Thread: Princeton Recording amp help

Forum Member

Princeton Recording amp help

Just bought a PRA locally. Because of the pandemic I opted to buy without trying it out in someone else’s house and now I’m having some buyers remorse! To be honest I had listened to several YouTube videos and thought it sounded pretty good,😂!
    Anyway I’m looking for some tips from people who own one on how to get it sounding it’s best. Another thing is that when powering up it makes some weird loud clicks - is this normal?
    I’ve read some contradictory things about the attenuator: is it ok to use it 3-4 clicks lower than full volume? Where do you set your tune controls with single coils? I’m getting a lot of scratchy noise on the volume pot - is this amp absurd to do basic service on? And lastly did you replace the stock speaker?
    thanks

Re: Princeton Recording amp help

welcome to the forum. sorry you are having issues with the PRA. No, weird clicking noises are not normal, I regret to say. I see no problem with using the attenuator, that's why it's there. as far as setting the tone controls, there's no hard set rules. If it sounds good, it is good. At this point, don't bother changing the speakers until you get the issues addressed first. I would not advise trying to go under the hood, or bonnet depending on which side of the pond you're on. There is stuff in there that WILL kill you if you touch it while both hands are on the chassis.

It sounds like your amp needs a tech and I bet the seller knew it, too. Good luck.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"