Thread: Remember Jim Stafford

Remember Jim Stafford

I liked him when I was a teen--Spiders and Snakes, Wildwood Weed, My Girl Bill. Great fun. I thought about him and watched some youtube vids. The dude is old, and like BB King did the last years, he spends more time talking than playing. Not stories with a point, just long, boring prattle really. I wanted him to be better. It's a pity.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Remember Jim Stafford

Apparently few of these one-hit wonders (Jim Stafford, Ray Stevens, Mac Davis, etc) gave any thought to "tomorrow" as they raked in and spent all those royalties that their songs earned. Now -- well past their prime -- they're having to make the state fair and rodeo circuits just to make ends meet. I once saw Roy Clark playing at a grand opening for a one-horse town's Dairy Queen. A good business manager could've spared them all such an undignified fate.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Apparently few of these one-hit wonders (Jim Stafford, Ray Stevens, Mac Davis, etc) gave any thought to "tomorrow" as they raked in and spent all those royalties that their songs earned. Now -- well past their prime -- they're having to make the state fair and rodeo circuits just to make ends meet. I once saw Roy Clark playing at a grand opening for a one-horse town's Dairy Queen. A good business manager could've spared them all such an undignified fate.
    Totally agree. They couldn't decide if they were comedians, actors, or musicians. Same for Jerry Reed. Music? Movies? Comedy? Monster Mash? Alvin and the chipmunks? Does Your Chewing Gum Loose its flavor On The Bedpost Overnight? One Eyed One Horned Flying Purple People Eater? Eensy Weeny Teeny Tidy Yellow Polka Dot Bikini?

History. It's getting to the point we cant really talk about it any more.

That's "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weenie Yellow Polka-dot Bikini" to you, pal!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!