Thread: 1) Maple Fretboard / 2) Journey Back to Bass

1) Maple Fretboard / 2) Journey Back to Bass

The more I play the JB I put together from an AmPro body and an AmPro righty neck, the more I like it. I don't know why, but I feel "closer" to the maple fretboard. It's a player's bass. Rosewood on Fender basses just feels and looks too formal. Stupid, I know, but I do play more freely somehow with the maple FB. It's all psychology.

When I joined this group in 2008, I was about guitars 90%, about basses 10%. Now, it's probably 70% bass. I like the power of locking in with the drummer and then rumbling your brains, guts, and nuts.

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: 1) Maple Fretboard / 2) Journey Back to Bass

how does the hendrix treatment feel on the tension of the strings?
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    how does the hendrix treatment feel on the tension of the strings?
    It all feels natural to me. Although it might affect the tension, I haven't noticed. Now that I have the lefty side dots, I really never think about it being a righty neck.

I'm going to have that righty neck on my black Strat too. For me, it's simply a matter of getting a maple neck. I hate the day that Hendrix turned a Strat upside down because no matter that you play a different type of music, everybody's going to think I'm trying to be Hendrix. The Strat's more Gilmourish but still with upside down neck.
    Last edited by ch willie; 02-21-2021 at 05:20 AM.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    It all feels natural to me. Although it might affect the tension, I haven't noticed. Now that I have the lefty side dots, I really never think about it being a righty neck.

I'm going to have that righty neck on my black Strat too. For me, it's simply a matter of getting a maple neck. I hate the day that Hendrix turned a Strat upside down because no matter that you play a different type of music, everybody's going to think I trying to be Hendrix. The Strat's more Gilmourish but still with upside down neck.
    I've got a build planned for a reversed Strat (I'm a righty so I'd want it shaped as lefty - though Warmoth does a reversed - so essentially a lefty with the controls still at the bottom for a righty) but in my case it's not Hendrix I have in mind, but Joe Perry and his lefty / righty that he mostly uses for Sweet Emotion.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    I've got a build planned for a reversed Strat (I'm a righty so I'd want it shaped as lefty - though Warmoth does a reversed - so essentially a lefty with the controls still at the bottom for a righty) but in my case it's not Hendrix I have in mind, but Joe Perry and his lefty / righty that he mostly uses for Sweet Emotion.
    It is a cool look, and Joe probably likes it because of the Hendrix vibe. And Hendrix did look cool af when he flipped a Strat. But it's a bit like wearing an SRV vest and hat--if you're going to do that, you better have SRV-level chops. I don't know if I'll ever play live again, so it's a non-issue, and in any case, I'll sling that JB or the Strat without a worry.

My 1996 MIA P-Bass Deluxe is Shoreline Gold with a maple board. Looks like I swiped it from an angel.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Jim View Post
    My 1996 MIA P-Bass Deluxe is Shoreline Gold with a maple board. Looks like I swiped it from an angel.

That color is beautiful. Good on you!