Thread: My first electric guitar

Forum Member

My first electric guitar

I've been looking for comparisons online between the American Professional II Tele and American Professional II Tele Deluxe.
    Can someone explain to me the differences? Does the Deluxe have different tones, or does the Deluxe include everything on the Pro II Tele, with additional tones perhaps?
    Thanks, much appreciated.

Re: My first electric guitar

Welcome to the Fender Forum! A Telecaster would make a fine first (and perhaps last!) guitar. You say it will be your first electric guitar, but what other guitar experience do you have? I only ask because I'm not sure getting into the minutiae and differences between models will serve you that well.

By that, I mean Telecasters are known for their sound. You may have heard of "Telecaster Twang" or something like that. Your basic Tele has two pickups (neck and bridge) and a three-way switch and one volume and one tone knob. Everything after that is really personal taste. Personally, I think it's sacrilege to put a humbucker pickup on a Tele, but I have one, so I guess that makes me a bit of a hypocrite.

Notice that I haven't answered your question. There are two reasons: 1) I don't know the answer, and 2) my comments above are meant to suggest that you find a Telecaster that you like: color, sound, weight, and feel. And don't worry overly about whether it's "standard" or "deluxe."

My opinion. It's worth what you paid for it.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Forum Member

Sound advice. Thank You.
    I’ve played acoustic only for 20 years. Typically outlaw country tunes.
    I’m a fan of Waylon’s sound and style. A buddy of mine is joining my search tomorrow as he has been playing lead electric in bands forever so will be a benefit.
    Thanks again for your reply

Forum Member

And yes I do see now the Pro II Deluxe has the humbucker while the Pro II does not.
    I’m leaning more towards the Pro II based on reviews but will try everything from Squier upwards for feel and sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Totalestai View Post
    Sound advice. Thank You.
    I’ve played acoustic only for 20 years. Typically outlaw country tunes.
    I’m a fan of Waylon’s sound and style. A buddy of mine is joining my search tomorrow as he has been playing lead electric in bands forever so will be a benefit.
    Thanks again for your reply
    I am mostly an acoustic player and when I shop for an electric I always bring a friend. He knows his stuff and helps me figure out what is working and what isn't.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Forum Member

Well after several comparison sessions I went with the Dark Night Pro II. I located a mint Player MIM butterscotch used for $600 Cdn but ultimately decided to go with the new Pro II. I know the value was in the Player model but part of my decision was that it was my first electric and I was drawn to this color at release. Granted I do believe the Player Series tone is incredible as is the Pro II. I don’t think one is better, just different. The Pro II i did find more comfortable mainly the rounded edges and the sound was preferable, again subjective.
    Buyers remorse. Subtle. Question remains how I passed on that deal and if I would have enjoyed the Player knowing I passed on the Pro II. Buying the MIM likely would have the same subtle remorse, what am I missing with the Pro II. Price aside, I think I’ll have remorse anytime I find two guitars I love the look and sound of and can only choose one. Yes we can argue we can buy both but one of these deserve all my attention at this time as it is my first electric guitar. I’ll have it later this week. I asked for the 9’s be changed to 11’s during the setup based on few musician friends recommendations.

A word about "buyer's remorse." Fuggedaboutit. In the world of guitars, and electric guitars in particular, think of them like buses: There will be another coming along soon! As the Mandalorians say, "It is the way."
    Striving to be ordinary

I get that about remorse tied to choosing one over the other. I've felt that about certain finishes, buying one but liking the other and wishing I had that too. The Players are very good. But if you are attracted to the Player's profile or sound, you have to realize that there is a difference between those and the American Pros, qualitative differences.

I think you made the right choice. You prefer its feel, and that's as important as anything else. z

Congrats on getting a super guitar.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

If it sounds good, feels good and looks good - to you - that’s all that matters. It’s kind of like your first girlfriend/boyfriend....there might be others down the road but you’ll only have one “first”!

I *will* suggest you might regret those 11s. I’m a hard and heavy player and 10s are my limit. Thinking of switching to 9s, actually. AND I play bass, so it’s not like I can’t handle a big string!

Forum Member

I'm new to the Tele but not to electric guitars...I second the idea to just play one that you like and forget about all of that other stuff. I've seen pros play partscasters with issues but they always say something like "I know it's a parts-caster mongrel but it plays and sounds beautiful so it's my favorite guitar...."

If they can say that...we can too.

As for partscaster, they can be CS level. I'm thinking Phantomman and Dan the Blues Dude have made some pretty good ones. Rog, I forget whether you use all Fender parts. Anyway, you've got incredible guitars.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Some of my favorite guitarists love guitars in general and own some really nice ones, but have the ability to take a piece of driftwood and make it sound great. John Fogerty made some pretty amazing music from a baseball bat.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    Some of my favorite guitarists love guitars in general and own some really nice ones, but have the ability to take a piece of driftwood and make it sound great. John Fogerty made some pretty amazing music from a baseball bat.
    Of course we all know Brian May's guitar. I so love that guitar and could get a great repro from Brian May Guitars. But all those buttons? I mean, c'mon man: just use an equalizer. lol). But I want to build a guitar that looks like his, but with only 1 toggle.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Of course we all know Brian May's guitar. I so love that guitar and could get a great repro from Brian May Guitars. But all those buttons? I mean, c'mon man: just use an equalizer. lol). But I want to build a guitar that looks like his, but with only 1 toggle.
    Don't forget: Brian May is an astrophysicist. He's probably not comfortable without all those buttons. They probably send signals to charting programs and to the ISS.
    Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Don't forget: Brian May is an astrophysicist. He's probably not comfortable without all those buttons. They probably send signals to charting programs and to the ISS.
    Well I'm a PhD in language and lit, and you don't see me taping Hamlet to mine! lol. I love Brian May, and he is incredibly talented and intelligent.

I hate having even tone knobs. I wish all of my guitars had a toggle and a volume knob, that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Well I'm a PhD in language and lit, and you don't see me taping Hamlet to mine! lol. I love Brian May, and he is incredibly talented and intelligent.

I hate having even tone knobs. I wish all of my guitars had a toggle and a volume knob, that's it.
    I'm with you, Willie.

My long-time go-to guitar is/was my Gibson ES-225t. A single pickup, with one volume and one tone knob. All I've ever really done with it is set the volume output dependent on the room (and my preferences). Even with a Strat, with three pickups, a five-way selector switch and three controls (not to mention coil-tapping) I rarely adjust anything after I start to play.

Perhaps that limits the extent of my expressionist capabilities, but that's how I've played for decades. It's tough changing old habits.
    Striving to be ordinary