Thread: Feedback when adding reverb to Movie imported into Logic Pro

Feedback when adding reverb to Movie imported into Logic Pro

while I was checking the storage capacity on my music computer, i found some Quicktime video files i filmed at my old family home, playing my nephew's acoustic that I borrowed for about 3 years. There was about 3 GB of video in 5 files but the nostalgia factor kept me from deleting them.

For grins and giggles, I decided to see if I could import into Logic Pro. Turns out it was even easier than I thought. Now we're having fun, I thought "Hey, let's throw some Abbey Road plate reverb on there" from my Waves plugin. Mmm, sounds good. Er, whot? Where's that whine coming from ... omg ... it's getting louder AAaarrgh me ears !!!" Full blown howling feedback fusing my headphones to my skull. WTF??? There's no mic, no pickup, how on earth is this feeding back?

Thinking it was just an anomaly, I tried it again. eeeeEEEEE skkkrrrccckkk !!! Yeah, let's not do that anymore, shall we? I tried some of Logic Pro's plugins, some of the more ambient ones didn't take off as badly but there were weird artifacts. I'm not sure why this is the case. I've never had any problems when I record guitar direct and add reverb later.

A nice chap from old Blighty responded on a recording forum that this is apparently not only possible but also normal. Well, slap me silly and call me Sally. "Just turn down the knob on the plugin that controls the regeneration or feedback on the plugin" Hmm, ah, er ... I don't see anything that would seem to be analogous to that kind of function.

I am baffled
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Re: Feedback when adding reverb to Movie imported into Logic Pro

It's not a "feedback" control on your reverb plug.

You are somehow routing the affected guitar back into the same track. Check your routing and figure out how that's happening.

Re: Feedback when adding reverb to Movie imported into Logic Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Jim View Post
    It's not a "feedback" control on your reverb plug.

You are somehow routing the affected guitar back into the same track. Check your routing and figure out how that's happening.
    D'oh, I just realized what I should have done. I should do a send to an aux channel with the reverb on that.

Thanks, Gravity Jim
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"