Thread: HOW TO KNOW IF THIS GUITAR IS LEGIT?

Forum Member

HOW TO KNOW IF THIS GUITAR IS LEGIT?

Hello everybody, this is my first post on this forum and I'm a rookie at playing guitar, so I'm sorry if I sound a bit stupid. I just saw this guitar and it has Custom Shop logos on it's headstock etc. It looks pretty cool but it's price is the same with the used Mexican Strat's in my country so I'm worried that it is fake (somehow). How can I know if this is a legit good guitar or not, what are the things I should consider while buying this? (The seller says that it was made by an important luthier.) Pics are from my country's eBay-like site. Thanks in advance everybody!

Re: HOW TO KNOW IF THIS GUITAR IS LEGIT?

Welcome to the forum! More experienced hands will have their input, sites and recommendations, but one thing you said stood out. That the guitar was made by an "important luthier" suggests that it's a Partscaster. The general advice I hear is that you can get a better idea by taking the neck off and looking at the serial number in the neck pocket. It should match the serial number on the headstock (which you didn't show). There are several serial number lookup sites where you can then check.

So here's my take: If the guitar plays as well as you like, and you like the look and feel, and the cost is within reason, I see no reason to NOT purchase it. Spoken as one who owns quite a few guitars, it's rare that guitars are "collector's items," so you might just get a guitar that plays the way you want it.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

I’m sorry, my friend, but it doesn’t look ok to me. Black (probably plastic) truss rod plug, wrong logo, wrong contours, wrong 11 screw pick guard, parallel middle screws in the spring cavity plate... even the switch tip looks fishy, and that’s what I can spot just by looking at this pic.

Rule of thumb is: if a deal seems to be too good to be true, it usually is. My guess is that it’s a knockoff and not even a Mexican partscaster.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    I’m sorry, my friend, but it doesn’t look ok to me. Black (probably plastic) truss rod plug, wrong logo, wrong contours, wrong 11 screw pick guard, parallel middle screws in the spring cavity plate... even the switch tip looks fishy, and that’s what I can spot just by looking at this pic.

Rule of thumb is: if a deal seems to be too good to be true, it usually is. My guess is that it’s a knockoff and not even a Mexican partscaster.
    +1

I smell tuna!
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

I thank all of you kindly for your help I decided not to buy it.

Probably a good move.

It wasn't until later that I spotted the toggle switch above the selector switch. I am not aware of any stock Stratocaster so equipped.

You mentioned it being in the price range of a MIM Strat. You could do a lot worse than buying one of those!
    Striving to be ordinary

Serge had a good eye. Run away fast and get a Made in Mexico from a reputable seller. Good luck!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Agreed to all. I don't know exactly what it is, but there's too many red flag on that to make me think it's a legit fender.
    That said, if it's a good playing and sounding guitar, it may be worth what they're asking, or haggle down more.
    But it would take some serious detective work and pulling it apart to figure out exactly what you do have.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Given that this thread is still "alive," I'd agree with jrgtr42. In fact, the question as originally asked was if the guitar was "legit?" My one line response might be to the effect, "If it plays like a guitar, it's legit!"
    Striving to be ordinary