Thread: Stopped Smoking. Think I've Got This

Stopped Smoking. Think I've Got This

I quit smoking over a week ago. At first, the cravings were horrible, and my depression and anxiety have been elevated, but the cravings are manageable. The fears I had about how depressed and anxious I'd be were exaggerated. True that it was awful for a few days. The change of lifestyle has been harder than dealing with the cravings. I'm over it now and happier to have that time to get things done. I've been wanting to quit for years. Like a lot of guys my age, I had to have a bit of a scare to make the break. I know the cravings will come and the psychological needs will scream, but I've got this. I can handle whatever.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I quit smoking over a week ago. At first, the cravings were horrible, and my depression and anxiety have been elevated, but the cravings are manageable. The fears I had about how depressed and anxious I'd be were exaggerated. True that it was awful for a few days. The change of lifestyle has been harder than dealing with the cravings. I'm over it now and happier to have that time to get things done. I've been wanting to quit for years. Like a lot of guys my age, I had to have a bit of a scare to make the break. I know the cravings will come and the psychological needs will scream, but I've got this. I can handle whatever.
    Way to go! Keep it up, Willie!

Re: Stopped Smoking. Think I've Got This

I quit when I got married.

Actually it was easier than I thought. Keep it up, Willie!

I quit in 2012, so going on 9 years now. Good for you, cw !
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Hardest thing I ever did. Put on A LOT of weight because I didn't understand how it would affect me and how to prepare.

Still glad I quit - I was 2 packs a day - you could still smoke at your desk then (gawd - am I that old now?)

Everything smells and tastes better now.

Hang in for the long haul and remember - you can't have "just one" you just can't
    otherwise: you haven't quit.......now have you?
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

I did a search for a stopped smoking thread and found one from a few years ago. A lot of you were talking about stopping. I talked about how proud I was of my mother for having just stopped smoking after 70 years. Sadly that same year, she was diagnosed with lung cancer, ups and downs until she died of it in April 2019.

That's motivation enough to make it.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I quit smoking in 1980 and haven’t touched a cigarette or cigar since. I think one of the best things I did for myself was to NOT think about how long it had been since I quit or had that last smoke. After three days the physical cravings seemed to die down so it became easier and easier to stop thinking about “that last one”.

Goog luck with your endeavor, your body will thank you!

Congratulations, Willie!

I quit 28 years ago. Like you, I found that I was actually more addicted to the act of smoking than I was to the smoking itself. You know, get a cup of coffee, light up. Turn the ignition key, light a cigarette, etc. etc. etc.

As soon as I "retrained" myself to not want to reach for a smoke, it got a whole lot easier from then on. I am aware of the "one day at a time" philosophy, and highly recommend it. At some point, you'll get a startled thought: I didn't think about smoking today.

Victory!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Forum Member

CH Willie, I quit when the price went to $2 a pack. I really had no problems, but my brother in law can't seem to quit. I think for some of us its "mental" more than physical. Yeah food tastes better, (I put on weight), and sometimes others are jealous.
    I've told others they can quit anytime they want to, and if they want to they will! Good luck to you!

Thanks, Bill, and thanks to all of you. I regret that I didn't quit decades ago; the only excuse I have is that work always made me extremely anxious, and cigarettes were an emotional security blanket. I didn't realize that i could actually do it.

I had a craving this morning, and I laughed at it. It was a strong craving, but I actually, literally laughed at it.
    Last edited by ch willie; 02-04-2021 at 02:13 PM.

Interestingly enough, I started smoking cigarettes around the age of 18 or 19, but never really got addicted to tobacco.

All these years my smoking habit would be "buy a pack, smoke a few, forget about it". Most of the cigarette packs I bought were thrown away half full, for being too old. I smoked constantly, like every other day, but never too many cigarettes at a time and not everyday in a row. That lasted about 20 years. I quit easily, and don't miss it except when other people smoke near me. Even then it's not a craving, it's more like "hey, I could use one myself".

My wife doesn't like it, and it's bad for me anyway, so I retired my Zippo. Only use it to light incense sticks now.

My dad was an expert at quitting cigarettes - he must have quit a couple hundred times - trouble is he started smoking 201 times. The wife smokes - I keep trying to encourage her to quit but she is the same way - it's the lighting up that is her pleasure. It's too much a part of her comfort zone. I guess I can't complain - she really has been doing well on her sobriety. One thing at a time.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Way to go, man. I quit well over 15 years ago, and you find that your fear that you won't be able to regulate your mood without it is an illusion... once you get past the physical addiction, you find that your mood and personality are much more even and easy without tobacco.

Congrats on making the first week! The rest is easy.

Thanks, Jim. Today I’ve had some strong cravings, but pfffffft. I’m too proud of myself to give in.

Still tobacco free after a month. You who've quit know the benefits. Here's one I didn't expect: I am sleeping normal hours for the first time in years and years. I was waking at 3am every morning, and of course I was often so tired that a day would be a total loss. I slept until 7:30 this morning. I didn't realize how rested I could feel. I haven't taken a nap since my sleeping is normal. So I won't smoke 'em, cos I ain't got 'em.

My cravings are so light now, i go days without even thinking of cigs. I'm surprise at how it's gone. I still get an occasional strong one, but that's an exception, and even then I can handle it.

how much were packs of smokes down there? I think they were in the high 7s low 8s here, and as much as 4, 5 bucks more in MA . Start an Excel sheet that runs a daily total, go back and figure out how much you would have spent. On your anniversary of quitting, marvel at how much money it is. Even better, do some pretend stock buying and see what your 'investments' could have made.

TFF Stage Crew

June 24, 2004 was my last cigarette. I've had a lot of bad habits but for some reason quitting smoking is the only one I remember my quit date.
    God bless & keep going

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    how much were packs of smokes down there? I think they were in the high 7s low 8s here, and as much as 4, 5 bucks more in MA . Start an Excel sheet that runs a daily total, go back and figure out how much you would have spent. On your anniversary of quitting, marvel at how much money it is. Even better, do some pretend stock buying and see what your 'investments' could have made.
    I don't know how much a pack was. I rolled my own, Drum tobacco, like that I smoked in Europe. Tasted totally different from any of our cigs or tobaccos. A hint of chocolate almost to it when it was fresh. It was never fresh here.

Still, I was spending about $70 a month.

I mixed my weed with tobacco, and since I've stopped tobacco, my weed consumption is about a 1/5th of what it was. I'm going to make edibles soon and quit toking it altogether.

Thank you, cogs. I'm always glad to see you here. Hope you're well.

huh, I was rolling my own as well and I hear ya about the freshness. If I was lucky I got a package that was from a freshly opened shipment. I was double zip lock bagging it to try to keep it fresh longer.

I never mixed the weed with it, though. I was smoking that before the cigarette, as I used the tobacco to cover the smell. I preferred to use a bowl back in the day as I tried to conserve the weed. Joints are just so inefficient (but fun).

The dregs of the drum package were the pits, though. The last one was July of 2012, right after the 4th. I finished it, went a few days, then bought a pack of Camel unfiltered. They were dreadful. I cut one open and it was mostly full of the stuff I picked out of the drum. I soaked the rest of the pack in water to make retrieving them from the trash untenable. And yes, I've done that when I tried quitting before.

Still tobacco free after a month. You who've quit know the benefits. Here's one I didn't expect: I am sleeping normal hours for the first time in years and years. I was waking at 3am every morning, and of course I was often so tired that a day would be a total loss. I slept until 7:30 this morning. I didn't realize how rested I could feel. I haven't taken a nap since my sleeping is normal. So I won't smoke 'em, cos I ain't got 'em.

My cravings are so light now, i go days without even thinking of cigs. I'm surprise at how it's gone. I still get an occasional strong one, but that's an exception, and even then I can handle it.
    Great work! One day at a time, eh?

Well Done .... Excellent, keep focused as there's still a long road ahead,

I started at school when shops would sell you a single cigarette and a match and only quit 30 years later when diagnosed with COPD. Don't let smoking rob you of your health as well as your wealth ? (believe it's £10 a 20 pack in UK now).

stay strong you can beat it.

An Old Beginner - Squire Stratocaster affinity CII, Brown Sunburst, S/S/H

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    When I quit smoking the price for a pack of Marlboros just went to $.85 a pack and I thought that was ridiculous. When I started smoking I think they were $.25 a pack but increased to $.35 shortly after. I just checked and found the cost here now is $8.00 a pack. WOW! In Vietnam it was $1.15 a carton!

Congratulations and good luck with your endeavor, Willie!

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    When I quit smoking the price for a pack of Marlboros just went to $.85 a pack and I thought that was ridiculous. When I started smoking I think they were $.25 a pack but increased to $.35 shortly after. I just checked and found the cost here now is $8.00 a pack. WOW! In Vietnam it was $1.15 a carton!

Congratulations and good luck with your endeavor, Willie!

8 Dollars a pack? Wow!

I really appreciate the encouragement guys. I've wanted to quit for decades, and I was always afraid of the depression and anxiety I already have would be unbearable. I did get terribly depressed--for two or three days. I regret all those years that I could have quit but was literally afraid to, as if nicotine was as important to my mental health as Prozac is. What a waste of money, time, and health. I'm going to make it. I've never felt so strong about it, never felt more determined.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    8 Dollars a pack? Wow!
    $15 a pack in my part of Canada. A pack, not a carton. I had to look it up since I haven’t bought smokes since the early 90s.

mostly sin tax, as far as I understand.

Cigarettes are over $12.00 a pack here in CT.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I really appreciate the encouragement guys. I've wanted to quit for decades, and I was always afraid of the depression and anxiety I already have would be unbearable. I did get terribly depressed--for two or three days. I regret all those years that I could have quit but was literally afraid to, as if nicotine was as important to my mental health as Prozac is. What a waste of money, time, and health. I'm going to make it. I've never felt so strong about it, never felt more determined.
    Well, you’re doing it today and that’s all that matters right now. What’s done is done!

A little anecdote: my Mom smoked since her early teens. She tried many many times to quit but couldn’t do it. She’s 76 this year.

Last year we had to move her to assisted living due to mobility but most importantly memory loss and the lack of ability to care for herself. She was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. The interesting thing is that she quit smoking at some point. We’re not exactly sure when. But now she says: “What do you mean? I never smoked!” The mind is a tricky thing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    mostly sin tax, as far as I understand.
    Surely you remember the hype! The taxes will go to healthcare for the people who smoked, (not in our state!)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    Surely you remember the hype! The taxes will go to healthcare for the people who smoked, (not in our state!)
    Goes into the general revenue account in this province. Health is funded from another envelope. I’d be very surprised if every penny of tobacco tax collected goes right into the health envelope.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    Well, you’re doing it today and that’s all that matters right now. What’s done is done!

A little anecdote: my Mom smoked since her early teens. She tried many many times to quit but couldn’t do it. She’s 76 this year.

Last year we had to move her to assisted living due to mobility but most importantly memory loss and the lack of ability to care for herself. She was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. The interesting thing is that she quit smoking at some point. We’re not exactly sure when. But now she says: “What do you mean? I never smoked!” The mind is a tricky thing.
    I'm sorry, man. I really do feel for you. My mom passed away two years ago from lung cancer that spread to her brain--smoked from the time she was 12 until she was 80. She died at 85, still mentally sharp and active until after brain surgery. I'm grateful that she lived that long, but I wish we could have had more time. She got cuter and sweeter every day.

Quote Originally Posted by sigband View Post
    There are many reasons why people vape. Many vapers can quit regular cigarettes because of the lack of toxins and the stress relief that vaping provides.
    There's still tons of toxins in those vape juices. Maybe different ones than in actual cigarettes but still.
    There is something to the idea that smoking is a physical thing as much as mental / addictive - the ritual of lighting up, or rolling one out and so forth. Using a vaper can take the edge off that part of it, plus possibly the nicotine itself.
    I haven't smoked myself, so I don't know first hand, but I've known a lot of smokers in my time.
    My grandmother smoked for probably 70 years, she did try a few times to quit, but always started back up. Then one day she just up and did it - she was ready, she said. NEver had another for the rest of her life.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

I hit six months with no cigarettes the other day. I only crave one maybe once every couple of weeks, and then I forget about it and do something else. i don't miss it. I thought my anxiety would go through the roof, and it didn't.

Vaping is a way of putting off the nicotine withdrawals. I wish it weren't dangerous, but it is, and I don't know if it is any better than tobacco.

TFF Stage Crew

I quit smoking long before vaping became a thing, so I'm not familiar with the detractors; but I can't imagine that it is worse than basically sucking a bunch of soot & ashes into your lungs