Thread: AmPro Lefty Jazz Bass Ready to Play

AmPro Lefty Jazz Bass Ready to Play

Side dots installed. Tuners. All American Pro parts. I still need to do a setup. Sounds great. I love the feel of the neck. Very comfortable in my hands.

The body weighs 6.6 pounds. Not sure about the neck, but the neck is light. Of my 3 Fenders, it's the lightest.

At low volumes, meh. Cranked--it's like Shaft, a bad mother-shut-yo-mouth!

Last edited by ch willie; 01-27-2021 at 12:48 AM.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: AmPro Lefty Jazz Bass Ready to Play

YeeeHaaaaaaw!

That is so upside down and backwards I bet I could give it a go!

Congratulations Brother.

In the best of health.

What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Quote Originally Posted by CoyotesGator View Post
    YeeeHaaaaaaw!

That is so upside down and backwards I bet I could give it a go!

Congratulations Brother.

In the best of health.

I really appreciate it. I know I've presented a few new guitars here lately, but each one is special to me and long considered. Except this one that just fell together from deals I saw online.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Looks real nice, Willie. Had me crossing my eyes a bit, so I have to ask: The neck and bridge still look rightie; how does the string tree work with the large string?
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

It is a righty neck / lefty body. Trick of the eye--the bridge is straight so intonation is no problem. I took out the nut and turned it around. No buzz. Neck is perfect. Action is set low like I like. I''ll check intonation later today. I searched the boards, and every answer I could find said to keep the string tree in its position and run the E and A through it.

Suh-weet!

Yassuh!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

I was so preoccupied by the sound that I didn't pay attention to the action--big bow in the neck. I'm facing a neurotic fear by doing my own geetar work and had never ever adjusted a truss rod, always afraid I would strip it or break it. So a little victory--I set it uip perfectly for my playing. Pretty low action with no fret buzz or fretting out. Because of the righty neck with reversed strings, the E string saddle had to be backed all the way back for intonation. Fortunately, it's perfect. I'm proud of this bass because I got the parts I wanted to put it together, and it sounds great, but also because of the modest work I've done on it--the side dots were a small victory too. I learned what not to do there, so on the righty Strat neck, I'll put lessons learned into action.

I am so digging learning about working on guitars. I want to build a matching guitar and bass with bodies shaped like a Les Paul Jr. Now that I'm retired and my anxiety levels are not always as bad, I feel less useless and discarded doing stuff like this and projects around my house.

an LP Jr bass sounds pretty cool. I wonder if there are dog ear P-90s for bass? Would a regular 6-string P-90 work?
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Oh I’m likely to put a an old humbucker in the bass and a P90 in the 6 string. Ice not seen a p90 pup on a bass. I’m sure they exist.