I just didn't like having to dink around to adjust the phaser to try for the same sounds

I highly recommend that you get a Univibe of some type. There's nothing quite like it. Having said that, a lot of people won't notice a difference if you use a Phase 45. The Small Stone that you just bought is very different- it adds an awesome color to the tone.