Thread: The Thread for Super Bowel Sunday, 2/7/21

The Thread for Super Bowel Sunday, 2/7/21

Not meant to be a slam, but just an attention-grabber. In my younger days I was all caught up in American football, but these days it's just a thing. I'll probably watch the game tonight just because there's nothing else going on in my world today, but I don't care about the outcome and even the ads don't do it for me.

A week late, I went to my daughter's last night to celebrate her birthday. It was an odd occasion in that a hearing aid battery of hers dropped in the kitchen and we spent hours searching for it. Afraid that my one year-old grandson may have swallowed it, they took him to the ER for x-rays, but came up blank. We wound up having a late dinner, but had a good time.

I was rousted from sleep this morning by the sound of my server fans revving up. When my server boots, it makes quite the roar until everything settles in, so an unexpected reboot indicates a power outage. It was very brief, not even requiring me to reset the clock on most of my electronics, but enough to trigger a restart. I added some hard drives to it this week and was going to reboot it to configure the drives in BIOS, so that wasn't quite the way I planned it. Sigh.

Snow coming down. It's not supposed to yield much, but our weather forecasters haven't been right yet about snowfall around here, so it may turn out to be a whopper. I'm prepared in any case. Server. Guitar. Super Brawl. That's my day. I hope yours in enjoyable, as well.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: The Thread for Super Bowel Sunday, 2/7/21

Wowser! It’s ten degrees below zero this morning here on the western shore of Lake Michigan; quite a change from the 37 degrees a week ago and I guess it’s supposed to stay about the same for the next 10 days.

After trying for two weeks to get it, my wife and I managed to get our first Covid shots yesterday and are on the schedule for the second In a few weeks. One of my best friends and his wife both ended up experiencing the infection with him spending a week in the hospital on oxygen and I sure do not want that. He tells me it is a real ass-kicker that he still feels the effects of.

Hope all have a great Sunday.

Good morning! I don't follow football, but allow myself to get into the Superbowl. I'd love to see Brady win just to stick it to all the H8ters. We expect some snow today and also later in the week. That means the Mrs. will be headed down to her son's house to do Grandma duty while they are at work and our granddaughter does remote learning. I get to crank up the surround sound when she's not home. Maybe I'll even hook up the theater projector!

A somewhat light week - few responsibilities except for attending webinars that I'm not presenting at, so precious little to set up for. Hell, the camera wil lbe off - I don't even have to wear pants!

I am chairing a search committee for Discovering Amistad (we own the ship "the Amistad" and run educational programming from it) and we will be reviewing candidates for Executive Director this week. That will be some work, but with an exec we will be able to do a lot more. Sadly, with COVID we haven't been able to sail much this year and predict little sailing this year. The crew quarters do not lend themselves to social distancing.

Connecticut is supposed to open up the next round of COVID to include over 65 so I'll be able to start trying to get an appointment within the next week or two. They are also going to add "at risk" people so the Mrs., who is a smoker, will likely be able to get hers at the same time.

Stay well!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Another Sunday! Pretty chilly here today and expecting a light dusting of snow. Will get out and enjoy it somehow. Funny thing around here is that when it’s sunny, the streets are packed...regardless of temp, but even moreso when it’s warmer. Make it a bit cooler and put a cloud or two in the sky, it’s only the dedicated that are out and about. I prefer the latter....I’m out walking or skiing or snowshoeing every day. Nice days with lots of people ruin it for me!

Otherwise, not a whole lot going on here. In the middle of replacing the body on my CV Tele and realized the body cavities in the new body are not shielded. Ordered and waiting for some shielding paint. But I’ve dry fitted all the parts and it’s gonna look good!

No football for me. Haven’t watched a Super Bowl since XXIII. Cut the cable years ago, no broadcast TV in my house so couldn’t watch it if I wanted to. Same with the rest of the pro sports this year - the whole thing just seems, meh. I had a hard time getting into the Dakar this year, too.

We're taking it easy, watching the snow fall and I'm playing my new amp. No. Not the JCM 800, but the Dr. Z Z-Wreck that I bought yesterday. I have to write some gear sale ads later.

I hope you guys who love football enjoy the Super Bowl today. I know it's a special time for you. i really mean it. I don't even know who's playing, except I heard something about Tom Brady. I seriously wouldn't know him if I met him on the street. It's okay: he doesn't know who I am either. ha ha My son surprised me and came to spend the day and night. He made the most amazing baguettes for breakfast, I mean, Parisians would have eaten them and thought they came from Madame Bajon's bakery.

I finished putting side dots on that terribly "relic'd" Strat neck I got from my best pal, and I've put the first coat of poly on the fingerboard. It won't look the greatest, but it'll play well. I agree with Serge that the necks from that time feel awfully good.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

chilly but unseasonable, snow has started about 45 minutes ago, due to keep going until 9 PM tonight. First of 3 expected snowfalls this week. The third one suddenly got upgraded to a whopper. La Nina minimal snowfall winter, eh? Color me skeptical.

I stupidly let my hands get cold this week, drove without wearing gloves and now I'm paying the price. My left index finger is giving me the 3rd degree after I tried to play a bit yesterday. It's painful to type today. Frustrating as I got my new Raw Vintage springs yesterday and wanted to install, set up and play today. It's hard to believe that 20 minutes of a cold steering wheel can cause this prolonged pain. When will I learn that just because 37 degrees feels mild after days of teens that it is still too dang cold?

Keeping an eye on forecast this week, supposed to have an appointment on Saturday to make up the missed one due to nor'easter last Monday.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Watched the sun come up over the ice on the bay this morning. No big fish but I brought a bag of perch home for the Mrs. 6°F when I left the house. Grilled hot dogs while we were fishing and they never tasted so good.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Well, my mellow day changed pretty quickly. Washing machine was running and then a huge BANG and then it powered down. So I get my toolkit out and pull it apart to see what went wrong. Visually it looked fine - no evidence of a destructive event. Had to take half the thing apart to release the door latch that locked up when it failed. Ran it through a few diagnostic cycles and it kept throwing an error related to water temp, so likely a sensor to blame, although it could also be the entire CCU. Try as I might, I couldn’t get the error codes cleared so I threw in the towel. This time. In any case, this machine is pushing 20 years old and overdue for replacement. I’ve had this machine apart more than a few times over the years replacing one part or another. So after a morning of working on that, spent half the afternoon shopping for a new one. Having a new unit delivered mid week. Thankfully I have enough clean underwear to carry me through! Then moving some furniture around and broke a couple of plates. While I was online shopping, my prized PJ bass and it’s guitar hanger broke free of its wall mount and fell to the floor right beside me. I nearly jumped through the ceiling.

I figured that was three things broken today so my run of misfortune should be over. Still a few more hours in the day, though. Think I’ll lay low!

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

If you turn your drawers inside out you can wear them for another five days.

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    If you turn your drawers inside out you can wear them for another five days.

haha! At least!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    Well, my mellow day changed pretty quickly. Washing machine was running and then a huge BANG and then it powered down. So I get my toolkit out and pull it apart to see what went wrong. Visually it looked fine - no evidence of a destructive event. Had to take half the thing apart to release the door latch that locked up when it failed. Ran it through a few diagnostic cycles and it kept throwing an error related to water temp, so likely a sensor to blame, although it could also be the entire CCU. Try as I might, I couldn’t get the error codes cleared so I threw in the towel. This time. In any case, this machine is pushing 20 years old and overdue for replacement. I’ve had this machine apart more than a few times over the years replacing one part or another. So after a morning of working on that, spent half the afternoon shopping for a new one. Having a new unit delivered mid week. Thankfully I have enough clean underwear to carry me through! Then moving some furniture around and broke a couple of plates. While I was online shopping, my prized PJ bass and it’s guitar hanger broke free of its wall mount and fell to the floor right beside me. I nearly jumped through the ceiling.

I figured that was three things broken today so my run of misfortune should be over. Still a few more hours in the day, though. Think I’ll lay low!
    sounds like you kicked a black cat as it was crossing your path, stepped on a crack when you did that, sending the cat flying into a mirror and breaking it (the mirror, not the cat) all while walking under a ladder.

I'd go back to bed.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    sounds like you kicked a black cat as it was crossing your path, stepped on a crack when you did that, sending the cat flying into a mirror and breaking it (the mirror, not the cat) all while walking under a ladder.

I'd go back to bed.
    Haha - if I didn’t have bad luck, I’d have no luck at all!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    Haha - if I didn’t have bad luck, I’d have no luck at all!
    There's a song in there somewhere.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

I hope you guys enjoyed Super Bowl. I don't watch football (at least not the US version, only Soccer) but everytime I see something about a Super Bowl I remember this