Thread: Enlarging Strap Holes?

Enlarging Strap Holes?

A silly question, and hardly "technical," but I've just had a thought I might be looking at this the wrong way.I have a number of lovely leather guitar straps that rarely see any use because they are so *^!@$# hard to attach to guitar pins that when I finally get one on a guitar, I leave it there. Trouble is, I switch out the guitars I play and the prospect of switching straps fills me with dread. So, I thought maybe of searching for guitar straps that attach and detach without the bent fingers and four-letter words. No strap locks, please.But maybe the solution is to make the strap holes larger. The few times I tried doing this were less than successful, so I haven't tried in a while. But maybe I just tried the wrong way? Have any of you enlarged your strap holes so you can be a "quick change" player? If you did, what was your secret? Special tools? A bottle of bourbon and a lot of patience? Do tell.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: Enlarging Strap Holes?

Honestly, I just have a strap for every guitar. |Besides not having to swap out every time I change guitars, I can adjust each one to where it's comfortable, and not worry about having to adjust that.
    But I have seen players using step drill bits to enlarge the holes, or just work it back and forth a lot, will eventually break in the leather to where it will slip on and off.
    Keep in mind, though, that makes it easier for the strap to slip on and off when you don't want it to, as well as when you do. I've had enough dropping incidents that I use straplocks on most of my gutiars, and the others have |Grolsch bottle washers on them.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

For leather straps (or straps with leather ends), moisten the ends with warm water (you may have to soak it awhile) then sprinkle the area around the hole with some non-flavored powdered meat tenderizer and let it set overnight. Flex the leather periodically as it dries out and when it does, the ends should be pliable enough to accommodate any strap button.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    For leather straps (or straps with leather ends), moisten the ends with warm water (you may have to soak it awhile) then sprinkle the area around the hole with some non-flavored powdered meat tenderizer and let it set overnight. Flex the leather periodically as it dries out and when it does, the ends should be pliable enough to accommodate any strap button.
    Thanks! That's the kind of tip I was looking for! My leather straps are gorgeous, but stiff. I figured they would break in, but this sounds like it speeds up the process. I'll give it a try!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!