Thread: Jumbo frets to medium jumbo on a hot rod Strat

Forum Member

Jumbo frets to medium jumbo on a hot rod Strat

I have a new (custom shop hot rod) Strat that is perfect in every way except the frets.
    They are jumbos and although I can play it - they seem too tall and playing for a long time makes me fingers hurt. Might be hard to gig it. Can a luthier reduce them to medium/jumbo or at least reduce the height to make jet more playable? Or is the organic approach not accurate?
    Maybe a Plek machine? What’s the best approach?
    thank you
    Mark

Re: Jumbo frets to medium jumbo on a hot rod Strat

Quote Originally Posted by Cobraman View Post
    I have a new (custom shop hot rod) Strat that is perfect in every way except the frets.
    They are jumbos and although I can play it - they seem too tall and playing for a long time makes me fingers hurt. Might be hard to gig it. Can a luthier reduce them to medium/jumbo or at least reduce the height to make jet more playable? Or is the organic approach not accurate?
    thank you
    Mark

Mark, that's a simple task for trained tech with the tools. Should take about two hours.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Mark, that's a simple task for trained tech with the tools. Should take about two hours.

Chuck
    Thanks Chuck!!

Forum Member

thank you
    Mark
    Good Evening,
    I am trying to understand something, doesn't the sound of the note occur when the string is in contact with the top of the fret and any additional finger pressure is not necessary?
    I am thinking also in terms of a scalloped fingerboard the sound of the note is made when the string comes in contact with the top of the fret... any additional pressure would raise the pitch of the note.
    In my long winded way of writing I was wondering why are your fingers hurting?
    Thank you.

Forum Member

I wouldn't say hurting but it feels as if I'm playing "on top" of the frets vs touchong the frets and neck at the same time.
    It's not a soft slinky feel as I run the board but a all metallic feel as I hop from "rooftop" to "rooftop"
    That said - I'm getting used to it
    Mark

That said - I'm getting used to it
    Mark
    I'm probably the outlier here, but "getting used to it" is standard practice for me. I have a number of guitars, and I have to get used to each one again after I haven't played it in while.

That said, I have some guitars I favor over others. But I really couldn't tell you why. I'm the kind of guy who buys a guitar that feels good, sounds good and looks good, and then I let it be. I know there are some people who say, "
    Well, the body is nice, but if I replace the neck, the tuners, the pickups, the controls, the wiring, etc., it will be perfect." That's not me.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

I like tall, wide frets. Tall narrow frets get me hung up all over the place.

If frets are too tall, it starts to hurt my finger tips, and it roughs up my callouses when doing pull-offs. By the same token, it has to be tall enough! I detest vintage frets!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I'm probably the outlier here, but "getting used to it" is standard practice for me. I have a number of guitars, and I have to get used to each one again after I haven't played it in while.
    I'm like that, too. I used to be very fussy- large neck with 6105 size frets, 9.5"-12" radius fretboard, roughly 1-11/16" nut width. I despised smaller, narrower necks with small frets and a smaller radius fretboard. I realized that I was missing out on some great guitars, so I learned to adapt. I've been playing my Bonnevile Strat style guitar which has a 7-1/4" radius fretboard and vintage style frets. I learned that if the frets are dressed well, the guitar is set up well, and I work on my technique, it's easy to play and I'm a better played because of it.

Though I still love my Guild Blues 90 with it's wide fat neck and jumbo frets!

I only buy guitars I like, solves a lot of issues.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim