Thread: Took the plunge on a new computer

Took the plunge on a new computer

It's a matter of time before my main computer, the one I use all the time, bites the dust. I've been backing it up regularly. It's a veritable methuselah at 11 years old. Today Amazon had a deal where the new M1 Mac mini was 100 dollars off. There had been 30 dollars here and 60 dollars there sales but I held off. I highly doubt if I'll see anything better than this.

Sometime around the end of March beginning of April is the expected shipping date. This is fine with me. Hopefully I don't have catastrophic failure of both of my computers before then. *knock wood*

This gives me time to trim the excess from my files, I've got so much carry over from the previous generations that I seriously do not need. If I can find a way to just transfer my music, pictures and journals, I'd shit can everything else and just go with whatever is on the new machine. I still have to decide whether to make the new machine my main personal device or convert my music machine into that role.

What I may end up doing is getting another wired keyboard and mouse. I'm tired of wireless keyboards and mice that need to have the batteries be changed (or recharged since the new ones are strictly that). Every time I have to restart the music machine there's that long, tense interval before the computer recognizes and connects to its wireless peripherals. I'll probably be having to get a powered USB hub and a Thunderbolt hub to be able to connect the MIDI keyboard, Audio interface, USB sticks, backup drives, keyboard and mouse, hopefully 2 monitors
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Re: Took the plunge on a new computer

Let us know how you like an M1 Mac. Apple's new silicone is reported to perform rings around the current crop of CPUs.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

it'll be arriving some time around March 29 to April 2.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Forum Member

Years ago, I bought a program called Casper, it allows you to clone parts or all of a drive. Makes it easy to move files, etc. Of course if the old one holds out, you can just use the network to move things.