Thread: The Sunday Thread for January 24, 2021

The Sunday Thread for January 24, 2021

Can you believe it? It's the penultimate Sunday of January already. 2021 isn't wasting its time making its boot print!

I call this "birthday week," as today is my son-in-law's, Thursday is my sister's and Friday is my daughter's. Yesterday, as a present to my SIL, we met at the local guitar shop where he brought his Fender Jazz Bass and put it in for a setup. I'm paying, so that's my gift. He's been dormant with the instrument for a while, so I feel like my (now infrequent) trips to their house with my guitar may have inspired him to pick it up again.

Afterwards, we went to a new BBQ place that opened up and I treated them to lunch. It was great getting together with them, as always!

A quiet day planned today. We have a cold snap passing through. Dry, but chilly. A brisk walk will wake my heart up a bit!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: The Sunday Thread for January 24, 2021

Super cold (-20C) but sunny. Today will be an inside day, I think. Nothing open anyways since we are deep in another tight lockdown. Even the outdoor hockey rinks and toboggan hills are closed.

Have an online songwriting session with my band mates this afternoon. We’ve got a peer to peer solution working on Linux (Ubuntu, actually) using Jack and JackTrip. Tests earlier this week got out latency down to 20ms....totally workable.
    we’ll see how that plays out in practice though.

I bit the bullet and bought a Strymon Iridium amp simulator/cab IR pedal. Was tired of having to connect my iPhone to my AMPLIFi TT to play guitar or have my computer bog down with VSTs when recording. Now it’s one button and done and all DSP is outside the box. The Iridium, parked alongside my Ampeg SCR-DI, covers a lot of sonic ground. I was also looking at the Line6 Helix but I think I’m done experimenting with Line6 stuff. I still have my POD from 20 years ago!

I just wish I hadn’t sold my Strymon Deco pedal back in 2018. That would have been great here.

I’m just sittin’ here waitin’ to go out and push the snow shovel a bit. It started snowing some time after midnight but it is such a fine snow that there isn’t enough to require firing up the snowblower. This is the kind of weather that makes Packer games at Lambeau Field interesting to watch so today’s offering will be enjoyed by many fans. The last Packer playoff game I attended was a frigid affair with the temperature at 3 degrees at the start of the game. I don’t think I’d want to do that anymore.

I hope all have a great Sunday!

Sunny but cold here. Little planned for today. The work week hits so hard and quick that I end up needing Sundays to recharge the batteries.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Sunny, very windy and colder than a brass bra. Watching the weather for Saturday as we are going with a family only interment ceremony due to a couple of my siblings being co-morbidity high risk and not wanting to do anything indoors. So far it is looking good.

Not a lot going on today, I wanted to go for a walk and still might. I'm getting a kick out of my phone's calculation of distance walked. For the last month plus I've been doing a shuffling gait less than half my usual stride but the phone counts steps and based on my height, it figures how far I've gone. If it says I went 3 miles, it was probably more like a mile and a half

Going to get the humidifier set up today, we're getting so dried out by the hot air heat not even the natural humidity of our location can keep up. Then it will probably be football for the rest of the day. If the first game (Bucs and Packers) gets lopsided, I'll get to working on guitars.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I'm getting a kick out of my phone's calculation of distance walked. For the last month plus I've been doing a shuffling gait less than half my usual stride but the phone counts steps and based on my height, it figures how far I've gone. If it says I went 3 miles, it was probably more like a mile and a half
    What kind of phone or app are you using? It sounds like a pedometer. My phone uses GPS, and it will show me a map of where I've been and how long it took me to get there, so no cheating.
    Striving to be ordinary

We worked hard yesterday- I installed a new toilet and we tracked down and repaired a driver's power window issue (that became a mirror, lock, power seat... issue) with my sons 2009 Escalade. It turned out that the wired that provided power to the switch unit in the door was severed then all the unplugging and plugging in one of the connectors sprung its contacts! I replaced the severed wire and my son tightened the contacts. His heater blower failed on the same day! Unrelated issue, but considering that his driver's window was partially down, it kinda sucked. He replaced the motor himself. It's all good now.

ford - fix or repair daily

ford - fix or repair daily
    The Escalade is a Cadillac.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    The Escalade is a Cadillac.
    LOL. I must have been thinking of the Expedition

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    What kind of phone or app are you using? It sounds like a pedometer. My phone uses GPS, and it will show me a map of where I've been and how long it took me to get there, so no cheating.
    If it’s an iPhone, it uses the accelerometer to count steps. It’s not perfect but it’s pretty good. Even counts pedal strokes when I’m on the bicycle. Even though I’ve spent a good amount of time practicing in the field of “location analytics”, I keep the GPS in my phone turned off almost always. Except is when I fire up Waze to check traffic conditions. But even then, I haven’t done that in over a year.

And the Escape and Explorer. For had a bunch of E SUVs.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    And the Escape and Explorer. For had a bunch of E SUVs.
    Don't forget the Excurson......an SUV so large it needed its own zip code.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

I may be wrong, but I think my son's Escalade ESV is as big as an Excursion. The Ram 3500 crew cab long bed diesel dually that he replaced was even bigger.

All of the big SUVs have names beginning with "EX." I just call them "the Excessive."
    Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Don't forget the Excurson......an SUV so large it needed its own zip code.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    All of the big SUVs have names beginning with "EX." I just call them "the Excessive."
    Not sure which comment I find funnier, but both are pretty damn humorous.