Thread: Confusing Strats for Sale on Reverb

Confusing Strats for Sale on Reverb

I'm posting this in the Strats section because the only guitars I see on Reverb deserving a second look are Stratocasters. But rather than raise my GAS level, they leave me confused and questioning. I'm pretty sure it's me, but every one of these Strats seems to have a bit of a deal-killer about them. Mind you, that's MY deal-killer, so I don't presume to place my values on anyone else.

Here's a purple Player Lead III MIM. Maybe it's the purple color (I like it!). I don't even object to the Pau Ferro fingerboard. Maybe it's the humbuckers? Silly me, I still don't think humbuckers fit on a Fender solid body.

Here's one that would really get my juices flowing. It's an American Pro II with roasted pine body, maple neck, deep C neck with narrow tall frets. And a humbucker... Actually, I don't think I'd like the neck and frets, but it's a nice looking guitar. However, I'll pass.

The Beatles background does a disservice to this guitar, a 1979-1982 Strat in Sienna Sunburst with a maple fretboard. It's got some "honest" road wear and has had a refret, new tuners and controls. Neck and body have matching serial numbers, and the pickups are originals. Nice, but no cigar.

Well, it's fun to look.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: Confusing Strats for Sale on Reverb

Are all Lead II's hardtails, guess they are. That's just a really bad Telecaster ;).

YMMV, but it's the springs and middle pickup that make a Strat a Strat for me.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Those midnight blue Pro II basses and guitars are attractive. Think I'll just dust off the guitars I already own and say, "Wow New Guitars Day!!!!"
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

are strings available at extra cost on the last guitar? It might be a refret but dayum, what did they do to the fingerboard? Re-radius it as well? Has it been finished in clear or is it naked? That's a deal breaker for me unless it was really good sounding and playing, ergo, no buy without a try out.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    are strings available at extra cost on the last guitar? It might be a refret but dayum, what did they do to the fingerboard? Re-radius it as well? Has it been finished in clear or is it naked? That's a deal breaker for me unless it was really good sounding and playing, ergo, no buy without a try out.
    According to the seller:
    9.5 pounds of Killer Tone. Is set up for 9-42 string set and will include a fresh set to be put on upon its delivery to its new home.Not currently strung, I would loosen the strings anyway for shipping.
    If you want the new strings put on prior to shipping, I can do.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Call me a skeptic, but I wouldn't buy a guitar pick on Reverb. I want to handle and examine the gear before I plunk down ANY money. There are some incredible fakes out there and interweb sales sites do little (if anything) to control the problem.

Just my eversohumble opinion.

I've gotten great gear off Reverb, including guitars from reputable sellers. I agree that there are plenty of knockoffs, and you have to watch whom you buy from. I have 3 geets right now that I got from them, all 3 exactly what was advertised. Again, you have to be careful as possible
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I'm pretty sure "Killer Tone" is a giant red flag. Tells you all about the seller you need to know.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim