Thread: GAS. Oh, Why Do I Do This To Myself?

GAS. Oh, Why Do I Do This To Myself?

Sherwood Green. It's been like a unicorn for me for ages. Now, all of a sudden, up pops a MIJ Hybrid 68 Stratocaster in Sherwood Green Metallic. And this one even has a maple neck (I favor maple over rosewood)! Free shipping from Japan, but there's likely a tariff to pay. So, I'm dragging my feet.

I told myself I wasn't going to splurge on another guitar until after the one I'm having custom made is delivered. But doggone it, this one's got me drooling...

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: GAS. Oh, Why Do I Do This To Myself?

Sure looks purty!!!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

How could you NOT buy that? Oh yesssssss.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Sherwood Green Metallic is a very handsome color but that black pickguard does nothing for me. A white (not mint green) replacement would set that finish off oh so beautifully. JMO.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    How could you NOT buy that? Oh yesssssss.

Sigh. I researched it a bit and found out the neck had a "U" shape. It takes a larger hand to wrap around a neck like that, and I have some of the smallest hands known to man. I'm afraid I would very quickly find itself shunted away into a pile (with the rest of my guitars).

Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Sherwood Green Metallic is a very handsome color but that black pickguard does nothing for me. A white (not mint green) replacement would set that finish off oh so beautifully. JMO.

+1

or maybe tortoise.

I like the black pickguard--makes it look a bit classy with the body color. But i "ain't agin'" a good white pickguard.
    "
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post

Sigh. I researched it a bit and found out the neck had a "U" shape. It takes a larger hand to wrap around a neck like that, and I have some of the smallest hands known to man. I'm afraid I would very quickly find itself shunted away into a pile (with the rest of my guitars).

I think my MIM Classic '70s Strat has a U shaped neck. It feels much larger than the thickness from front to rear would make you think. The diagonal dimension of the neck section is large for its thickness.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post

I have pretty small hands too. The C and modern C shapes on American Standards are the most comfortable to me.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

I have CIJ shallow "D" necks on two of my Strats -- both have vanilla ivoroid binding on the fretboards with vintage fret wire and 7.5" radius. They're the most comfortable-playing guitars I've ever owned by any company.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

The guitar I'm having made will be a shallow D neck with a 12" radius. Very similar to my Ibanez AG95QA.
    Striving to be ordinary

I thought I had small hands until I stuck my paws into the handprints of Clapton at the Guitar Center in Hollywood. I'd always marveled at how big his mitts were, but my hands fit his EXACTLY. He likes the hard V on his Strats and Martins. My HD28-VL has a hard V, and I wish I could shave it down a bit.

OS - I think Ocean Turquoise Metallic is my Sherwood Green fascination. But it comes in so many different hues and it is the deuce to try to photograph realistically. All I know is this girl I'm familiar with has a P bass in OTM that I'd die for. I doubt I could ever buy one online, I'd need to see it in person first.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

TFF Stage Crew

Nice color!

TFF Stage Crew

Oldstrummer, is this from Ishibashi? I have purchased from them before, always a good experience

Give me a chunky neck. Lots easier on the hands since you don't need to move your fingers as far and less fatigue in the thumb gap.

If you have trouble with the U neck you may have a technique issue like a lazy wrist or something. Hand size should play little to no part in shape neck selection for an adult. It's purely comfort thing. Unless you want to shred the Hungarian Minor a thinner neck is usually not the one you want to pick up for the third set. Seriously, unless you have the hands of a 12 year old it shouldn't matter. Don't overthink it. Remember, 99% of the people giving advice on the internet have never played a paying gig as lead guitarist, lol. Play the guitar YOU like, not them one the "experts" tell you won't work. If the guitar turns you on, chances are you can turn IT on. I have axes with skinny necks, thick necks, V necks, etc. and they're all interchangeable.

Heck a Les Paul and a Strat have different scale lengths, and that will have a bigger effect due to hand size than neck radius. Reaching for inversions and stacking fifths on a Strat can be pretty challenging for the best of us. That's why you see the Gibsons more prevalent in jazz. You can reach more. That said, even when switching from a Strat or Tele to the Lester it's not something you think about.

If small hands is your thing, maybe a Stratocaster isn't what you need.

Chuck
    Last edited by Offshore Angler; 06-28-2021 at 10:13 AM.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    Oldstrummer, is this from Ishibashi? I have purchased from them before, always a good experience

I can't say. The guitar is no longer available, so it must have been sold. There is a very similar one on eBay except the pickguard is black, not white. The seller is Kai_Japan, though. I don't care for the black PG.

Striving to be ordinary