Thread: The Sunday Thread for April 11, 2021

The Sunday Thread for April 11, 2021

In a world not upside down, U. S. taxpayers would be in the final throes of preparing their returns this week. But that, like so many other things is no longer "normal," so it seems like any other week (I've done my taxes). Also in a world not upside down, this board would be showing some activity rather than appear as a patient on life support.

So, this may be the last Sunday thread I start here. Many of the people who have been stalwarts here have packed up their gear and gone over to the sister site, where the name Fender is an afterthought or a second-class citizen. Sigh. I guess there are too many Fender-related forums for this one to survive.

Anyway, it's Sunday. April showers bring May flowers, and it's been rainy. The temperature continues to rise, so the short sleeves have come out, and now the humidifier doesn't need refilling every day. The Covid stay-at-home recommendation continues to provide opportunities to hone my increasing guitar skills. I find that just as I'm getting pleased with my abilities, I've started developing arthritis in my hands. Reminds me of the saying, "Too soon we get old, too late we get wise."

Have a good Sunday, if anyone still reads these.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: The Sunday Thread for April 11, 2021

I am going to miss our Sunday threads, but the truth we know is that TFF is a gasp away from flatlining.

I hope you’ll mosey over to the LPF. I’d miss you a lot, Fred, if I didn’t see you there.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I'll keep dropping in as long as the sunday thread exists! We had a new front porch installed on Friday. I have some trim work to do around the door and reset the columns on the porch, but it looks really good. Getting COVID #2 tomorrow. I'll be really glad to see that in my rearview mirror.
    Before

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I'm still here and will be, as long as there's something to come here for.

I got the J&J vaccine on Wednesday morning. I suppose they'll want me back in the office, at least part time, in about a week and a half.

I put the snow blower away and pulled out the patio furniture on Friday afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I am going to miss our Sunday threads, but the truth we know is that TFF is a gasp away from flatlining.

I hope you’ll mosey over to the LPF. I’d miss you a lot, Fred, if I didn’t see you there.
    I am there, Bill. Same user name, same sign-up date. My post count there is 86 as of today, I think. I post a lot more here because I like the fact that Fender is the main topic and not an afterthought, and the signal-to-noise ratio here is much better!
    Striving to be ordinary

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

It seems like this forum is now nothing more than a chat room for ten or twelve people. And even in that instance when a new member joins, they cite a technical problem then leave without so much as a follow-up question or even a thank-you when someone provides a response. Methinks it's time to put this place to bed. Sad......
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    It seems like this forum is now nothing more than a chat room for ten or twelve people. And even in that instance when a new member joins, they cite a technical problem then leave without so much as a follow-up question or even a thank-you when someone provides a response. Methinks it's time to put this place to bed. Sad......
    Well, I agree with your assessment overall. What's sad is that the owners of this site haven't made their wishes and plans known. I know this is a privately-owned and funded site; I get it, I have one, too. They are under no obligation to make announcements, or even keep the lights on. I'm not sure what's causing the foot-dragging, but it does seem that the focus is now on LPF.

There's no shortage of forums dedicated to guitars. Even Fender guitars. I've grown to like this place a lot during the COVID plandemic primarily because it has a smaller user base. There's a lot of knowledge and wisdom here, and I read every post -- whether or not it applies to my interests or not -- and I've come to respect and admire the people here that walk the walk. Having lost a lot of the social interaction capabilities means spending more time online, and if there's a community, even better!

On some of the other sites there are what I would refer to as the "super posters" -- those who have "badges," thousands of posts to their credit, and act as if their poo doesn't emit any aroma. THEY seem to think the community is theirs, and how dare you have an opinion or contrary view.

I belong to other forums, not guitar related. On some of them, I find a sense of community, on others, not. I spend more time where I feel like I'm a welcome part of that community. Maybe LPF will grow that way on me; it's not there, yet.

But yes, it's always easier to go with the flow than to try to swim against it.

(The side benefit for me is that I've learned an awful lot about building and publishing a forum. I actually have one now live on the 'Net as an unofficial forum for users of the software my employer creates.).
    Striving to be ordinary

I never really did much in the Sunday threads, but probable should have. Early on, I tried to learn more about what made certain amps/pups/guitars and basses special, how to set up, what worked in mods and what didn't, etc. I wanted to learn this so I could use that with learning to play, so that I could get out and play.

Each journey designs its own agenda. I accidentally made some great friends and contacts here. I even got to meet some - and BTW, Nick cooks a downright awesome, chef level steak and is among the top notch people I have ever gotten to meet!

If this site could be salvaged, I would be all for it. I would kick in etc. If not, I agree with roger a whole lot.
    I hate to see all the good stuff go away. but also hate to see it limp along with no real meat on the bones either. I debated posting this, but am hitting submit anyway. Its jsut where my head is right now.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

I continue to prototype a "modernized" version of TMFF (The Modern Fender Forum). Here's my latest stab at it (in my current release, "The Whammy Bar" requires one to have made three valid posts before being granted access). I liked the color scheme at first, but now I'm thinking of changing it.

While I'm on the topic, it seems Sérgio has a way to communicate with the owners. I've not found a way, so if you'd care to share?

Striving to be ordinary

Fred, I used the "contact us" form at the Les Paul Forum. It's at the bottom of the front page. Mike replies.

That makes me very sad, indeed.

Most of us are hanging around at the LPF by now and I think it'll be the inevitable future of this bunch of friends, but I can't say I'm happy with how things are going.

I am a people person and like you guys more than I am attached to this place but hell, I look at it and remember how happy I was when Mike emailed me the "you are now registered at the Fender Forum", around Christmas time in 2014. I look at my 3450 posts and remember how each one was important to me because I was becoming part of what this forum means.

I am even shedding a tear or two while writing this post. I wish this forum could go on, I wish you all posted more often, even about the damned weather. I mean, more posts per day would probably attract more users who'd stick around. Yeah, I wish we all got together and made a formal request to the owners to at least let us keep our hands upon the wheel here and run it. Donate and fund it if we have to. I wish we could unite and do something to keep TFF.

I only advocate the migration to the LPF because none of that seems to happen, no matter how much we complain here and I want to keep in touch with my friends. If Fred gets to make another forum, well, it'll be ok too but I think no other place will be TFF.

I am registered in two or three other forums, but this one has become my online home. Fuck, I love this place.