Thread: My turn to start Sunday thread.

My turn to start Sunday thread.

Glad to give OS a break - snow predicted on and off all week - never a lot, but steady. Taking a four day weekend. I am chairing a search committee for a new Executive Director for Discovering Amistad. We own the Schooner, "The Amistad" and are trying to hire our first Exec. Great article in the New Haven Register/CT Post yesterday about it... https://www.ctpost.com/projects/2021...ls/the-amistad The search is eating up a good chunk of time but we hope to have a choice in the next couple weeks.

Have a great week everyone.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Re: My turn to start Sunday thread.

It's Valentine's Day! If you recognize this "Hallmark Holiday." Alas, these days, my valentine is my granddaughter, and because of COVID, I can't see her as often as I'd like. Still, I'll send her a note today to let her know I'm thinking of her.

We've been having the infamous "wintery mix" here, so the roads and walks are glazed with ice. Still, I put on my winter hiking boots and slowly make my way around. Gotta get my cardio in! Other than that, it's been read, listen and play so far this weekend. I have no interest in turning on the tube and being lied, pandered, or condescended to.

Thanks for starting the Sunday thread, GJ. I did the unusual this morning: pulled the covers back over my head and stayed in bed a while.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

I’m up and at em earlier than usual this morning. Being interviewed for a music podcast at 09:00...podcast is a long format/deep dive review into rock albums that are considered to be classic. It’s my turn as a Patreon supporter to give the hosts my album pick. They don’t know the pick yet so I’m hoping to surprise them. I’ve been taunting them for a few weeks now about how they don’t talk much about bass players in their shows. There’ll be no avoiding it since for this album, the band’s bass player is the only one featured on the cover - besides playing a bigger than usual role than “just the bass player” on this album.

other than that, I have a goal to finish my partscaster build today. And hopefully get a bit of playing time in.

Light snow last night and seasonably cold (-11C) so will go out for a quick XC ski session mid afternoon.

My ladies are planning a Valentines feast for today - homemade pasta with homemade bolognese sauce, tiramisu with strawberries for dessert!

Hey GJ - interesting stuff about your work with Amistad. Have you heard about the work being done in Sequim, WA on the Tally Ho? Not as interesting provenance as the Amistad but the restoration process and the craftsmanship involved is fascinating (to me). There’s a YouTube channel - if you haven’t already seen it - hosted by the lead builder - guy called Leo.
    Last edited by dirtdog; 02-14-2021 at 06:47 AM.

I'm on a 5 day weekend. I didn't manage to take all of my vacation time off last year and they let us roll it over through March this year. I've got to write some gear sale ads.

had my first gear snafu due to address change. apparently stewmac's system had my old mailing address connected to a credit card I have. Now the card itself has the correct address. Their system should have balked at the sale or at least asked to confirm the address. It went to my old address and then got forwarded to a nearby black hole, presumably in our galaxy. It was a neck rest I wanted before I try working on filing nut slots. I have the files already.

cool but not unreasonably so, cloudy. Snow predicted for today and tomorrow seems to have decided to wait until later in the evening tomorrow and it could be snow or ice on Tuesday.

Futzing around with midi last night. Found I could make an MIDI track and record it to an existing project. So far I've only been able to use one note, still trying to figure out how to make a progression. Baby steps to start. Although this is probably more like learning how to sit upright than walking So, yes, you can use just your computer keyboard and mouse to create MIDI tracks. I do think it would be a whole lot easier on a physical piano type keyboard. OMG. I just checked and it arrived. Woo hoo. I'm off to the mail room. I think I know what I'll be doing today
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

dirtdog, I remember you talking about this podcast. Can you remind me of the name? I might already have subscribed, just want to make sure.

Interesting stuff, GJ. I'll check it out. If you need a bathroom attendant, I'm your man.

Like millions, I'm waiting for the snow. We had a pretty significant ice storm a couple of days ago. Cozy day to be inside.

I had a first date with someone yesterday, nice woman my age. I like her so far. I gave her a Valentine's day card for "a friend" and a bottle of French wine. She appreciated the gesture. No sweet and beautiful woman should be without a card and little gift for the day.

Today is a good day to clean house and continue on my Strat project. I'll have the Strat fixed up within a couple of days.

Stay safe guys.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    Glad to give OS a break - snow predicted on and off all week - never a lot, but steady. Taking a four day weekend. I am chairing a search committee for a new Executive Director for Discovering Amistad. We own the Schooner, "The Amistad" and are trying to hire our first Exec. Great article in the New Haven Register/CT Post yesterday about it... https://www.ctpost.com/projects/2021...ls/the-amistad The search is eating up a good chunk of time but we hope to have a choice in the next couple weeks.

Have a great week everyone.

GJ, when I lived in Stoors / Coventry, I used to go to Mystic for day trips. I loved that place. What an incredible thing you guys are doing there. Just amazing!!!!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    dirtdog, I remember you talking about this podcast. Can you remind me of the name? I might already have subscribed, just want to make sure.

Interesting stuff, GJ. I'll check it out. If you need a bathroom attendant, I'm your man.

Like millions, I'm waiting for the snow. We had a pretty significant ice storm a couple of days ago. Cozy day to be inside.

I had a first date with someone yesterday, nice woman my age. I like her so far. I gave her a Valentine's day card for "a friend" and a bottle of French wine. She appreciated the gesture. No sweet and beautiful woman should be without a card and little gift for the day.

Today is a good day to clean house and continue on my Strat project. I'll have the Strat fixed up within a couple of days.

Stay safe guys.
    Hey, nice work, Willie - still out there slayin' the ladies! Nice touch with the Valentine's treats as well. I was terrible at dating even when I was single. I can only imagine what it takes to get out there and do it today - at our ages (I'm just a little bit younger than you).

To answer your podcast question - this is the one: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...t/id1350297574

I get name checked once in a while since I've known these guys going on three and a half decades! The episode we recorded this morning will be published in the next month or so. I chose London Calling by The Clash.

So far today: one out of three goals accomplished but I added a fourth and fifth. Podcast done, snowblowing done, reorganized my garage to temporarily store a broken washing machine (replaced it with a new one this week). Taking a break then will move on to the partscaster job. May not get out for a ski today - there's too many civilians out there today what with the nicer weather and it being Sunday. Tomorrow looks good, tho!
    Last edited by dirtdog; 02-14-2021 at 11:07 AM.

Up at 3:30 this morning to find the temperature at 12 degrees below zero and really thankful that I got the snow cleaned up last night when it was still around 4 degrees above zero.

We were watching the Daytona 500 until the big crash and rain delay so who knows what comes next today. Life goes on.

Thanks, dirtdog. I've subscribed and look forward to hearing your ideas.. You've recommended the show to me before. Glad I got it added. Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Thanks, dirtdog. I've subscribed and look forward to hearing your ideas.. You've recommended the show to me before. Glad I got it added. Thanks for the link.
    Right on, Willie, thanks for doing that. I’ll tell the boys to send me my kickback money, pronto! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post

Futzing around with midi last night. Found I could make an MIDI track and record it to an existing project. So far I've only been able to use one note, still trying to figure out how to make a progression. Baby steps to start. Although this is probably more like learning how to sit upright than walking So, yes, you can use just your computer keyboard and mouse to create MIDI tracks. I do think it would be a whole lot easier on a physical piano type keyboard. OMG. I just checked and it arrived. Woo hoo. I'm off to the mail room. I think I know what I'll be doing today
    I use a program called Musictime which is a dinosaur but highly functional. You write music notation, either with a mouse and a computer keyboard, or connect a MIDI music keyboard and it will record what you play. Then teh software converts to MIDI. You can multiple multiple tracks to different instruments. Ral intuitive... It is a bit dated, but I also use Forte but prefer Musictime.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Hi Nick, you saw the pics. Thanks for the kudos. Hope the snow passes you by. So for so good here. In fact, yesterday was beautiful here.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Hi Nick, you saw the pics. Thanks for the kudos. Hope the snow passes you by. So for so good here. In fact, yesterday was beautiful here.

Chuck
    Those were some nice fish. I need to come up there in the summer and catch 'em the old fashioned way - with a rod and reel!

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    Those were some nice fish. I need to come up there in the summer and catch 'em the old fashioned way - with a rod and reel!
    That can be arranged! Maybe a TFF offshore fishing tournament with an evening jam session.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim