Thread: DIY Fender vintage reverb tank

Forum Member

DIY Fender vintage reverb tank

How do I make a vintage Fender reverb tank base for my Fender Deluxe Reverb RI? I have seen them on Youtube, but don't know the material or how they are made.

Forum Member

Re: DIY Fender vintage reverb tank

And how do those rubber grommet feet effect the sound of the reverb tank?

Forum Member

Leo used a couple of wood strips, and cardboard, (no rubber grommets then.) The tank was attached through the cardboard with screws. Musicman simply taped the cardboard to the tank with masking tape. That's the way I do it, just be sure to allow the bag a little wiggle room when mounting it.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

The typical reverb tank installation in a vintage Fender combo amp as designed by Leo himself used a "pallet" consisting of a commercial-grade cardboard insulator and a pair of 1/8" plywood skids. The cardboard is the same size as the flanged side of the reverb tank assembly and the plywood strips are sized to fit each flange. The strips were glued to the cardboard with contact cement while the tank was anchored to the pallet with four Ľ-inch #4 philips-head wood screws. The complete tank assembly was inserted into the Tolex bag and held fast to the bottom of the cabinet with a pair of ˝-inch #4 philips-heads wood screws, one at each end of the bag. No rubber grommets were used. The only deviation to this protocol occurred with the Princeton Reverb, which employed a rubber strap to anchor the bagged reverb tank to the bottom of the cabinet.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

I don't have the schematic in front of me but it seems feasible you can just hijack the preamp output before it goes to the output section (?). That said, a Fender reverb unit would be a lot better and provide "the drip".
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    I don't have the schematic in front of me but it seems feasible you can just hijack the preamp output before it goes to the output section (?). That said, a Fender reverb unit would be a lot better and provide "the drip".
    OSA, how many coffees have you NOT had this morning? ;-)