Thread: Change to IEC receptacle

Forum Member

Change to IEC receptacle

Would it be possible (and safe) to change the power cord in a deluxe reverb reissue to an IEC receptacle and 3 prong amp power cord that are on newer models of amps? If the polarity of the wiring was correct, would it make a difference sound wise, or circuitry wise?

Re: Change to IEC receptacle

I don't see why not. My Princeton Reverb RI has an EIC power cord. Most new amps today do now. It will make no difference tone wise ... unless you're Eric Johnson or something

You will probably have to expand the hole in the chassis that the fixed power cord goes through. How readily that can be done, I have no idea. It might be something to have an experienced tech do for you.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

As long as there's room in the chassis, I think the only real issue is that you'd need an expensive punch to make the opening in the chassis. It could be done with a Dremel or similar tool, but great care would be needed to keep the steel filings away from the transformers and electronics.

yes, the filings from cutting/grinding the opening would be a problem. If you were starting from a fresh new chassis, it would be easy. it might even be more cost effective just to buy a newer deluxe reverb ri with the desired EIC receptacle, and sell the fixed corded one.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

I fail to see any benefit from such tomfoolery.

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

[QUOTE=phantomman;648972]I fail to see any benefit from such tomfoo

Carrying the amp with the cord hanging loose is not a good idea to me. if you put the cord inside the cab, it can pull the speaker wires loose or the reverb tank RCA cables. It would be easier to just plug/unplug a power cord to make it easier. Just wanted to know if it's possible and if it would effect tone.

I did something similar to a rack case I had. They make an adapter that takes a regular plug (similar to this) on the other end https://acworks.com/products/ad1308-...-to-nema-5-15r

If you leave a bit of cord with the regular plug on it you can re-route the new jack where it is most convenient.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

[QUOTE=heave1;648975]
    Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    I fail to see any benefit from such tomfoo

Carrying the amp with the cord hanging loose is not a good idea to me. if you put the cord inside the cab, it can pull the speaker wires loose or the reverb tank RCA cables. It would be easier to just plug/unplug a power cord to make it easier. Just wanted to know if it's possible and if it would effect tone.
    Most of us have been doing that with no issue for many years. 40 years for me. In fact, if my amp has a removable power cord, I coil it up and put it in the back of the amp.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by heave1 View Post
    Few guitarists are that inept and history would seem to agree.

When you get to a gig and discover that you misplaced that removable power cable be sure to let us all know how it goes.

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

My DR clone.has a Weber chassis that was cut for an IEC but I keep a spare cord in the cab as I worry about losing one.
    I don't see any advantage over an attached cord!

Forum Member

I probably will put in the stock power cord. Thanks for all the info.