Thread: Anybody use MIDI in their DAW?

Anybody use MIDI in their DAW?

I'm itching to get some strings and key sounds in my recordings but I'm a total noob to MIDI. I know that Logic Pro has gobs of sounds just waiting for me to step up and use them but for my lack of familiarity.

What do those of you who are MIDI adept use for controlling it? I really don't think I'm going to need a ton of drum pads and knobs. I want to be able to pick a sound I like, play some chords, and mix it in with drums (loops, samples, etc) and bass (both real and MIDI). Eventually I may be learning how to control automation via MIDI instead of using a mouse all the time.

I don't want a full size keyboard. horizontal surface is too precious to me. I have to be able to easily pick it up and stand it on end off to the side, which will probably be 80-90% of the time.

So far, after googling and reading for procrastination purposes I've seen an AKAI Professional MPK Mini MKII that is USB powered (big plus), light @ 1.1 pounds and reasonably price. After checking CL, it appears that I'm far better off buying new than driving all the way to Boston or Burlington VT to try to save 20 or 30 dollars and buy a used one.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Re: Anybody use MIDI in their DAW?

I use MIDI alongside waveform audio in my DAWs. Sounds like you've got it sussed.

I am ashamed to admit that I don't even know how a midi does or really what it does, but I'm getting ready to orchestrate a track, and I need to learn.

I have a Korg Kross 88 weighted key. Great gear, but I don't know how to tap into mide and I don't even know how to deal with the daw and and midi I've got decent gear and need to do a lot of learning. I am a bit overwhelmed.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

MIDI is like word processing: it's a string of instructions that tell MIDI-equipped devices what to do. Most of the MIDI data is in the form of note-on and note off messages, which are recorded in a sequencer and played back as raw data.

MIDI doesn't contain sound: it just tells synthesizers and such how to make a sound and which sound to make.

Your KROSS keyboard has a built in sequencer, but using it is a lot more difficult than simply recording MIDI from the Korg to your DAW. A computer based DAW gives you many orders of magnitude greater control and access to the data.

Does your KROSS output MIDI via USB? I'm pretty sure it does, so you don't need an interface... just run a cable from the USB out to your computer.
    Last edited by Gravity Jim; 02-11-2021 at 12:43 PM.

I think it might be. I’ll check. Your explanation helps. Thanks so much.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I think it might be. I’ll check. Your explanation helps. Thanks so much.
    There's a fine book on the subject by Craig Anderton called MIDI For Musicians that makes everything clear. 10 bucks in paperback.

https://www.amazon.com/MIDI-Musician.../dp/0825610508

I’m a friggin’ old guy and have no idea what a DAW is. I used to use midi to control sound effects and lighting back in the late ‘80s but have no idea about current stuff. Maybe it’s time to hang up my rock ‘n roll boots, eh?

TFF Stage Crew

DAW = Digital Audio Workstation. Can be a standalone thing, but generally refers to your computer running recording software, like Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, etc.

There are 1001 options for MIDI controllers. Depends what you want for form factor. Keyboard is most common but there’s some pretty freaky things out there. I’ve got three keyboard controllers: a mini 25 key, a full size 25 key and a full size 49 key. Full size in terms of key size. I use the full size 25 key most often. These are all MIDI over USB so you don’t need anything complicated to make things work. Your DAW should automatically recognize the controller as an input. Some of they keys controller have built in sequencers and aroeggiators, some don’t. Something like the Novation Launchkey Mini can take you pretty far for a hundred bucks. Only goes up from there!

Now, that’s only one half of the equation...the deeper and infinite hole is software instruments that you deploy as a plug-in (VST). Piano, organ, keys, etc are the usual suspects along with orchestral instruments. Quality varies. Then there’s synths - the classics and all kinds of weird stuff. The MIDI controller controls the software from within the DAW....that’s the usual architecture.

I use Logic so there all kinds of great stuff included. Some DAWs have nothing but most have something useable to tinker with.

i was always of the opinion of if I could have a decent piano, B3 and a Rhodes, I’d be good to go. But I’ve definitely gone down the oddball keys and synths rabbit home....starting with the Mellotron and getting weirder from there. I’m a big fan of Spitfire Studios stuff - but it’s not cheap, I always wait for a deal when it comes to their stuff.

I should say that I’m NOT a keyboard player. I can plink out scales and play simple chords/progressions. Also not a two handed player so I don’t need more than a couple of octaves at a time. That’s why 25 works for me. After playing around with the software for a couple of years, I’ve just gotten into hardware synths. THAT’S a whole nother workd!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Jim View Post
    There's a fine book on the subject by Craig Anderton called MIDI For Musicians that makes everything clear. 10 bucks in paperback.

https://www.amazon.com/MIDI-Musician.../dp/0825610508
    got a copy of the book heading my way, thanks for the link
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Don't worry about "MIDI". To the user that's not important. All you really need for Logic is your computer keyboard to access the instruments. Granted that's not the most user friendly way to go. A good, cheap alternative is to get something like an M-AUDIO Key Rig which is just a USB keyboard.

1) Plug USB keyboard into Mac
    2) Create a track
    3) Select the instrument or sounds you want
    4) You're done. ( unless you want to effect the instrument with plug-ins )

There's probably many, many YouTube tutorials but it's so easy you shouldn't need them.

All the MIDI is built in to Logic so you don't need to worry about it. My advice: when you start using virtual instruments keep it simple. It's too easy to be distracted by barking dog sounds, space lasers, etc. Learn how to build a percussion track - that's where you can get an awful lot of bang for your buck. If you can tap out a rhythm with with your fingers you have all you need.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Don't worry about "MIDI". To the user that's not important. All you really need for Logic is your computer keyboard to access the instruments. Granted that's not the most user friendly way to go. A good, cheap alternative is to get something like an M-AUDIO Key Rig which is just a USB keyboard.

1) Plug USB keyboard into Mac
    2) Create a track
    3) Select the instrument or sounds you want
    4) You're done. ( unless you want to effect the instrument with plug-ins )

There's probably many, many YouTube tutorials but it's so easy you shouldn't need them.

All the MIDI is built in to Logic so you don't need to worry about it. My advice: when you start using virtual instruments keep it simple. It's too easy to be distracted by barking dog sounds, space lasers, etc. Learn how to build a percussion track - that's where you can get an awful lot of bang for your buck. If you can tap out a rhythm with with your fingers you have all you need.

Chuck
    Agree with you to a point, Chuck. You don’t need to know anything about MIDI to hook up a controller and lay down MIDI “notes” in a DAW.

However, when you want to start editing MIDI inside Logic (and you will), it helps to know a bit about what those little MIDI “notes” are and how to manipulate them. Granted, you don’t need Craig Anderton level knowledge to do that (any more). I remember having to futz around with MIDI maps on PCs years ago. Not so in Logic in 2021.

And you’re bang on with the drums (pardon the pun).

Do you use the midi on orchestral strings to create glissandos? I need to figure a way to do that. I do have an expression pedal for the keyboard that will help with that. i guess experimentation is the key?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    Agree with you to a point, Chuck. You don’t need to know anything about MIDI to hook up a controller and lay down MIDI “notes” in a DAW.

However, when you want to start editing MIDI inside Logic (and you will), it helps to know a bit about what those little MIDI “notes” are and how to manipulate them. Granted, you don’t need Craig Anderton level knowledge to do that (any more). I remember having to futz around with MIDI maps on PCs years ago. Not so in Logic in 2021.

And you’re bang on with the drums (pardon the pun).
    You still don't need to know MIDI though, You can go to the piano role, click on the note and move it, change dynamics, pitch, whatever all with your mouse. It's super easy.

The other thing that's really useful is learning how to automate tracks. You can bring reverb (or any other effect) in and out, change levels, pan, whatever anywhere you need in a take.

MIDI is really just an interface that lets things talk to each other. As you noted, the mapping is no longer an issue for Logic users.

Yeah, the drum thing is great for practicing too. It sure beats a metronome.
    Last edited by Offshore Angler; 02-12-2021 at 10:29 AM.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    You still don't need to know MIDI though, You can go to the piano role, click on the note and move it, change dynamics, pitch, whatever all with your mouse. It's super easy.

The other thing that's really useful is learning how to automate tracks. You can bring reverb (or any other effect) in and out, change levels, pan, whatever anywhere you need in a take.

MIDI is really just an interface that lets things talk to each other. As you noted, the mapping is no longer an issue for Logic users.

Yeah, the drum thing is great for practicing too. It sure beats a metronome.
    Agreed.

For mixing/automation, I use a MIDI over USB DAW controller (Presonus Faderport 8). Yet another example of how MIDI and DAWs interact but I'm guessing that's a step beyond for where Dan is right now.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Do you use the midi on orchestral strings to create glissandos? I need to figure a way to do that. I do have an expression pedal for the keyboard that will help with that. i guess experimentation is the key?
    Depends on both the controller and the VST. I can do that with a keyboard controller and one VST from Spitfire Audio called BBC Orchestra that can perform those musical movements in various ways, So, yes, as long as the VST instrument supports that movement.

There are purpose built controllers that can do things like this - e.g., this: https://www.soundonsound.com/news/na...e-touche-video

ch willie, are you sure you mean "glissando?" Or are you talking about a volume effect, like a swell?

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Jim View Post
    ch willie, are you sure you mean "glissando?" Or are you talking about a volume effect, like a swell?
    Jim, I might have the word wrong, I'd like notes to be able to slide up or down, and it doesn't happen when I'm playing the strings on the Korg. I think I can set up my expression pedal to do it. But I'm open to alternative ways to do it.

Most piano style keyboards for the computer have a pitch shift wheel. That's how you do it. You can also edit in the piano roll afterwards.