Thread: Super Champ x2

Forum Member

Super Champ x2

So my tube failed and caused some resisters to blow. It’s being repaired and he is replacing the bad tubes with Jj’s. Couple questions. Should I just replace all tubes with jj’s. Will replacing the speaker have any affect on the speaker out going to the PA? Asin will it change the tone at all. I’m assuming the tubes will have an affect on that. Was thinking about going with a Ragin’ Cajun.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Super Champ x2

New tubes are not likely to alter your amp's tone but upgrading the speaker to an Eminence Ragin' Cajun will provide a significant sonic improvement.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Welcome to the forum! Which tube failed? Why do you need to replace multiple tubes if only one is bad?

What resistors failed? Did they cause the failure of other tubes? What speaker is in it currently? Why would you replace it?

Details.

Changing the speaker will not have an affect on the Line Out (I assume that's what you mean) going to the PA. The Rajin' Cajun will be louder than the stock speaker at a given volume. I liked the Eminence Copperhead in that amp. It was louder and punchier than the stock speaker and still had a Fender-like sound.

In that amp, one half of the 12AX7 is used in the preamp and the other is used for the phase inverter. Changing it may have a minor affect on sound. Change the power tubes and set bias as required.

But, more importantly, like vinyl asked, which tube and resistors failed and why?

Forum Member

I don’t know which tube failed but I figured it would be safer replacing them all if one already had a problem. And the way he explained it to me the tube failure is what took out the resistors. The only resistor I know of that he told me about was one to the power supply I believe. He didn’t tell me what the other two were. The speaker that’s in it is the factory one. I did research on the Ragin’ Cajun and everybody says it gives more mids and lows. I am no electronics expert but from what he said I understood it to mean that too much power got through the tube and made it to the resistors

My guess (only because it's one of the more common scenarios) is that a power tube failed and took out a screen grid resistor and maybe a dropping resistor leading to it. In that case, both power tubes would be replaced with a matched pair. Some techs will replace both screen grid resistors when one fails- especially if they think the original was a low quality component. Like it said, this is all just speculation. If your tech is on top of it I wouldn't worry about it.

There's no need to replace the 12AX7 unless it's noisy or has failed- they can last a long time.

Forum Member

Yes he did mention a screen grid. But I had no clue what he was talking about.

Forum Member

I've read an older thread on another site that said the Ragin Cajun is better for OD/Distortion and that the Copperhead was better for clean. Does that mean the RC doesn't have good clean? At church I use channel 2 so I don't have to hook up all my pedals. But for gigging I use clean with pedals.

Forum Member

Another way to go is with an extension cab. I found this 1X12 cheap on the net. Some grill cloth and a logo and they matched up pretty well.