Thread: Jazz Fans?

Jazz Fans?

Louis Armstrong was my first love--67 or 68. I've liked jazz as long as I can remember, but I only got into it in my 20s. I played guitar and bass in a jazz band, and i pretty much doubled my knowledge of music, arrangements, and theory. I don't listen to jazz every day, but when I do, I generally listen to pre-fusion / funk jazz. ,Louis, Ella, Cab Calloway, Duke. Fats Waller. Earl Hines. Or a little later, Wes Montgomery and George Benson (pre-hits), early Miles and early Chick Corea. Sessions players such as Larry Carlton, Steve Gadd, etc. For a while, in the sensitive male late 70s and early 80s, I was into Michael Franks. Still, "Popsicle Toes" is a fun song. Crusaders. I admire fusion players, but I'm just not into it. And I know Coltrane was a genius, but when he starts going dissonate, I lose interest. That's not fair to a man who was such a pioneering musician. Maybe one night I'll get smoked up and give it a good listen.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Jazz Fans?

Like you, I go through "phases" when it comes to jazz music. There was a period in my life when I listened almost exclusively to what is generally referred to as "smooth jazz" (a term I despise nearly as much as "new age"). Back in my college days, I listened to a lot of Joe Pass, Kenny Burrell and guitarists of that ilk. I really got into Chick Corea and Return To Forever (saw them in concert at a medium-sized venue).

I was fortunate enough to see Ella Fitzgerald sing with the Count Basie Orchestra back in my college days. And I believe I reported here some time last year that due to the COVID bandemic I had worked fastidiously on adding Ellington's "Don't Get Around Much Anymore" to my repertoire.

Dissonance also loses me. I am fascinated by jazz "flavoring," but there are times when music crosses over into noise for me. Zappa had a tendency to go that direction at times.

When I really want to enrich my guitar skills and knowledge, finding and learning a playable jazz tune is sure to do it!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

My favorite jazz guitarist was (is) George Barnes. You can find him on youtube.

This album, “The Ebullient Mr. Gillespie” is one of the first albums I purchased back in 1959 that got me into appreciating jazz music. The Jazz Crusaders, Brubeck, Jimmy Smith, Jack McDuff and many more have been enjoyed since.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Like you, I go through "phases" when it comes to jazz music. There was a period in my life when I listened almost exclusively to what is generally referred to as "smooth jazz" (a term I despise nearly as much as "new age"). Back in my college days, I listened to a lot of Joe Pass, Kenny Burrell and guitarists of that ilk. I really got into Chick Corea and Return To Forever (saw them in concert at a medium-sized venue).

I was fortunate enough to see Ella Fitzgerald sing with the Count Basie Orchestra back in my college days. And I believe I reported here some time last year that due to the COVID bandemic I had worked fastidiously on adding Ellington's "Don't Get Around Much Anymore" to my repertoire.

Dissonance also loses me. I am fascinated by jazz "flavoring," but there are times when music crosses over into noise for me. Zappa had a tendency to go that direction at times.

When I really want to enrich my guitar skills and knowledge, finding and learning a playable jazz tune is sure to do it!
    I also am not a fan of dissonance.

If I never heard George Barnes, I may never heard of Joe Venuti, or Bucky Pizzarelli. If I never heard Joe Venuti, I may never heard of Stephane Grappelli. If I never heard Stephane Grapelli, I may never heard of Jean Luc Ponty. If I never heard Ella Fitzgerald, I may never heard of Sarah Vaughan.

Back in the sixties and seventies, we didn't have you tube or spotify. We had records of people that we liked, and if they were playing or singing with someone else, then we bought those records too.

Now we just have a way for some talented people to not make much money.

Quote Originally Posted by vinyl View Post
    I also am not a fan of dissonance.

If I never heard George Barnes, I may never heard of Joe Venuti, or Bucky Pizzarelli. If I never heard Joe Venuti, I may never heard of Stephane Grappelli. If I never heard Stephane Grapelli, I may never heard of Jean Luc Ponty. If I never heard Ella Fitzgerald, I may never heard of Sarah Vaughan.

Back in the sixties and seventies, we didn't have you tube or spotify. We had records of people that we liked, and if they were playing or singing with someone else, then we bought those records too.

Now we just have a way for some talented people to not make much money.
    LOL!

I read somewhere that each generation holds with the music they grew up with. I believe that.

My father was a fan of opera and classical (orchestral) music. I yawned when he'd listen. But he also was a one-time fan of Big Band music; Paul Whiteman was his favorite, although I never saw or heard any sign that my dad owned any of his stuff. I do remember his Dave Brubeck Take Five album, and he had a number of recordings on his reel-to-reel tape deck. I still remember the look of surprise on his face one year, when for his birthday I gave him an entire Benny Goodman collection!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

I was thinking of taking a run at jazz when I studying bass with a jazz player many years ago. I even started with a jazz jam/workshop group as the second string electric bassist. Autumn Leaves and all that. Definitely challenged me on a number of levels as a musician - in a good way. Learned to apply chord theory and developed my ability to read bass charts. Was starting to make headway then injured my left hand. Since recovered from that injury but never got the "bug" to play jazz like I did back then.

Now, listening is another thing. Straight ahead jazz doesn't interest me. Bebop and variants aren't my cup o tea either. I really don't care for mainstream jazz fusion either. Don't care for most jazz singers. Jazz funk I guess is my thing - Herbie Hancock Head Hunters is my point of reference there. I'm also a fan of organ trios. Love the B3. Stanley Turrentine, Jimmy McGriff, Jimmy Smith and more recently, Delvon Lamarr. I went into variants on that theme and ended being a huge fan of Medeski Martin and Wood. But just the trio. MMW with Scofield is just a bit too far for my tastes.

At a NYE party about 20 years ago, the DJ was spinning an LP with an Atlantic label and the music was quite cool and loungey - I think it was an early incarnation of acid jazz, pre-1980s. I liked that album a lot, but it might have been the martinis talking. I never could find that album. There was a lot of organ on it.

This is what turns my crank. You might recognize the first tune (by Curtis Mayfield).