Thread: Looking for my old amp

Forum Member

Looking for my old amp

I bought a fender "reverb" back in 79 or 80. I distinctly remember a push/pull boost knob on the second bank of controls. From what I found it seems that this was a deluxe. But I've only found that they have a 1x12 and only 20W. However I am also pretty sure I had 2x12 and somewhere closer to 80W. I can't remember if it had vibrato or not. If it did, I didn't use it. Any suggestions. This was not an old amp. I can't say it was new either but it was not like a 60s amp. I'm probably letting my mind get the best of me. I know it had a boost. And I'd like to think I remember 2x12. Besides telling me I drank too much beer and smoked too much pot, anyone have any idea what I might be talking about? Was there an amp like this or did I dream up a frankenstein version of a fender of my dreams?

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Looking for my old amp

The silverface Twin Reverb (a 2 x 12 platform) featured a "pull-boost" switch on the master volume control from 1972 onward. Initially a 100-watt amp, it morphed into a 135-watt behemoth in late 1977 with the introduction of the "ultra-linear" model. Both the master volume control and the boost switch were of dubious value.

The silverface Deluxe Reverb (1 x 12, 20 watts) introduced a "pull-boost" switch on the vibrato channel's volume control in early 1978. The 1 x 10 Princeton Reverb was similarly upgraded around the same time. The boost function on these two amps was also footswitch controllable using Fender's traditional single-button switch.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Welcome to the forum

Totally agree with phantomman.

During that time period the only 2-12 combo amp was a Twin Reverb or a Pro Reverb.

Perhaps you bought an Ultralinear Pro Reverb. 70 watts, Master volume/w pull boost. If it was made after '76

Without more details, we'll never know for sure.

Back in the 70's I traded a 3/8 inch Chicago Pneumatic air wrench for a Epiphone ES-335 with a bolt on neck. I traded that for a banjo, then I traded that banjo for a 61 princeton amp. In the end, I came out ahead.

Frankly I don't remember it exactly. I just know I started out with a Chicago Pneumatic air wrench and ended up with a 61 Princeton.

Definitely an amp like that existed, and it's not a product of your dreams, foggy pot remembrances or alcohol fueled memories aside.

Either a Twin Reverb or a Pro Reverb.

Cheers,

You sure it wasn't one of the Rivera Era amps? I know they had the "pull boost" and I had a Concert 4-10 model, but there was a 1-12 model too and it was 60 watts.
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash