Thread: Vintage Jazzmaster - What to do about frets

Forum Member

Vintage Jazzmaster - What to do about frets

This is a 1961 jazzmaster that the original owner put his name down the fretboard like the attached image back in the day. Is there anything that can be done to remove these do you think, or would I have to replace the fret board/neck. The fret board also has the binding on the side. Just looking for opinions.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4xmoxhdl0r..._2656.JPG?dl=0

Re: Vintage Jazzmaster - What to do about frets

I can't tell from the photo is the letters are glued on or inlaid. Either way, I wouldn't want to try to restore the neck to its pristine state. Either you're going to have remnants of glue, stuff or grote, or you're going to have holes. A new neck seems the easier and quicker solution.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I can't tell from the photo is the letters are glued on or inlaid. Either way, I wouldn't want to try to restore the neck to its pristine state. Either you're going to have remnants of glue, stuff or grote, or you're going to have holes. A new neck seems the easier and quicker solution.
    Thanks. That is what it is looking like.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

If the body has been definitively documented to be from 1961, I'm dubious that the neck attached to it is original to the guitar. The bound fretboard was a hallmark of the CBS era -- introduced concurrently with the block fret markers -- and it's likely that the neck is post-1965 production. Ergo, don't feel bad about replacing it.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    If the body has been definitively documented to be from 1961, I'm dubious that the neck attached to it is original to the guitar. The bound fretboard was a hallmark of the CBS era -- introduced concurrently with the block fret markers -- and it's likely that the neck is post-1965 production. Ergo, don't feel bad about replacing it.
    I wondered on this same thing. It seemed like none of the pictures from 1961 jazzmasters had binding in them. The person said they took the neck off and it is said 61 on it. Running the serial number though puts it between 66 and 67 so I am wondering if it was a 67, not a 61 written on the neck.

Thansk!

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

A distinct possibility, sir. The bound neck was introduced in late '65 (the Jaguar and Jazz Bass were also similarly enhanced), with the block markers following in early '66. The Stratocaster was also to be so favored but apparently that plan was never implemented although a handful prototypes were built (Ry Cooder owns one and a Fiesta Red example was featured in Fender's 1966 catalog).
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."