Thread: Welcome to the world of MIDI, padawan

Welcome to the world of MIDI, padawan

so far I've got the keys working but not yet the drum pads. I can do some drums with the piano keys.

But holy shit, is there a freaking ton of stuff. Mostly I've been messing with the vintage B3 sounds, electric pianos, grand pianos, strings, cello, double bass. I haven't even begun to mess with the parameters yet of the filters, reverbs, delays, echoes etc.

When I finally get a real music room again, I'm going to get a big keyboard. Haven't really decided if I'm going to max out at 88 keys yet but I'm thinking about it.

I did an 8 measure drums and soul B3 test track tonight. I don't know if this auto quantizes to the nearest beat or if I just happen to hit it just right. I got to learn the ins and outs of how to make the notes and chords fade away naturally.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Re: Welcome to the world of MIDI, padawan

On the journey of 1,000 miles, taking first steps you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Jim View Post
    On the journey of 1,000 miles, taking first steps you are.
    Indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    so far I've got the keys working but not yet the drum pads. I can do some drums with the piano keys.

But holy shit, is there a freaking ton of stuff. Mostly I've been messing with the vintage B3 sounds, electric pianos, grand pianos, strings, cello, double bass. I haven't even begun to mess with the parameters yet of the filters, reverbs, delays, echoes etc.

When I finally get a real music room again, I'm going to get a big keyboard. Haven't really decided if I'm going to max out at 88 keys yet but I'm thinking about it.

I did an 8 measure drums and soul B3 test track tonight. I don't know if this auto quantizes to the nearest beat or if I just happen to hit it just right. I got to learn the ins and outs of how to make the notes and chords fade away naturally.
    Cool!

and this is where some of the understanding of MIDI mapping comes in. For the drums, or any instrument for that matter, you may not be able to engage the instrument from the controller if you’re in too low or too high an octave....especially on those smaller 25 key controller. Octave up or octave down might give you access to those drum sounds. But depends on how the VST is designed and works.

Additionally, you can map rotary pots on the controller to the drawbar controls on the B3 instrument for a more realistic B3 experience. Mapping those secondary controls isn’t necessarily plug and play. You might have to read the manual or something!

But you’re on the right track for sure!

Drum pads have been engaged, repeat, drum pads have been engaged. Houston, we have percussion. Over.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    Drum pads have been engaged, repeat, drum pads have been engaged. Houston, we have percussion. Over.
    Ignition in 5.... 4.... 3....2....

Or should I say "1 ana 2 ana 3...."

;-)

I will be back to recording in a bit, hitting a learning stretch that I don't want to stop and the little keyboard is deeply involved in the process along with the CV70 strat. Haven't had an interlude like this in, like, forever it seems. Play while the honeymoon shines.