Thread: Bass Players: An Announcement

Bass Players: An Announcement

You guys (and I know you're here; you're quite obvious about it ) might want to know: The KLŌS carbon fiber guitar company has pre-announced...

Electric Bass Guitars! And 6-string electrics, too!

Right now, it's not even on KickStarter, yet. It's an "upcoming project." But if you want to be notified when the announcement is made, you can sign up for it
    here.

No thanks necessary.

Your friendly KLŌS ambassador.

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: Bass Players: An Announcement

There has been some buzz about the basses on the lefty bass site I'm on--a very active site. Someone said that they saw prices of 699/1699 according to the configuration, that the graphite rod is a great thing and makes the bass attractive at those prices. The pic posted was of a righty, and of course, we don't know if there'll be a lefty version. Anyway, the buzz is positive. If the instruments live up to the promise, Klos will have its foot in the market with the big boys.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Make your wishes known! You can contact KLŌS directly about this here: https://klosguitars.com/pages/electric-bass
    Striving to be ordinary

Thanks. I'll pass the address onto the sinister crowd.

I get tickled with them. They buy and sell so many basses, and one will post a pic, and someone will say, "Yeah, I owned that one in 20012," and the other will say, yeah, a couple of other forum members owned it. Then someone will buy it again for the second time. It's so incestuous, but they are a really nice bunch of guys. I bought my Hofner from one of them. He was so honest and pointed out a headstock repair, and the bass was nevertheless perfect. German Höfner I got for a steal really.

I am afraid to put pics of my G&L JB-5 bass on the forum. Somebody might hound the shit out of me to sell it. Ha ha. I did post pics, and they loved it. But these guys are serious dudes who'll pay serious prices for serious basses. Still very nice to folks like me with the old school brands.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Sorry, but as a former Lakland endorser I have not, in twenty + years, found any bass that comes close to my 55-94 Deluxe for playability and quality of build.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    Sorry, but as a former Lakland endorser I have not, in twenty + years, found any bass that comes close to my 55-94 Deluxe for playability and quality of build.
    And for that, I envy you. I've purchased a lot of guitars over the years, and every time I pick up a new one, I say to myself, "This is the one!"

I've been married and divorced twice. That should tell you something about me.
    Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    I'll get a Lakland in my next life unless a windfall comes my way. The G&L was easier on my bank account, and I love it sooooo much. But a Lakland is a bit like a Holy Grail for bassists in the know. I loved the ones U2's Adam Clayton played--I'm more of a fan of U2s music from the late 90s til now. The Lakland is all over those albums.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I'll get a Lakland in my next life unless a windfall comes my way. The G&L was easier on my bank account, and I love it sooooo much. But a Lakland is a bit like a Holy Grail for bassists in the know. I loved the ones U2's Adam Clayton played--I'm more of a fan of U2s music from the late 90s til now. The Lakland is all over those albums.
    IN another life, when I was avoiding work by selling guitars for a living, we got a couple Laklands in used. Really nice bass, great sound, but I didn't care for the thin necks on them - I prefer the FEnder P-bass size, and these were J-bass dimensions. I just can't play the 1.5" nut.
    In perusing their site, I didn't see a wider option for 4-string basses.
    But I'd be interested in checking out these Klos' both the bass and guitar. Hoping the necks have a little meat to them...
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    But I'd be interested in checking out these Klos' both the bass and guitar. Hoping the necks have a little meat to them...
    I heard back from my guy at KLŌS who said the neck radius will be 12." I'm sorry I didn't ask if that was for ALL the electrics coming out, or if they differ. Still, 12" is far fatter than any Strat or Tele made these days...
    Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I heard back from my guy at KLŌS who said the neck radius will be 12." I'm sorry I didn't ask if that was for ALL the electrics coming out, or if they differ. Still, 12" is far fatter than any Strat or Tele made these days...
    Radius is one thing - it's the profile that I'm worried about. A lot of guitars these days are more similar to the superstrats, like the Ibanez Wizard neck - very thin front to back. I can't play those things for more than a few minutes - my hand starts cramping up. |I need something with more meat, like Gibsons, preferably the 50s styles.(yes, I like most Fender necks - especially the ones on the SRV Strat.

Tomorrow Is The Day!

Okay you bass players, here's an image accompanying the announcement. This is the "Apollo."

And a "luthier's video:"

Striving to be ordinary

That is a sharp bass!

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    That is a sharp bass!
    I like everything but the headstock. But that's just me....never been a 2+2 headstock kind of guy. I've played CF/composite neck guitars before - they've felt pretty good. The CF pick guard (actual CF or made to look like CF?) is an interesting touch. Kind of like a 2015 Lamborghini!

Anything interesting going on with the electronics on these basses? Pickups and switches/pots look like they could generate a wide palette of tones.

sharp looking instrument. interesting they went with ash, I was expecting a synthetic material, hmm, like carbon fibre

price to be determined?
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    sharp looking instrument. interesting they went with ash, I was expecting a synthetic material, hmm, like carbon fibre

price to be determined?
    There's early bird pricing on the KickStarter campaign. It looks like:

Model Price
    Apollo Electric $699
    Apollo Electric Bass $799
    Apollo Electric Pro $1599
    Apollo Electric Pro Bass $1699
    Guitar+Bass Apollo Pro Combo $3000
    Striving to be ordinary

|Really nice looking fiddle there.
    Any idea what the nut width will be?

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    |Really nice looking fiddle there.
    Any idea what the nut width will be?
    I don't know for sure, but given it's KLŌS, I suspect it will be 1-11/16" (43mm).
    Striving to be ordinary

My friends on Lefty Bassist tell me they're going to make at least one lefty model. I think my guitar buying days are over, cos if they weren't I'd be interested.