Thread: Maple or Rosewood against humidity?

Maple or Rosewood against humidity?

Hallo buddies,
    I want to buy a second guitar, cheaper so I can leave it in the car for example or travel with it (without heartbeating ) and especially to have it with me on the small plesure craft I work on for at least 3 months a year.. As you can imagine the guitar will be exposed in temprature changes (day/night) and humidity of course!
    Which fretboard will stand better in these conditions? Maple or rosewood? The neck will be maple for sure as Im looking for a mim strat or a squier.
    Thanks a lot and crears from Athens
    Last edited by Socrates_dtc; 03-06-2021 at 03:47 PM.

Re: Maple or Rosewood against humidity?

sounds like a more untraditional material like carbon fiber might be more suitable for those kinds of conditions. I know you want wood but it's something to consider. One of our members has a Klos carbon fiber guitar and the company is coming out with electrics some time in the future.

you didn't specify acoustic or electric but you desire for a mini squier strat makes me think the latter.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Thanks for the respond. Yes electric guitar. I ment a made in mexico strat or a deluxe Squier.

Forum Member

Maple fret boards are clear coated so they might resist humidity better. And a tighter grain will also resist humidity more then a wide spaced grain.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

While your concern for the health of the lumber is justified, another consideration of equal import is the effect that high humidity and salt air have on the guitar's electronic components and the metal hardware. You may find that storing your instrument in a hermetically-sealed case is the most practical method of protecting it from the elements during prolonged sea-going sojourns.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    While your concern for the health of the lumber is justified, another consideration of equal import is the effect that high humidity and salt air have on the guitar's electronic components and the metal hardware. You may find that storing your instrument in a hermetically-sealed case is the most practical method of protecting it from the elements during prolonged sea-going sojourns.
    I would also suggest that you invest in some Humidipaks or some case "candy" that will regulate the rH (relative humidity) of your guitar. D'Addario makes a kit that will maintain a constant rH, whether you're too damp or too dry. While acoustic guitars are more prone to suffer from improper humidity, solid body guitars (especially necks) can be affected, too.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I would also suggest that you invest in some Humidipaks or some case "candy" that will regulate the rH (relative humidity) of your guitar. D'Addario makes a kit that will maintain a constant rH, whether you're too damp or too dry. While acoustic guitars are more prone to suffer from improper humidity, solid body guitars (especially necks) can be affected, too.
    +1
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

I'm a dock rat too. Humidity and heat won't hurt the wooden bits of most electrics -although some high end acoustics that shall remain nameless have had glue failures from too much though. Lack of humidity will cause more problems than excess. As phantomman points out, if they get salt spray they can get pretty crusty in a hurry for the tuners and electronics, but if you keep it in the cabin it should be fine. There's usually a few guitars in marinas, and they live happy lives. If your boat has air conditioning even better. I have an Ovation for onboard since they're basically indestructable
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Thanks mate, glad to hear thar!

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    +1

Totally correct.

Does anybody know the reaction of "Indian Laurel" wood as a fretboard? Some companies started using them instead of rosewood

Indian Laurel is similar in appearance to rosewood, but is not on the CITES list. This isn't a "ban" in the strictest terms, but it does signify an endangered species. There's a good article on neck woods here at Stringjoy.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!