Thread: 75 Super Twin - 6C10 mod

75 Super Twin - 6C10 mod

First post - yay.
    I have a tube matching headache. Working on a '75 Super Twin - popping and sputtering, microphonic caps and tubes- hadn't been touched in years. Tubectomy and recap. One issue was a cold joint on a double inductor that was part of a mod. The mod is what I'm asking about. The mod replaced what I think is the 2nd preamp 7025 with a 6c10. The 6c10 is burnt like HDS - which sucks because they're 100 bucks. Killer rhymes aside, My question is: Why was this mod performed? Isn't the 12ax7 double what a 6c10 is? They're both triodes but the 12ax7 is stacked. Why switch to a 6c10? I would get it the other way around I would think. There is conflicting info on the tube set (imagine that), so I'm going by the sticker. I really feel that ripping that mod out would be a bummer, and I hate those. Anyone seen this mod before or has a clue I could barrow? Also- and this is super important- it's ok to think I'm stupid, because I've been tested and it turns out that yep - I am. Forgive me.
    When Guitars Are Outlawed Only Outlaws Will Play Guitar.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: 75 Super Twin - 6C10 mod

The 12AX7 is a dual triode -- the 6C10 "compactron" is a triple triode.

It would appear that the mod you've mentioned added an additional gain stage to the preamp.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."