Thread: Kit builds?

Kit builds?

As much as I’d like to build a guitar from scratch, I just don’t have the skills or patience. I thought I might start with a kit build. If that went well, then I might use that as a template to build my own body (and affix a prebuilt neck). So that left me thinking - what is it I’d like to build and where would I source a kit? Here’s what I like to take a stab at:

Pine Tele body, 60s tele neck

P90 in bridge position with a stop tailpiece. No neck pickup.

One volume and perhaps one tone control.

kind of like a LP Jr. but in a Tele form factor.

I’d also consider a Filter’Tron pickup in the bridge but then I’m getting into Cabronita territory.

I have a very good idea of how I want it finished but will save that for an eventual reveal!

Question is: where would I find a kit body that would allow me to do that build? I’ve check Warmoth, Solo and a couple of others but all seem to be typical Tele p/u configuration. Does anyone make body blanks without routs?

Re: Kit builds?

I'm not sure where to get a blank body. I'd contact the sources that you mentioned and see what they can do for you.

I assembled my "Strat" and "Tele", but not from kits. I sourced bodies, necks, pickups, hardware, etc... from the best sources, finished the wood parts (except the "Strat" body), assembled the guitars, cut the nuts, and set the guitars up. The "Tele" is great! It took a couple of tries, but the Strat is very good.

I also built a kit "Strat" with my son about a dozen hears ago. It was a cheap kit. We replaced the pickups, electronics, nut and tuners, and it sounds great, but the neck and frets still have a "cheap" feel.

I recommend that you get your parts from good sources- it's best to get the body and neck from the same source, but if they're both good sources (my "Strat" has a USACG neck and an MJT body and they work well together), you should be fine. It's like cooking- use great ingredients and have fun.

With ten thumbs (let's not speak of my guitar playing!), taking on a build would be asking for trouble! But I considered it at one time when I saw the kits from Harley Benton: https://harleybenton.com/electric-guitars/diy-kits/

I've never played or heard an HB before, but folks at the lower end of the owning/playing spectrum give them high marks.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

I'd stay away from the Harley Benton stuff. It's really beginner level stuff. I played plenty of their stuff when I lived close to Thomann in Germany. HB is a good brand for beginners, but I don't think it's what you'll want.

I've seen plenty of unrouted body blanks, but do you mean a blank with the body shape you're looking for? Is it possible for you to take a solid blank and cut out the shape you want? I'm wanting to make a kind of Les Paul Jr but with a body shape similar to that of Brian May's guitar.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I'd stay away from the Harley Benton stuff. It's really beginner level stuff. I played plenty of their stuff when I lived close to Thomann in Germany. HB is a good brand for beginners, but I don't think it's what you'll want.

I've seen plenty of unrouted body blanks, but do you mean a blank with the body shape you're looking for? Is it possible for you to take a solid blank and cut out the shape you want? I'm wanting to make a kind of Les Paul Jr but with a body shape similar to that of Brian May's guitar.
    I think for me, starting from scratch is a stage 2 or 3 thing. I've got about half the tools I need. The missing pieces being a bandsaw and planer. Got almost everything else (and a half-decent framing carpenter skillset). Routing the neck pocket is something that might be well beyond my skillset. I know beginner guitar makers start with MDF or plywood to make mistakes on. But I don't aspire to be a guitar builder. More of an assembler, if that makes sense.

An elementary school friend of mine, Mike Potvin, is making some incredible stuff (and out of my price range). He also makes and sells templates, but not kits. If and when I start cutting my own bodies, I'd likely use his templates. It's his Ranchero Jr that got my wheels turning with this. Although this is *close*, I have other ideas for the finish, though.

If I start with a pre-routed but unfinished body, that would be ideal. A non-routed unfinished body my suit my requirements better if I'm hell bent on a P90 or Filter'Tron.

The other aspect is a Tele I already own. It's a CV Squier Tele Deluxe I bought while in Afghanistan (from MF) - I had all my battle buddies sign this guitar in Silver Sharpie. I like this guitar, but every time I play it, a little more Sharpie comes off. I don't want to keep doing that. I was thinking of retiring the body, putting it on display in my "studio" as a keepsake from those times. Then reuse the neck and electronics with another body. Then I started thinking about how I would want to change a Tele I'd assemble or build myself.

So, after thinking out loud here a bit, here's a rough plan:

1. Replace existing CV Tele body with an aftermarket (finished or unfinished), reuse existing neck, hardware and electronics and have that be my player. The neck is rosewood, so would have to think of a body finish that works with that. Oly White and red tort pickguard would be my first choice.

2. OR buy unfinished body/maple neck (not complete kit), reuse existing CV hardware and electronics. Still classic Tele pickup config but different body, neck. IN that case, I would go TV yellow, black pickguard and maple neck.

This gets me to the point that I can retire that keepsake body and reuse the rest of the guitar for everyday play.

3. Then, when I'm warmed up a bit disassembling and reassembling, start working on a kit. This is where the P90 or Filter'Tron could come in or I could use a standard Tele config....but then I would have two Teles in standard config.

4. Use that kit as a base for scratch building a body in the same config as above - this is where I would hit up Mike for a template.

5. Build and finish my own body. Reuse kit neck and hardware. Go with the P90 config, rework the electronics accordingly.

What my key problem is is that I don't think I can jump right to step 4/5 without a bit more experience - and acquiring a few more tools. My only experience so far is when I bought a beat-to-crap up MIM Strat body and neck from @Gravity Jim years ago, got a bunch of hardware and a pre-wired pickup harness from GFS and rebuilt that little monster with a relic finish. There's a sizeable gap from doing something like that to building my own body and custom electronics. I can solder and follow a simple circuit diagram but that's about it.

I'm trying to remember if MJT is still an independent shop or did the business get sold.

I like MJT bodies and they make custom tele and strat bodies (and Jags and basses) with pickup routing that are not traditional. IIRC they buy cut bodies and do the sanding etc to finish them. I don't know about the routing. They are not cheap, if you order one it will be top dollar or you can try to win an auction. I've been sniped so many times there (live by the snipe, die by the snipe) it drove me to order my last couple of bodies. In some cases it was less than what the body I wanted went for. SMH.

If I had a garage, shed, workshop of my own and could spray in there, I'd try my hand at finishing. For now, I'd rather let somebody else do that. Cutting my own body and routing it? I don't see myself doing that anytime soon, like if ever.

I don't know about building from a kit, if I buy my own parts I can know what quality went in there. It may not always be cheaper but if I want Raw Vintage springs, or Callahan bridges, etc I'll know what I got. You get a complete bag of parts from somebody, who is more or less likely trying to maximize their profit, it's a gamble unless they explicitly say what they are giving.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Thanks Dan. MJT seems to come very close to what I’m looking for.

I can’t seem to link it here, but there’s a Cabronita type body with a modern Fender bridge...I’ll look into that one...the one on the bottom left of this page in the first group of pictures https://www.mjtagedfinishes.com/

Our very own TeleBob (or, as he now prefers, Telenator) wrote a book on building kits a while back. It was really comprehensive on how to build them better and really make them sing. I only see the kindle version on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Guitar...dp/B08959FN8S/
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    Our very own TeleBob (or, as he now prefers, Telenator) wrote a book on building kits a while back. It was really comprehensive on how to build them better and really make them sing. I only see the kindle version on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Guitar...dp/B08959FN8S/
    Thanks GJ - I’ll check that out. Sounds like something I should be able wrap my head around.

also looks like Guitar Fetish sells something approximating what I’m looking for. At least if I botch it, I’m not out huge bucks!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    Thanks GJ - I’ll check that out. Sounds like something I should be able wrap my head around.

also looks like Guitar Fetish sells something approximating what I’m looking for. At least if I botch it, I’m not out huge bucks!
    Bob's e-mail is:

bikeshots@earthlink.net

I think he may still have some soft-cover paper versions - which are full of really great photography.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Forum Member

I too have been thinking about a guitar build, but will leave the woodworking to someone else. I've refurbed a few basket cases, and although I'm not a painter, I am satisfied with the results, (as was my beautiful bride). I'm selling an Epi SG I put together from pieces, and am thinking of directing some of the funds into this:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ash-T-Style...YAAOSwYlBZmaf3
    I want a Thinline, and want to keep the traditional Tele pick guard and control plate. I don't know if I'm ready to try a "burst" yet, but maybe something "Buck Owens"?

I have a Tele body, neck and pick guard in cart at Guitar Fetish. This is the "Lido/import" line of parts. $150+ shipping all in. I figure this is a good platform to start modding with. It's not my ultimate end goal, but gets me to the point where I can retire the keepsake body with my battle buddies' messages scrawled on it.

Going to let it sit overnight in my cart while I think on it. Picked a VWH body, normal Tele routes, vintage red tort pick guard, maple/rosewood neck with vintage amber tint. I don't expect high quality and hoping it's going to be a fairly straightforward swap for my hardware and electronics. If so, I'll have a Tele that matches the livery of my MIJ Fender PJ.

It's gonna look kind of like this:

The Tele shape with a single P90 rout and two control knobs is still eluding me.

I have a Tele body, neck and pick guard in cart at Guitar Fetish. This is the "Lido/import" line of parts. $150+ shipping all in. I figure this is a good platform to start modding with. It's not my ultimate end goal, but gets me to the point where I can retire the keepsake body with my battle buddies' messages scrawled on it.

Going to let it sit overnight in my cart while I think on it. Picked a VWH body, normal Tele routes, vintage red tort pick guard, maple/rosewood neck with vintage amber tint. I don't expect high quality and hoping it's going to be a fairly straightforward swap for my hardware and electronics. If so, I'll have a Tele that matches the livery of my MIJ Fender PJ.

It's gonna look kind of like this:

The Tele shape with a single P90 rout and two control knobs is still eluding me.
    Now that I've thought about it, I just need the body and the pick guard from GFS. I don't need a new neck - I've already got the maple/rosewood neck from the CV Squier that'll work just fine with this livery. Trusting that the new body and existing neck will fit together with minimal fuss and bother. If not, then I just grab a new neck from GFS. Its not like they're terribly expensive. This allows me to meet my immediate requirement for retiring the Afghanistan Tele body and reuse the rest of the parts. And that'll warm me up a bit for a kit build, I think. Or least identify my skills and tools gaps.

Slightly higher quality (maybe) than the GFS above - Solo guitars....Canadian company, no exchange to deal with, but close to Warmoth pricing. Gonna take a closer look at this option....hmm...they appear to Fender MIM bodies. This might work well.

Still on the hunt for a single bridge P90/Filter'Tron routed Tele body. Lots of double routed for P90 bodies, not many single routed bodies. I suppose i could just cover up the neck rout with a pick guard.

- USACG/MJT (same company?) seems like a good spot for decent quality stuff but starting to get into pricier territory. It'll be close to $1000 (CAD) in parts when I'm done.

- Warmoth - in the $1000+ price range....custom rout/finished body as per my specs....$390US ($500CAD) for body alone. Neck, another $200, pickup and hardware another $2-300. But getting really close to what I want and will allow me to assemble by myself - no woodworking or painting required.

- GFS' XGP "USA Spec" stuff is another option, but the stuff I want is not in stock. Figure about $500 in parts - body, neck, hardware, electronics. Would need to figure out the finish myself.

- GFS' Lido "Import Line" is yet another option, around $350 in parts. Same deal with finish.

Choices, choices. Do I want a nicely finished not-really-brand-name for Fender Player series prices - that I will likely never modify - OR do I want a lower quality beater that'll be a platform for any and all mods I want want to try and/or afford to make mistakes with?

The REAL question is: do I want a more expensive but modest effort project with certain outcomes....or a cheaper but bigger effort project with uncertain outcomes? Hmmmm.
    Last edited by dirtdog; 02-02-2021 at 10:51 AM.

Way beyond my knowledge or skill level, but perhaps if you looked for an Esquire body?
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Way beyond my knowledge or skill level, but perhaps if you looked for an Esquire body?

I have considered that option, but would still have to deal with the off-axis rout for the bridge pickup. I'd be better off with a pre-routed/pre-finished Cabronita body and see if I could somehow fit a P90 in there. I suspect there would be issues with doing that given size differences between P90 and Filter'Trons. Might get it close, but it likely wouldn't be "right".

The smart move would be to get an Epiphone LP Jr. and be done with it. But I don't want an LP form factor or neck.

This seems to be an option. Can choose the type of pickup rout and position (or combination). Pine is available. Price is right ($205 USD for the P90 rout option).

https://guitarmill.com/guitarmill/pr...e-guitar-body/

Longer lead times for finished bodies and getting into Warmth/USACG territory for pricing.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

As much as I’d like to build a guitar from scratch, I just don’t have the skills or patience. I thought I might start with a kit build. If that went well, then I might use that as a template to build my own body (and affix a prebuilt neck). So that left me thinking - what is it I’d like to build and where would I source a kit? Here’s what I like to take a stab at:

Pine Tele body, 60s tele neck

P90 in bridge position with a stop tailpiece. No neck pickup.

One volume and perhaps one tone control.

kind of like a LP Jr. but in a Tele form factor.

I’d also consider a Filter’Tron pickup in the bridge but then I’m getting into Cabronita territory.

I have a very good idea of how I want it finished but will save that for an eventual reveal!

Question is: where would I find a kit body that would allow me to do that build? I’ve check Warmoth, Solo and a couple of others but all seem to be typical Tele p/u configuration. Does anyone make body blanks without routs?
    You can totally order a Tele body from Warmoth with a TOM and single bridge P90. You’ll need to use the online
    builder as I don’t if they stock it
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    You can totally order a Tele body from Warmoth with a TOM and single bridge P90. You’ll need to use the online
    builder as I don’t if they stock it
    Yeah, I priced that out already. Close to $500 CAD, plus shipping (another $100). Guitar Mill is more...economical...although Warmoth, and USACG for that matter, offer painted/finished product. I'm planning on an "out there" finish, so Guitar Mill makes a bit more sense.

My issue with building is that it's too expensive. For what you spend on quality parts you can buy a really, really nice guitar and try before you buy.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Closest thing I can find for my requirements is running close to $3K. And that’s for a finish that I don’t get to choose. I think I can do a bit better than that with a self build. At this point it’ll be the third guitar I’ll build (or assemble, to be exact) so I think I’ll do better than mangling it.

I've got in my head about 3 or 4 builds I'd like to do - a LP Junior style, a Tele type (to be like Keef's Micawber,) a lefty -strung righty Strat a la |||Joe Perry's, though with Warmoth I can configure it with the controls still correct for a righty.
    PLus another I'd like to lay a layer of carbon fiber over as the finish.
    I did a bass a while back - couldn't find what I wanted so |I bought the body (jazz style; basswood with quilt maple,) neck (P- style fretless,) and finished it up.
    Came out pretty close to what I had in mind, so it's sucessful...and I've been wanting to do another ever since.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

My Lake Placid Blue Strat probably ran about 7 bills in parts. Glad I bought the body when I did. I checked eBay the other day and the bodies are 100 dollars more than they were 3 years ago for a custom order. I imagine the hardware and electronics are more expensive now, too.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"