Thread: Let's Post Pics and Stories of Our Special Guitar

Let's Post Pics and Stories of Our Special Guitar

Sergio is really kind to me about my love for my Rickenbacker 4001. He's asked me to make a separate post about it with pics and history. I'm collecting photos of it through the years now and will post soon.

I'm sure many are sick of hearing about my Ric, but I really want to hear about everyone's guitars, a guitar you have that has some history, a guitar that means something to you.

Your instrument doesn't have to be "vintage" to have a great story--if the guitar has meant something to you, it's got a significant history already.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Let's Post Pics and Stories of Our Special Guitar

Okay, I'll play.

Despite the many guitars I've accumulated over the years, my 1957 Gibson ES-225t has a special place in my heart. I acquired it in a trade for some stereo speakers in 1976 or so. What a steal! Its previous owner wasn't a collector and guitars to him were simply tools. He wanted speakers, so we made the trade.

This was my second "real" guitar (I don't consider my first guitar, which was a Sears Kay I bought from a friend for $10 a real guitar). My first new guitar was an acoustic 12-string Framus I bought in Germany in 1971 while attending college there (I still have it). At the time, I couldn't really fathom having more than one guitar, but since the Gibson had a pickup, I "justified" it by claiming I now had one acoustic and one electric.

I have played the poop out of it! At one point, either due to age or mistreatment, the tuning pegs started to crumble! I took it to a place called
    Pink Guitarz (now out of business), which at the time was a highly-regarded repair/luthier shop in a small, rural Virginia town. They did an amazing job replacing the tuning pegs, and also replaced the volume and tone knobs because they too, were falling apart. They didn't have any of the "top hat" knobs, so they used amber barrel knobs, which are still on it (I have ordered a period-correct replacement set). The pickguard shows some warping, but it hasn't interfered with the guitar's playability, so I've left it as is.

In my recent discussions with Stephen Holst, I have told him I'd like a guitar that sounds great unplugged as it does amplified - like my Gibson!

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Okay, I'll play.

Despite the many guitars I've accumulated over the years, my 1957 Gibson ES-225t has a special place in my heart. I acquired it in a trade for some stereo speakers in 1976 or so. What a steal! Its previous owner wasn't a collector and guitars to him were simply tools. He wanted speakers, so we made the trade.

This was my second "real" guitar (I don't consider my first guitar, which was a Sears Kay I bought from a friend for $10 a real guitar). My first new guitar was an acoustic 12-string Framus I bought in Germany in 1971 while attending college there (I still have it). At the time, I couldn't really fathom having more than one guitar, but since the Gibson had a pickup, I "justified" it by claiming I now had one acoustic and one electric.

I have played the poop out of it! At one point, either due to age or mistreatment, the tuning pegs started to crumble! I took it to a place called
    Pink Guitarz (now out of business), which at the time was a highly-regarded repair/luthier shop in a small, rural Virginia town. They did an amazing job replacing the tuning pegs, and also replaced the volume and tone knobs because they too, were falling apart. They didn't have any of the "top hat" knobs, so they used amber barrel knobs, which are still on it (I have ordered a period-correct replacement set). The pickguard shows some warping, but it hasn't interfered with the guitar's playability, so I've left it as is.

In my recent discussions with Stephen Holst, I have told him I'd like a guitar that sounds great unplugged as it does amplified - like my Gibson!

Damned sweet 2nd guitar, there OS. I've always admired the early Gibson ES with the p90s. I had a chance to get a smoking deal on an ES-150 way back when. It looked like an old fashioned guitar (it was!) so I passed on it. Also a trade situation.

Yours is a beautiful specimen!

Yeap. As most of you probably know by now, I ain't the kind of dude that sees guitars as mere tools.

My black American Standard strat, Jessica, would be the one, the special one.

I'll tell the story.

A handful of years ago, I was downtown with a girlfriend and we stopped by a music shop. I wasn't exactly shopping for a strat, but I saw this beautiful Surf Green American Special strat with the big headstock and the shiny frets and it shook me... Didn't make my decision just yet and we went to a cafe. While I sipped the third espresso, I remembered having seen a much classier black strat with a RW fretboard hanging in another store.

Took the car, took the girl home and headed straight to this other place. There it was. I asked to plug it in and it was love at first strum. Came out of the store with an ear to ear smile. The GF was pi$$3d because I spent money on a new guitar and wouldn't speak to me for three days. Well, broke up with her eventually and the guitar is still here

This strat remains the best guitar I've ever played, practically plays itself and has a wide tone palette between the classic strat quack and a thick "rolled back tone knob" rock n roll growl. I love it and would never part with it.

My "number one", for sure. Since I bought it, I've gigged with it much more than with any other guitar ever.

Here's a pic of one of the first gigs I played with it

Last edited by S. Cane; 02-21-2021 at 05:33 PM.

Almost 18 years go, for my 40th birthday, I ordered a an ash Telecaster body and maple neck form USACG. I followed Rob DiStephano's Minwax Wipe On Poly finish instructions and used mostly Fender AVRI '52 hardware and pickguard and tried a series of used pickups until I settled on a set of Fralins.

The guitar came out great! It looked good and played well. It weighed 6-1/2 pounds and rang like a bell like Tommy at USACG said it would, but...

...I didn't like it.

I was thinking about routing it for humbuckers when I started talking to a fellow Fender Forum member about buying a tweed Deluxe Reissue that he was building (maybe 12-15 years ago?). He stuck pretty close to Leo's original formula except for grounding (of course), a 32uF first filter cap and a .047uF coupling cap on the bright channel (I wasn't even sure what those things meant back then. He put a Weber 12A125 in it.

I plugged the guitar into that amp ans it finally made sense! I had found the sound that I was looking for! Since then, I have come to love the guitar with any amp. The frets are worn, but it still plays fine. There's a deep divot into the ash body where I anchor my pinky when I play.

I have a lot of other guitars and amps that I use more often, but this guitar is the closest thing to an extension of me, musically.

My Afghanistan guitar - I had typed up a long explanatory post...but got logged out and I lost all the text.

Anyways, my special guitar is neither rare, vintage nor all that special. It's a 2010 Squier CV Telecaster Deluxe. I bought this while deployed in 2011 (Had it shipped to the APO at my camp - direct from MF to Afghanistan, no tax and free shipping - along with a Line6 amp - also a bass and and amp, but that's another story) to help pass the time. Got my battle buddies to sign this before redeploying. Reminder of some interesting times, that's for sure! Got messages/signatures on the back and sides as well. Almost all of them were US military; I was the sole Canadian in my group, hence all the Canada references in the messages.

This is the guitar that I'm currently rebuilding - basically retiring the body and reusing the rest of it. I'll have the body on display in my studio once I figure out how I want to do that! Thinking about encasing it in resin.

As you can see, the Sharpie has held up fairly well, but is starting to disappear in the forearm area was well as on the lower part of the pick guard. Some mild disappearance on the back as well. I just didn't want it to get any worse as I continue to play it. It's actually a very good recording guitar. I can get some very convincing hard rock tones out of it!

Here she was just before undergoing surgery last week:

OK, here’s the story on my 345.

Back in 1963 some friends and I were putting a band together and at one point our lead guitar player took a bathroom break. While he was absent I picked up his guitar, a sunburst Gibson stereo, and played a couple of chords on it. I thought it was the greatest playing guitar I’d ever had in my hands. The next week, when we got together for practice, I found he had traded that guitar for a new cherry finished Gibson of the same model. The thought of that Gibson never left my mind, and as I aged I always looked for a guitar that felt like that sunburst 345. I owned a very early Fender Esquire, a couple of Gibson 335s, and a first run Gibson Lucille, but never found a guitar that felt/played like that sunburst 345.

Twenty-five years later, I’m playing a gig at a local Holiday Inn (we were the house band for two years) and I’m talking with a customer (car salesman at a local dealer) during a break and he tells me about an old stereo Gibson guitar he owns. It turns out it was my friend’s old guitar that had been traded off in 1963. A couple of years later I was purchasing a pickup truck from this person’s dealership and he happened to be the salesman I was working with. As we’re filling out the paperwork on my truck he asks me if I’d be interested in buying his old Gibson guitar. At that point I really wasn’t thinking about the truck I was buying...it was all about buying that Gibson.

I bought the truck, and I purchased his ES-345 Gibson that I found to be a 1959, first year Gibson ES-345 that I still own 33 years later.

I've got several with that kind of story. I'm pondering which one I should share here...
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

The closest I would have to a story would probably be my ebony R0. It was early 2011 when the new guitars for that year started showing up at my friend's store. I was there that day when a batch came in. Part of that batch was two R0s, consecutive serial numbers and both ebony.

They were checked out and then plugged in. Immediately it was apparent they were not run of the mill guitars. We nicknamed them 'the evil twins'. I memorized the vital stats of the one that particularly stood out for me. It even had me thinking "how do I get this guitar? Do I trade my gorgeous flametop R0 for it?"

The next day I called about the guitar but it was already sold, on a standing order to ship guitars that were exceptional to a big customer on the West coast. Sigh.

A couple months later, it came back as part of a trade. The original strings were still on it and they were unplayed. It was ever bit as good as I remembered. Again, I hesitated and it went out the door the next day, to a different customer with a standing order.

Later that year, I was watching the store while my friend had to run some errands. The big brown truck drops off a half dozen guitars. I get to unpacking them and what do I see? The black R0, returned once again. Untouched. Apparently some people were buying with their eyes, not that I've never done that before I was engrossed in playing it, laying down some Zep grooves, when the owner came back and I didn't hear him. I look up and he's smiling. "Is that what I think it is?"

This time I did not wait and traded right away for it. I've seen a lot of pretty guitars come and go since then but if they couldn't sound this good bone stock, they have no chance of dislodging it.

"Live and learn and flip the burns"

I really wanted a Gibson DC Special Faded (preferably Cherry) and met a buddy (TeleBob/Telenator) to go guitar shopping. I had heard that Eastwood made a passable copy of a double cut so I found an Eastwood dealer nearby and we made the trip.

Unfortunately (or so we thought at the time) the store didn't open until noon (and it was only 10), but Bob knew of another music store nearby. We decided to take a ride over and see what they had. What they had was a 2003 Gibson LP Special DC in Faded Cherry!!! The guy had taken it in trade the day before and had just put it put on the floor. It had a couple semi-busted tuners and it wasn't pristine, but it just plain reeked of mojo!

For the heck of it we ran over to the Eastwood dealership to compare and the Eastwood, while a glossier finish and actually costing more (especially adding the cost of a case) made it clear which was the better guitar. I ran back to the first guy and $500 later I had me a new (used) guitar. I replaced the tuners and bought a case for it (the gig-bag was ripped pretty badly)and it’s awesome! Actually, out of 20+ guitars I own, this is the only one I've ever bought used - and it’s one of my favorites.

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Then there's my other Les Paul story...

After I remarried and things started to come together financially (alimony – DONE! Child Support – DONE!), I decided it was time to get an electric guitar.

I'd been playing the same Gibson J-40 for around 20 years and decided it was time. I’d sold my only electric (Ovation Breadwinner) back in 1980 and had never replaced it. The former Mrs. Junkie had guilted me into ignoring my music for years, but Wife #2 encouraged me. So, for my birthday, I decided to go out and look for something like an Epiphone Dot. I took a two-week vacation and decided to look around and see what I could find. Each day the Mrs. would call me from work and innocently ask where I was going that day. What I didn't know was that she then called each music store and asked the manager to show me nicer guitars. She knew I'd feel too guilty to get something nicer. At one store, I was looking at a Dot and they had a beautiful Gary Moore Les Paul on display. I really dug it, but it was about double what I had set as a budget for a guitar. A couple days had gone by and I still hadn’t found anything that rocked my socks (I was really disappointed in the Dots).

Anyways, that Friday, Mrs. Junkie calls me from work and says she has to work late. That happened a lot, so it raised no red flag, but about two hours later she walks in the house with the Gary Moore LP. (Surprise!). Then she asked me to go out to the car, because she couldn’t carry the Marshall amp she bought to go with it. Of course I had to pay the visa bill, but that was fine with me!!! The amp isn't my favorite, but the Moore has a place of honor on the wall!

I have really enjoyed these stories and seeing all of these guitars. I'm writing a literary piece about the 4001, and I'll post a link when I put it out there.

I'd always loved the sweetness of the D28s, hearing them as I grew up in Nashville. Fast forward to the late 80s. McCartney, Clapton, Gilmour--everybody using them in the resurgence of rock from that era. By the time of Clapton's Unplugged album, I had to have one but it would be years before I'd get one, the year that I earned a good deal of my income with it. I wanted one bad. One day,my only acoustic fell out of a ripped gig bag and smashed. So I laid down for it at Southpaw in Texas, who has the worst customer service of any big online shop I've ever used.

But

This guitar means so much to me. It was there when my first wife and I were happy and I'd use it it to sing to my children. Fun live stuff too, but the home playing I did was better. It was there for the songs I sang of my sorrows and joys. I sat on golden days in my friends' garden in Bavaria and sang for hours. It was the first guitar I ever used on a computer recorded song. It reminds me of nights when my bipolar swing was high and I could own a room, and sometimes beautiful women would whisper something suggestive in my ear. Hard to believe that now, but t'is true. It was there after the relationships after my marriage, solace for my pain, and a whole hell of a lot of fun when I'm playing well.

Last edited by ch willie; 03-04-2021 at 04:17 PM.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I don’t think it matters to anyone but me, but this photo is luthier, Carl Pedigo, with my 55-94 Lakland when I took it in for a tuneup before we’d begin the festival tour season. Carl was (I believe) the head luthier and probably the man that built my bass back in those early days of Lakland basses. I always looked forward to Carl working on my bass and I’d get to spend time in the “play room” at the old Lakland shop on Dominick Street in Chicago where a prototype would maybe be available to experiment with. How cool is it to get to hang in the room where your axe came to life?

Last edited by Laker; 06-25-2022 at 09:47 AM.

Laker, I think that photo is fantastic!!! I can understand how that means something to you. I really like that.

Very cool pic and story indeed, Rob!

Please let us know when. You can get great guitars in Tune-ease-ya.

I don’t know, avatar and such… maybe it’s a real user this time. Otherwise this is getting real creepy.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Most of my guitars have some sort of backstory, but I guess I’d have to call out the one I had the longest. My 1979 Les Paul Std. It was my 1st good guitar and I bought it myself in 79 at age 14. It’s a factory second as the control route was a little “broad” near 1 of the screw points and was splintered. (That piece of wood didn’t chip off until 2007 LOL)

I cut my true guitar teeth with that guitar and it was a staple in my 1st gigging profession. After changing professions, I hit some economic hurdles in the late 80s and early 90s. Those hurdles caused me to pawn it a number of times, but I always got it back.

Fast forward: after multiple fret dressings, a refret , a few new nuts and bridges, a change of TP and pots/caps/pups, and a new case for it, I still have it and it makes it into the rotation.
    Not many Norlins hanging around that are sub 10lbs. (It comes in at 8.75)
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    Most of my guitars have some sort of backstory, but I guess I’d have to call out the one I had the longest. My 1979 Les Paul Std. It was my 1st good guitar and I bought it myself in 79 at age 14. It’s a factory second as the control route was a little “broad” near 1 of the screw points and was splintered. (That piece of wood didn’t chip off until 2007 LOL)

I cut my true guitar teeth with that guitar and it was a staple in my 1st gigging profession. After changing professions, I hit some economic hurdles in the late 80s and early 90s. Those hurdles caused me to pawn it a number of times, but I always got it back.

Fast forward: after multiple fret dressings, a refret , a few new nuts and bridges, a change of TP and pots/caps/pups, and a new case for it, I still have it and it makes it into the rotation.
    holy crap, you got one in a million. pics, please. Pretty please?

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    Less than nine pounds qualifies it as a bonafide anomaly, worthy of a Guinness Book listing!

My '78 tobacco-brown sunburst Les Paul Standard tips the scales right at thirteen pounds. A one-owner instrument, it was my touring guitar for nearly two decades. Aside from a complete re-fret and new Grover tuners in 1999 it's all stock save for the chrome hardware that I ditched in favor of genuine relic nickel, a quartet of knobs from 1958, a TRC from 1955, and a real Catalin switch tip -- all of which were installed the day after I bought it. The electronics are all original and it still sounds great even after forty-three years.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

my '89 Standard was probably at least 13 pounds. My Deluxe is 10 pounds and 0.2 ounces. It doesn't feel that heavy compared to that boat anchor. If it was over 14, it would not surprise me. I have zero idea of the serial number, I wasn't into that kind of stuff back then so I would have no clue to identifying it should the guitar ever present itself to me again.

My LP Trad has no weight relief from what I understand. I read somewhere that the very early 2012s had no weight relief. I wouldn’t swear to it. But if I had a scale, it’d say 10lbs at least.

Hi guys, an avid guitar lover here! What a great thread, so many beautiful instruments on here. Willie, as a big fan of The Beatles, I can assure you I'll never get sick of hearing about your Rickenbacker! The Fab Four and everything around it will always be a classic. Unfortunately, I do not have a pic to share yet, but I'm currently waiting for my white Stratocaster to be shipped from the US. I lost my interest in music a couple of years ago, but recently I bumped into a link that instantly regenerated my love for Guitars. I'll keep you updated. Cheers!
    Last edited by JimmGeis; 02-17-2022 at 07:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmGeis View Post
    Hi guys, an avid guitar lover here! What a great thread, so many beautiful instruments on here. Willie, as a big fan of The Beatles, I can assure you I'll never get sick of hearing about your Rickenbacker! The Fab Four and everything around it will always be a classic. Cheers!

Welcome to the forum!

Cool thread! I have not read any guitar stories in one place so far, and I like stuff like that. I am just a beginner, and it is always interesting to listen to stories from professionals, especially the ones where they tell about their first tries. I hope that one day I will remember my first days as a guitarist like this too. I try not to give it up, but sometimes I have no power to continue and think I am not talented enough. The Guitar Pick still falls from my hands, and I cannot finish the melody with less than 10 mistakes sometimes, but I believe I will get there.
    Last edited by Hoffymawn; 06-24-2022 at 12:20 PM.

I posted these photos and text last year in the Gibson Guitars pub when I bought my 2003 Gibson Music Machine Stinger Hummingbird. Hope it's not too soon for summer repeats:

When I went to the Dallas Guitar Show at the start of May [2021], I knew I wanted to buy a Gibson Hummingbird. If Gibson had been there, with their usual trailer full of instruments, I would have likely bought one of their new reissues of the 1960 Hummingbird. But they, and Fender, were no-shows, presumably as this was the first big guitar show as the pandemic winds down. The best example of a Hummingbird that I saw at the show was at the Jimmy Wallace booth, labeled as a Gibson Hummingbird with “Brazilian rosewood back and sides, and an Adirondack spruce top.” It had Grovers as its tuners, and I thought it looked and played great -- so I bought it. I noticed it had a stinger painted on the headstock, and I remember telling my wife that afternoon back in the hotel that “I remember there was this big reissue series of Les Pauls that were popular at the LPF right around the time I joined,” and started googling to read threads at the LPF and elsewhere to refresh my memory of the old Music Machine Stingers. But then I started to get cold feet – what if I had bought a Chibson? (While I was in this Schrodinger’s Guitar phase, I thought, if this is a Chibson, it plays and sounds fantastic!)

So I emailed Gibson photos of the guitar, didn’t hear anything back, waited a week, and ultimately I called the Gibson customer support number. I got a hold of someone who found my photos, and started researching the serial number, telling me it was made in Bozeman in 2003.

Stinger. 2003. Is this a Music Machine Hummingbird?! I was able to get in touch on LinkedIn with former Music Machine owner Rick van Heel, who verified the guitar for me, telling me it was one of five Hummingbirds Music Machine had commissioned from Gibson, with a Brazilian back, sides, and fingerboard, and provided the COA.

Somehow, I’ve lucked into a very rare, great sounding guitar – thanks Rick for verifying it, and for being part of the team that commissioned it in the first place!

2007 Gibson Everly Brothers, 2003 Gibson Music Machine Hummingbird, 2019 Nashville-Strung Taylor Mini.

2003 Music Machine Stinger Series Brochure.

Forum Member

My favorite is a 10 string pedal steel!
    10 or more years ago, I discovered a Fender 8 string cable pull that a fellow left in my garage years earlier, and decided I'd give it a try. I did research, and set it up E9, (minus the top 2 strings). and started playing along with recorded music. I worked on my old friend Ted's wife's truck sometime later, and told her I sure wish Ted was still around to give me some help, although he'd probably make fun of my antique guitar. A few days later she came by and brought Ted's Sho-Bud, said she wouldn't sell it but to play with it. I had to fix a few things, but I learned a few licks and enjoyed the guitar, a few years later she offered to sell, so I bought it! Sadly I haven't uncovered it the past couple of years, but through my Twin, it really sounds sweet!

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    but through my Twin, it really sounds sweet!
    That's what a Twin Reverb is for!

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Welp - I got to treat myself to a Mod Shop Strat just recently. It's amazing.

"...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post
    Welp - I got to treat myself to a Mod Shop Strat just recently. It's amazing.

is that a hard tail?