Thread: Converting Analog Vinyl to Digital Format?

Converting Analog Vinyl to Digital Format?

I'm posting this in the Whammy Bar because it isn't directly guitar related, yet I'm sure people on TFF has knowledge, experience and opinions on the subject, so here goes:

I have a relatively extensive collection of vinyl LPs from (mostly) the 60s and 70s. Ten years ago or so, I picked up a turntable (my audiophile system long bereft of a one) some standard audio cables, a pre-amp, some cable-to-3.5mm adapters, and some software so I could record to my computer and save output as mp3.

Mind you, I'm talking about technology that wasn't mature yet, and since then, I have misplaced most of these items. I just discovered the turntable has stopped working, so I'm eyeing the idea of starting with a blank slate. I'm looking into turntable systems that have the ability to either convert directly to MP3, or that can be hooked up to a computer without the pre-amp and all the cables and such.

The genesis for this idea came from Musician's Friend's Stupid Deal of the Day, which is a Gemini TT-900WW turntable and speaker system which, for $99 seems to be a nice little bookshelf record playing system, but it doesn't have any output other than its speakers, that I can tell.

So, now I'm looking specifically online at turntables. Right now, the
    Sony PS-HX500 seems to check all the boxes, but it's a little on the pricey side for what I intend to use it for. Still, it may be the one I go to if I can't find a better (and cheaper) alternative.

Anyone else done this? What's your experience, and what are your recommendations?
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: Converting Analog Vinyl to Digital Format?

I am prertty sure you will do it and be happy, but to me, and I’m stating my own POV, that’s plain heresy.

Instead of doing that, I’d invest money on a real good hi fi set and enjoy the vinyl stash. That’s what I am doing right now. I plan to buy a 60s or 70s Marantz set.

Just my opinion, no flaming intended.

Digital? Not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    I am prertty sure you will do it and be happy, but to me, and I’m stating my own POV, that’s plain heresy.

Instead of doing that, I’d invest money on a real good hi fi set and enjoy the vinyl stash. That’s what I am doing right now. I plan to buy a 60s or 70s Marantz set.

Just my opinion, no flaming intended.

Digital? Not for me.
    I understand your position well, Sérgio. I am primarily interested in putting my music on portable devices, which I can't do with a turntable. I actually have a very fine audio system (Bang & Olufsen) that has AM/FM, CD and cassette, but no turntable (had a B&O tangential-tracking TT years ago). Lack of room (it's an Ouverture Model):

There is an AUX input, and I switch between using a Bluetooth receiver and a direct plug-in to an iPod, but still. . . no turntable.
    Striving to be ordinary

I did a few album digitizations using my Dual turntable connected to a USB adapter. I used Audacity to create the separate files from a recording of the whole side by trimming as necessary and then renaming each song. Very tedious work. There must be better software out there by now. A quick look on the google shows lots of USB turntables, including some fairly decent ones. Good luck. I wish I was that ambitious. I worked for Sam Goody back in the late 70's and bought a LOT of vinyl. I'd love to digitize them all.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

oops - double post
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Forum Member

I have an old Garrard I have used with success, but the cartridge developed a problem. I too used Audacity to edit and label.
    I have a project I need to return to, reel recordings from my wife's great aunt. Her son gave me her reel, and I have 7 tapes recorded both sides. The reel was a Uher and I found a guy in Germany who sent me some usable parts. It is a SOS unit and most recording are piano/organ overdubs, as well as multiple vocal passes. The noise floor is horrible, and using both a graphic, and a parametric EQ helps, but loses some of the content.

I’ve thought about doing this as well but once I thought about the entire signal chain and workflow issues, I shelved that idea. You could probably get one of those relatively cheap LP to USB turntables. But then the quality of the digitization is dependent on the quality of the needle. Can you put a higher quality needle on one of these cheapo converter turntables. Noise issues as well, that has been brought up already.

Then there’s dealing with the RIAA curve as function of how these vinyls were mastered. How to replicate that - hardware or software. Depends on your workflow.

And then there’s the whole optimization for MP3 to consider. Maybe consider FLAC as the destination format?

I know that I wouldn’t have the patience to replicate that process hundreds or thousands of times. I’d maybe get quite selective on which ones I’d digitize. But then I’d realize that those LPs I’d consider digitizing, I’ve already got CD copies and in some cases, have digital downloaded copies. Say for example, Back in Black, I’ve bought that album three times. Same with London Calling and Exile on Main Street and The River...and so on.

I suppose that if you have the patience and motivation, it’s do-able. I’d suggest that once you find your most appropriate fit for hardware, maybe do a few test runs against a known good and compare your digitized version to that known good before proceeding further.

You also have to duplicate in "real time". No "ripping" allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    You also have to duplicate in "real time". No "ripping" allowed.
    Exactly. If you’ve got 100 albums, that’s around 100 hours of “work” right there. Add 50% to 100% for all the post orocessing. If you’ve got 1000 albums, that’s like a full-time job for a year!

Let's not get too carried away.

My interest is primarily digitizing albums for which no digital analog exists. I have some albums that are imports or pressings that are rare or out of print.

I have been fortunate to find some albums on YouTube, which means I can rip them to my computer with little effort, but there may also be times when I just want to pull out an album I have only on vinyl and listen to it.
    Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Let's not get too carried away.

My interest is primarily digitizing albums for which no digital analog exists. I have some albums that are imports or pressings that are rare or out of print.

I have been fortunate to find some albums on YouTube, which means I can rip them to my computer with little effort, but there may also be times when I just want to pull out an album I have only on vinyl and listen to it.
    Oh, that makes more sense!

In that case, I'd probably take them to a professional and have them transferred, saving yourself time and hassle. And you'd likely get a higher quality result compared to DIY with reasonably priced gear.