Thread: Dating a Telecaster

Dating a Telecaster

Hi, I am moving house and when boxing all my stuff I have discovered an old telecaster that someone left behind here, it says made in USA on the headstock, maple neck ( lacquered but chipped off on the high e string in areas ) so I decided to try and find out about it.

when I tried a few serial number lookups it said both

Fuji-gen Plant (for Fender Japan)

and

Corona Plant (Fender) -- How topical

dates range from early to mid 90's

needs some new strings but sounds quite nice and feels pretty good. Just wondered what the discrepancy on the factory was all about ? and what its value would be ?

Hi all btw ;)

Re: Dating a Telecaster

We'd need to see a pic or two in order to know what model it is.

This is how to post photos on a forum such as ours:

https://www.thefenderforum.com/forum...-Photos-on-TFF
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

ok,

I am trying to track down the original owner, but not having much luck atm. Cant remember the name of the person who I think it might be. so searches on social media keep coming back to some bald comedian who I am pretty sure it isnt ;)

just asking but do you play guitar? Because, you know, hey a free guitar LOL

I'm a little rusty on prices for '90s stuff and I'll probably be under pricing due to the current market conditions. A thorough look over the guitar, which I would do in the process of giving it a set up, would include looking under the pickguard for more clues.

I kind of doubt if the headstock waterslide is a fake, it looks quite real so I'd be inclined to believe the Corona, CA s/n possibility.

You'd sell that in a new york minute at 5-6 hundred. Would a flipper try to put it up for 1100, 1200? Maybe, but they'd be hard-pressed to get it. Realistically, an educated seller could probably get 7-8 hundred for it but you got to be able to talk the talk and walk the walk. People will try to low ball you if you ask the upper end. Put it up at 5 and it will be gone and out of your hair (assuming you're not bald like the comedian you keep finding when looking for the previous owner )
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

The 93 American Standard Strat I have has the N number on the front of the headstock. Not sure if the Teles were like that too. Maybe they did them on the back because of the smaller headstock area?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

That's an American Standard Telecaster. The "N" in the serial number indicates the decade- the '90s. The 5 indicates the specific year- '95. That can be off a little- I don't think they threw decals away just because the year ended. It was pretty common for the neck finish to chip on those.

I bought one of these new. It was a nice sounding guitar. A little smoother and less twangy sounding than an old style Telecaster which would appeal to some.

Regarding value, it looks to only be in fair condition, but probably a good player. Do a reverb.com search for sold items- most recent first and you can get an idea of what they're selling for nationally. It would go for less in a local sale.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    just asking but do you play guitar? Because, you know, hey a free guitar LOL

I'm a little rusty on prices for '90s stuff and I'll probably be under pricing due to the current market conditions. A thorough look over the guitar, which I would do in the process of giving it a set up, would include looking under the pickguard for more clues.

I kind of doubt if the headstock waterslide is a fake, it looks quite real so I'd be inclined to believe the Corona, CA s/n possibility.

You'd sell that in a new york minute at 5-6 hundred. Would a flipper try to put it up for 1100, 1200? Maybe, but they'd be hard-pressed to get it. Realistically, an educated seller could probably get 7-8 hundred for it but you got to be able to talk the talk and walk the walk. People will try to low ball you if you ask the upper end. Put it up at 5 and it will be gone and out of your hair (assuming you're not bald like the comedian you keep finding when looking for the previous owner )

OK cool, I do play .. sort of, just a bedroom tinkerer I have an Epiphone Les Paul standard and I used to have a mexican strat (also have an ancient Gheson SG copy that was my first guitar many moons ago) so I can bash out a few tunes and yeah it sounds nice, the wear on the neck is a little annoying but the frets seem good and it feels nice.

The case is a bit bashed up and I feel like it was someones live instrument at some point but if I cant remember this guys name then I guess I will probably keep it ;) worth more to me than 5-6 hundred (guessing this is USA dollars ?).
    Only thing I would probably change if I brought a tele would be to get a blond one with black pickguard, something about that colour just screams tele to me, maybe thats amod I can do if I never find the owner ;) thanks for the help.

Every timer I see a thread about dating a guitar, I want to offer:

1. Bring flowers
    2. Take her somewhere nice
    3. Show her respect.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    Every timer I see a thread about dating a guitar, I want to offer:

1. Bring flowers
    2. Take her somewhere nice
    3. Show her respect.
    LOL! Every time I see this thread title I want to say something similar. "I once dated a Telecaster..."
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

If I were to date a Telecaster, it would be a Blonde.