Thread: Frets

Frets

Help a guy out?

As the specs for my custom built guitar come together, I will be needing to specify the type of frets on it.

Until I started down this path, I didn't realize all of the different pieces I need to consider to have a guitar made just for me. We (the builder and I) haven't yet gotten to the discussion of frets, but I now know we will, and just like so many other minute details, I haven't a clue. I read about "jumbo," "medium jumbo," "stainless" and so on. I read somewhere that the taller the fret, the more precision in playing is needed by the player. True?

I am not a "precision" guitarist; I don't play classical or fingerpicking but as my handle suggests, am primarily a strummer and single string lead player. I have small hands, also.

So far, the builder (Stephen Holst) has impressed me with his knowledge of over 20 years hand-making guitars, and after describing options to me and making specific recommendations, I've leaned toward his expertise. He'll likely do so when we get to the fret discussion, but I've never paid much attention to the frets when I've previously read guitar specs. Now I guess I need to know...
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: Frets

If it helps, I think the "medium jumbo" has just about become the defacto standard for modern guitars.

If you go to Stewmac and look around you'll learn about fret profiles.

Honestly, to me they all play about the same, but the narrower ones wear quicker.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

If I may offer some very good advice. Educate yourself on fret dimensions and whatnot - for instance- taller frets do not require more precision to play than a short fret. It's an interesting subject - and one that's both subjective and objective, and you should have an idea of what you like and for what reasons - that will allow you to understand what other players want to feel in their own frets - That helps me- because I'm a maker and restorer - and it's important to understand completely where your customer is coming from. That's not my advice - here comes the advice: rely on your luthier. You have one of the best luthiers in the country working on your guitar. I've been making since '88 and I'm quite good at what I do, but if I had 5 minutes in a coffee shop with Holst, I would ask him what kind of frets he likes for me- and I would listen very closely. Congrats on your Holst- it'll be awesome - he makes great stuff.
    When Guitars Are Outlawed Only Outlaws Will Play Guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by THCGuitars View Post
    If I may offer some very good advice. Educate yourself on fret dimensions and whatnot - for instance- taller frets do not require more precision to play than a short fret. It's an interesting subject - and one that's both subjective and objective, and you should have an idea of what you like and for what reasons - that will allow you to understand what other players want to feel in their own frets - That helps me- because I'm a maker and restorer - and it's important to understand completely where your customer is coming from. That's not my advice - here comes the advice: rely on your luthier. You have one of the best luthiers in the country working on your guitar. I've been making since '88 and I'm quite good at what I do, but if I had 5 minutes in a coffee shop with Holst, I would ask him what kind of frets he likes for me- and I would listen very closely. Congrats on your Holst- it'll be awesome - he makes great stuff.
    Thank you for your excellent response and words of praise for Steve Holst!

I have already indicated to him that I would listen to his advice, and he's been great at giving me choices. F-holes or round? He's described the differences in sound each generates. Bracing? X-bracing versus parallel bracing, and how they make the difference in sound. I am learning an awful lot about guitar design, at the same time learning much more about my own likes and dislikes.

We're looking a neck shape right now. I don't have a pair of calipers (but I may wind up getting a pair), but he suggested if I could, to measure the thickness of the neck at the first fret (happily, Ibanez gives that spec on their guitars, and I happen to really like the feel of the neck on my AG95QA. Incidentally, it's 21mm at the first fret and 24mm at the ninth). Before I make a firm decision, I think I'm leaning to a "soft V" profile with a 12" radius. But... I will listen to Steve and follow his guidance.
    Striving to be ordinary

I continue to maintain that if the Internet had existed when I first picked up guitar (1967-ish) I'd be a guitar god today!

I found this site, which had pretty well given me the skinny (no pun intended) on frets. I'm posting it here in case it helps someone else:

Guitar Fret Wire Sizes – All You Need to Know, Including Terminology & Charts
    Striving to be ordinary

thanks for that link, added to my reading list
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"