Thread: American Standard Strats going up in price

American Standard Strats going up in price

I have been reading about this lately.

Am Std seems to be a series that never really got overpriced year after year, but these last few months there's been a raise in the average price.

Btw I have always wondered why this particular series didn't follow the trend of used guitars getting more and more expensive, since they're excellent guitars, probably the best bang for the buck regarding US made strats.

Re: American Standard Strats going up in price

I think you're right Sergio. If memory serves, when I bought my first American (Std) in 96, it cost $699. The AmStd I bought in 08 cost me $1000. The AmPro lefties were going for $1399, and the IIs are going for $1499. ("Correct me if I'm wrong, and I might just be"--John Candy on SCTV)

Are these normal price increases according to national inflation rates? A doubling+ from 1996-present?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I think you're right Sergio. If memory serves, when I bought my first American (Std) in 96, it cost $699. The AmStd I bought in 08 cost me $1000. The AmPro lefties were going for $1399, and the IIs are going for $1499. ("Correct me if I'm wrong, and I might just be"--John Candy on SCTV)

Are these normal price increases according to national inflation rates? A doubling+ from 1996-present?
    I think you mentioned new guitar prices, so AFAIK yes. I bought mine new for about $1200 (expressing the value in US$. In Brazilian Real it cost a lot more) at the time.

However, I was specifically talking about used Am Stds.

I've noticed this trend. You used to be able to pick up used Am Stds cheap. Now some are calling the ones built in the '80s/90s classics and are asking higher prices, and the newer ones are higher because they're more recent guitars. I don't know if they're actually selling at these prices.

I've noticed the prices of a lot of used guitars going up in the past year. I sold my '80 Hamer Sunburst, Les Paul and ES-335 at a decent profit last summer.

Some of this may also be due to a new Am Pro Strat being so expensive. I bought my 1995 Am Std Telecaster new on sale for $450! I sold it 10 years later for more than that because new ones were so much more expensive.
    Last edited by Don; 03-18-2021 at 09:47 AM.

when I was selling them, from '98 - '02, the American Std was going for $699 - then when they were blowing them out to make room for the |American Series in '00 - 01, they dropped to $599 - a steal even at the time - the Epiphone LP Std was that same price. (a MIM Std at the time was $299, $329 for sunburst...)
    IIRC, the American Series was $799 at the time. Now, honestly, I've lost track of the various Fender models and lines, so I'm not even sure what the equivalent is now.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    when I was selling them, from '98 - '02, the American Std was going for $699 - then when they were blowing them out to make room for the |American Series in '00 - 01, they dropped to $599 - a steal even at the time - the Epiphone LP Std was that same price. (a MIM Std at the time was $299, $329 for sunburst...)
    IIRC, the American Series was $799 at the time. Now, honestly, I've lost track of the various Fender models and lines, so I'm not even sure what the equivalent is now.

definitely a steal considering that even a MIM strat is often a much better instrument than the Epi Les Pauls.

"American Series" was just the AmStd with a few changes. The Series didn't last many years, and they went back to calling the line the American Standard again. A marketing ploy that gained no traction.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    "American Series" was just the AmStd with a few changes. The Series didn't last many years, and they went back to calling the line the American Standard again. A marketing ploy that gained no traction.
    The same applies to Am Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    The same applies to Am Pro.
    Yes, and you know what? Each era of the MIA standard guitar has its brilliance, at least post-CBS, and I wouldn't turn down a 70s 3 bolter
    . Some versions the MIAs might have needed better hardware or whatever, but basically, they're all great. I love my 2008 AmStd. I have a second Strat because it does something different, but I wouldn't let go of the 2008. Best playing Strat I ever had.

Forum Member

A man, like a watch, is to be valued by this manner of going.
    thanks

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by fallbaby View Post
    A man, like a watch, is to be valued by this manner of going.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post

We gotta admit, they are getting poetic...

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    We gotta admit, they are getting poetic...
    Experimentation in AI.

Of course, I've long said, "Wherever you find artificial intelligence, you're bound to find artificial stupidity."
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Experimentation in AI.

Of course, I've long said, "Wherever you find artificial intelligence, you're bound to find artificial stupidity."