Thread: Need neck ideas for 78 Stratocaster...

Forum Member

Need neck ideas for 78 Stratocaster...

I have a 78 Strat that over the years has become a partscaster. I purchased it around '85 for $200 and like many made regrettable modifications. The natural-finish body was routed to accommodate a humbucker and repainted, the original damaged maple neck was traded in for one of those Fender 60s-style replacement necks with no logo on the front but instead a nickel-sized Fender coin on the back of the headstock. The guitar served me well for many years but has been a wall-hanger for most of the last ten. I'd like to return it to a somewhat reasonable facsimile of what a '78 Strat should look and play like and the first step is a period-accurate neck (large headstock, correct decal, bullet truss rod). Looking around at eBay and Reverb I see that a vintage rosewood neck will run from $900 to $1200, and naturally they all seem to have issues. I'm keeping the current paint job which my late-Father did back in the 80's and has sentimental value. I like the color and the 30+ years of authentic relic'ing, so I'm not opposed to a neck similarly relic'ed. The current neck required the body to be drilled for 4-bolt so I can keep it like that or go back to 3-bolt (my preference). I realize returning it to 3-bolt will require some additional wood work, but I can live with that. I had wanted an American made neck but seeing the prices for vintage quickly determined that I may need to be flexible there. My usual go-to is Stratosphere, but they don't have much to choose from right now. I don't care for the look of Pau Ferro, I want 21 frets, rosewood, and as I said prefer a 3-bolt if possible.

Thoughts?

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Need neck ideas for 78 Stratocaster...

You might look into buying a MIM 70's Classic Series Strat and use it as a donor. The necks on them are generally quite nice though AFAIK they featured only maple fretboards. However, it would have the correct 21-fret configuration, vintage fret size, original fretboard radius, and "official" Fender headstock markings. I've seen such guitars listed on Ebay for as low as $650.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    You might look into buying a MIM 70's Classic Series Strat and use it as a donor. The necks on them are generally quite nice though AFAIK they featured only maple fretboards. However, it would have the correct 21-fret configuration, vintage fret size, original fretboard radius, and "official" Fender headstock markings. I've seen such guitars listed on Ebay for as low as $650.
    Not a bad idea. Thanks.

Incidentally, those Classic 70's necks are 3-bolt, just as the originals. Use your 3-bolt neckplate (if possible) since the re-issues are not stamped with a serial number. Also (and I know of this only anecdotally) the repro "F" type tuners used on the Classic 70's, while better than the originals, are not precisely sized to duplicate the originals -- something to do with the inside diameter of the bushing. Ergo, your original "F" tuners may not fit the new neck without modification to the headstock.

Sometimes even less! I bought a near mint MIM '70s Classic Strat at a local music store last summer for $500! It's a nice looking, light, good sounding and playing Strat.

Even with the rosewood neck, I like the looks of that Strat! But then, I'm always drooling when I see a "natural wood" guitar.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Even with the rosewood neck, I like the looks of that Strat! But then, I'm always drooling when I see a "natural wood" guitar.
    Indeed, that's a beautiful specimen! The Classic 70's models were all ash-bodied and when they debuted there were four color options......red, black, white, and natural. Red was the first to be discontinued, followed by the black. I think Oly White is still available as is the natural. Unlike the original Strats from the 1970's that these "re-issues" were intended to emulate, the Classic 70's guitars were consistently good instruments. One deviation from the prototype was Fender's decision to use a "real" bridge made of steel instead of that sleazy cast Mazak monstrosity with equally mediocre cast Mazak saddles as found in the originals.

Forum Member

Indeed, that's a beautiful specimen! The Classic 70's models were all ash-bodied and when they debuted there were four color options......red, black, white, and natural. Red was the first to be discontinued, followed by the black.
    Interesting. What shade of red?

I think I was mistaken. The fourth finish option was likely 3TSB.

It's hell gettin' old.

you're probably right, 3 tone sunburst. I would have loved one in either black or natural. I tried looking online, they're going for beau coup coin now.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

The natural ash finish is nice but I always thought it looked more appropriate with black plastic parts.

The natural ash finish is nice but I always thought it looked more appropriate with black plastic parts.
    I tend to agree with you. But still... that's one good looking Strat!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Not sure why this came up in my FB feed, but Fender sells the MIM Classic Series '70s Strat neck for $299.99.

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/parts/...wlevelcarousel

+1

That'd be the ticket!

Good find, Don.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Not sure why this came up in my FB feed, but Fender sells the MIM Classic Series '70s Strat neck for $299.99.

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/parts/...wlevelcarousel
    Unfortunately no rosewood. The Pau Ferro isn't dark enough for me.

You might find a pre-ban neck in rosewood.

Keep an eye out.