Thread: Hot Dog poll

Hot Dog poll

Just a sausage and mustard or plenty of toppings (please detail)?

Me, just bread, sausage, mustard and Tabasco.

Re: Hot Dog poll

First of all, it has to be a real hot dog with natural casing. I hate skinless!

Sometimes I like it on a bun with just mustard.

I LOVE New York System Wieners "all the way" (bun, wiener, meat sauce, onions, celery salt and mustard).

Chili dogs are awesome, too!

I also like them cut up into baked beans- franks and beans- like my grampa used to make me.

Me, I've always been a burger guy when it comes to going out of the house.

But I do love a homemade hot dog, as simple as it gets. A nice wiener, cooked or baked, fresh bun and Heinz yellow mustard seasoned with Tabasco.

Brazilians eat tons of hot dogs and the toppings vary highly but me, I prefer the plain old sausage and bun.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post

Brazilians eat tons of hot dogs and the toppings vary highly but me, I prefer the plain old sausage and bun.
    There's a Brazilian hotdog place opening up near me in a couple weeks. Looking at the menu, I'm super excited to try them.

Personally, I prefer an all-beef dog, toppings depend on my mood. Sometimes just mustard, sometimes dragged through the garden / pantry / fridge.
    One of the best |I had was wrapped in cheese and bacon, deep fried and topped with habanero relish.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Every time I pass through Chicago via O'Hare Airport, I try to make sure I get a couple of "Chicago Red Hots." Mmmm!

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

I actually spent three of my college summers working in a hot dog factory. We made a premium brand dog that are still around today (although under a different owner - but they maintain the high quality. I eat way too many hot dogs. I check ingredients pretty closely and am fussy about brands, but there is nothing like a good grilled hot dog. Also, they have to be on New England hot dog rolls - not that other side-opening cr@p!I do like Nathan's hot dogs - but only when they are cooked at Nathan's.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Me, I've always been a burger guy when it comes to going out of the house.
    I'd prefer a good burger over a hot dog, but sometimes want something different.

Chopped onions, mustard on a beef hot dog on a wheat bun, from which I pinch away half the bread. I hate a big bread bun.

homemade chili too sometimes.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Usually once a week I cook hot dogs for my bride and I. I use kosher beef dogs, and then wrap them in bacon, cooked on the grill when the weather allows, otherwise in a skillet. I like mine plain, (with cheese), my bride adds ketchup!

TFF Stage Crew

All beef in a bun, w/ketchup, mustard (spicy brown, if available), relish, & onions. Please no kraut, slaw, or chili
    Costco style, yeah buddy

Yummm!!!!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Vienna Beef Hot Dogs. The official hot dog of Chicago!

Striving to be ordinary

Those of us who have spent time in Germany know that the Germans are the kings of sausage. I'm fortunate to have a World Market nearby where I can purchase a limited number of selections from Meica, one of the top sausage producers in the country, having made sausages since 1911. With names only a German can enjoy (but the sausages anyone can!): Bratmaxe, Snibbels, and yes, Wieners!

Striving to be ordinary

[QUOTE=OldStrummer;649326]Those of us who have spent time in Germany know that the Germans are the kings of sausage. I'm fortunate to have a World Market nearby where I can purchase a limited number of selections from Meica, one of the top sausage producers in the country, having made sausages since 1911. With names only a German can enjoy (but the sausages anyone can!): Bratmaxe, Snibbels, and yes, Wieners!

OTE]

Lord, don't you know it. Currywurst from Berlin is my favorite of all time. But for everyday wieners, I loved best those you'd get on the street. I'd be cold cold outside, and they'd serve them hot on a crusty roll, with a patina of butter. There was nothing like that I ever had. Of course, I like everything but blood sausage.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

This thread is killing me. I used to love hot dogs, but a combination of My Dread Disease and plain old aging has rendered my GI system incapable of dealing with them.

The best hot dog I ever had was a quarter pound affair sold by the caterers at the Nashville Convention Center. I was there covering Summer NAMM for EQ magazine, and ate one for lunch every day I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Jim View Post
    This thread is killing me. I used to love hot dogs, but a combination of My Dread Disease and plain old aging has rendered my GI system incapable of dealing with them.

The best hot dog I ever had was a quarter pound affair sold by the caterers at the Nashville Convention Center. I was there covering Summer NAMM for EQ magazine, and ate one for lunch every day I was there.

Oh man... GI affliction is a pain... I love beans but can’t even stare at them without having a severe indigestion. Fortunately, sandwiches are ok as long as they don’t have Chili in them.

I eat chili, I ate beans knowing full well I'm going to suffer tremendously. Worth it!

[QUOTE=ch willie;649327]
    Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Those of us who have spent time in Germany know that the Germans are the kings of sausage. I'm fortunate to have a World Market nearby where I can purchase a limited number of selections from Meica, one of the top sausage producers in the country, having made sausages since 1911. With names only a German can enjoy (but the sausages anyone can!): Bratmaxe, Snibbels, and yes, Wieners!

OTE]

Lord, don't you know it. Currywurst from Berlin is my favorite of all time. But for everyday wieners, I loved best those you'd get on the street. I'd be cold cold outside, and they'd serve them hot on a crusty roll, with a patina of butter. There was nothing like that I ever had. Of course, I like everything but blood sausage.
    The worst (wurst) smelling stuff was liverwurst before it got smoked.

TFF Stage Crew

It was while my dad was stationed in Wiesbaden, Germany, that we visited Berlin & I got my first taste of knackwurst (or knockwurst) & hot mustard. This was lost to me for many years until I discovered them for sale at a local Russian market in my town. They call them garlic sausage, or sardely

Germans are pretty good at mustard preparations. I think I'd take a German mustard over French, but that's just personal taste and bias. The store where I buy my frankfurters also carries a terrific hot mustard. I've taken to keeping a loaf of German sourdough bread on hand, and I can make a snack of just a slab of bread and a slather of mustard!

Striving to be ordinary

I liked it as a change of rockabilly pace on In Through the Out Door. I can't believe they played it at Knebworth, though!

(Glad to see the forum back, btw.)

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    One of the best |I had was wrapped in cheese and bacon, deep fried and topped with habanero relish.
    My heart probably stalled a couple times reading that, but I preferred to think of it as fluttering in anticipation and desire
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Driscoll View Post
    I liked it as a change of rockabilly pace on In Through the Out Door. I can't believe they played it at Knebworth, though!

(Glad to see the forum back, btw.)

good to see you here, Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Germans are pretty good at mustard preparations. I think I'd take a German mustard over French, but that's just personal taste and bias. The store where I buy my frankfurters also carries a terrific hot mustard. I've taken to keeping a loaf of German sourdough bread on hand, and I can make a snack of just a slab of bread and a slather of mustard!

ooo, is that a hot mustard? I am intrigued. I love Gulden's Spicy Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    That is definitely hot mustard!
    Striving to be ordinary

yes, ‘extra scharf’

good to see you here, Ed.
    Great to be here -- I'm really happy the security signature issues have finally been sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Driscoll View Post
    Great to be here -- I'm really happy the security signature issues have finally been sorted out.
    Yes, and it seems that the guys are dropping by more often too. If everyone starts posting a little bit more, the forum will be more attractive to new members who actually want to see new contents.

Nice avatar btw!

Zweigles pop-open or stay home. White or red, don't matter.

Additionally, anyone who puts ketchup on a hot dog is a commie rat.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Zweigles pop-open or stay home. White or red, don't matter.

Additionally, anyone who puts ketchup on a hot dog is a commie rat.
    I've been called that before... The only thing I put on hot dogs (on the rare times when I do) is either ketchup or some pork and beans.

i'm craving a sausage with onions and peppers and spicy mustard. We used to have a guy outside of our Home Depot, the Sausage King. He did so well that he opened a brick and mortar store on Main Street.

He got scammed by a city worker who claimed that City Hall would pay their tab, as the renovation of the sidewalks downtown was a multi-year project. They ran up a tab of over 80k and when the owner went to ask for remittance, he got stiffed, being told it was never authorized. The restaurant closed shortly afterwards and has been sitting idle for quite a few years now.

"We used to have a guy outside of our Home Depot, the Sausage King"
    Hey, that's what they used to call Gibsonjunkie!
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim