Thread: Strat Neck Project Question

Strat Neck Project Question

I've told the story of this neck a few times, so I'll skip it, except to say a nutter put oil on it, trying to Claptonize it. The back of the neck is still a semi gloss. but El Gooberooni had sanded the coating off the fretboard, so I went ahead and sanded as much of the stain off as possible. It doesn't look perfect but in person, it looks a lot better.

I used a sanding block, and I got a smooth sanding from it. but I'm sure I need to add some finish to keep the strings from chewing up the fretboard.

I'm not brave enough yet to defret it and refinish. I take it that I can tape the frets and work from there.

Do you guys have suggestions for what I should do next? More sanding to try to get rid of the rest of the oil stains? Then what should I finish it with, something non-sticky.

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Strat Neck Project Question

Before you start anything, find the rectal nugget who did that and shoot him in the head. TWICE!

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Before you start anything, find the rectal nugget who did that and shoot him in the head. TWICE!

Normally I would, but he was nice but stooooopid German police sgt who spent some of his savings on a place where we could all meet to play. Put off by his own botch, he gave the neck to my best friend, who gave it to me, never expecting me to use it.

I agree that it's awful, but the sentimental value of the gift outweighs the looks, and it must be played.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

tinted tung oil?
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    tinted tung oil?
    I thought about that, but wouldn't the strings still chew up the fretboard?

I've never finished the wood on anything before, so I was hoping someone had some tips. My kids keep reminding me to check YouTube vids before doing anything outside of my realm.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

There may be a couple of different routes to restoring that neck but they both demand a complete fret removal and a careful block sanding all the way down to the substrate (unless you desire the feel of a scalloped fretboard).
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

For right now, I'm not going to completely refinish the neck. It does have a lot of honest wear on it. The oil stains are really the only fake relic'd part about it. One day, I'll do a fret job on it, and I'll take the time to get rid of the stains. At the moment, I just want to get something on there to protect the fretboard when I play.

I've decided to go with wipe-on satin poly.

The neck feels great to play, and it's going to make a fine part of a Strat. None of my guitars is really relic'd. The natural wear on it is special to me, so fuck what people think about its looks. I ain't playing live again anyway.
    Last edited by ch willie; 01-28-2021 at 03:22 AM.